Noble names and late bastardry

Itay Horev

I was wondering - what happens if a noble is found out to be a bastard at a (very) late age? Was there such an incident in the past? I suppose he's forced to give up his noble name, but... it sounds weird.

For instance, suppose some king want to pardon Tyrion for Tywin's murder but he can't - patricide is an unforgivable crime. The solution could be declaring that Tywin was not, in fact, Tyrion's father (doesn't matter if the A+J=T theories are correct or not). Does that make Tyrion a Hill, or could he still be a Lannister?

Of course, the king could declare that he still is a Lannister, but I suppose that would require a seperate declaration.

We see with Rhaenyra's and Cersei's case that the rightful heirs can lay claim to things that the bastards are set to inherit. What happened in both of these cases was that the mothers refused to let it even be spoken that their children are bastards, so proving that they are bastards seems to be the most difficult thing. Cersei goes so far as to kill any bastards Robert might have.

But since Stannis fully intended to have Joffrey, Tommen and Myrcella paraded around King's Landing along with Edric Storm to truly prove that they were not Robert's tells me that, yes, if an heir is proven to be a bastard because his or her mother cuckolded her husband, the husband's relatives can absolutely successfully claim lands and titles.

So far it is unprecedented but yes Stannis planned on having the children stripped of legitimacy. I suspect though that the outcome of such a discovery being made public would very much depend upon the persons status with whoever holds power. And the will of the person holding power.  So Tyrion could be declared innocent of kinslaying as Tywin was not his father, but retain his legitimacy because the person on the It wants him to. They would then legitimise him under the name of his true father.

Where as Joffrey, Myrcella, and Tommen would become Hill's as Stannis would have had no desire to legitimise them.  

All three of Lucamore the Lusty´s wives kept their marriages secret from public till exposed. And by that time, the elder sons were grown.

So what DID they call themselves, and give as explanation for the total of 16 children?

Archived