So what was the third "oh shit" moment?

Selere

7 hours ago, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

Is Shireen being burnt really one of the big "oh shit" moments? I mean, it was always coming. Maybe one of them is the reveal of Jon's lineage. I mean sure, everyone also saw that coming. However mostly just because of the countless years people have had to theorise on it.

Martin confirmed that they knew that Jon was a Targ when he first met them I think. So I doubt it is this

13 hours ago, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

Ah true.

Although could it just be that he gave them the show because they gave a popular theory and thus showed some understanding of the show?

I doubt it, he made it clear that it was canon. Unless he is playing games, but I don't the see the point, could have simply omitted that. 

On 5/28/2019 at 10:57 AM, T and A said:

We don't know it and we won't know it (except a miracle happens and George actually manages to finish those books). They have said, after Season 7, that they won't tell, what is from George and what is not. They have, however said, that the third "Holy shit Moment", that George told them, will happen at the end of Season 8. However, they wont tell anymore (as they did with Shereen and Hodor) which moment in specific that is. You have to guess. Or not. 

They did say that. And then proceeded to tell IHS that king Bran came directly from Martin. 

On 5/31/2019 at 8:15 PM, The Baelish Mockingbird said:

Is Shireen being burnt really one of the big "oh shit" moments? I mean, it was always coming. Maybe one of them is the reveal of Jon's lineage. I mean sure, everyone also saw that coming. However mostly just because of the countless years people have had to theorise on it.

It was for David and Dan. According to those silly Inside the Episode segments they were utterly shocked to learn that Shireen would be burned alive. Which is kind of funny, if you think about it, since people who have read the books have been debating for years and years who will do the deed, not whether it will happen. I guess after the show became a hit they stopped reading the forum here. :lol:

On 5/27/2019 at 4:50 PM, Selere said:

D&D said they had three big surprises when GRRM told them how the rest of the story played out.

The first was Shireen's burning.

The second was Hodor's origin.

What was the third, in the end?

George: And then the elephants of the GC ....

D1: elephants, kewl

D2: elephants, oh shit, that costs money, you fools

-----

The third "oh shit" moment

I am convinced the third moment was Daenerys snapping and destroying King's Landing. We all see how emotional and irrational people get about this scene.

scene 1: Hodor <confirmed>

scene 2: Shireen <confirmed>

scene 3: The Bells 

On 6/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, kissdbyfire said:

They did say that. And then proceeded to tell IHS that king Bran came directly from Martin. 

I still dont want to believe this....but if it's true I hope it make sense it the books

3 hours ago, oggy1324 said:

I still dont want to believe this....but if it's true I hope it make sense it the books

There are quite a few possibilities here. Like, Martin told them Bran will be king )but not of the “6 Kingdoms”),  and they just ran with “Bran will be king”, for instance. That would be a very typical thing for the show runners to do. Or there was some misunderstanding between IHS and D&D during this convo. It could even be total :bs: , because “creatively it made sense” to them. As a matter of fact, the bs option is the only one where they would be keeping their word about not spoiling anything, so it will be interesting to see what happens in the books. “Did David and Dan keep their word or not?”. 

At any rate, I am 100% sure that if Bran is to be king of Westeros in the books,  it will be widely different, and will even make sense. :D

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There are quite a few possibilities here. Like, Martin told them Bran will be king )but not of the “6 Kingdoms”),  and they just ran with “Bran will be king”, for instance

I just thought the same!

9 hours ago, oggy1324 said:

We always knew that Bran would be king. That’s because his wolf’s name told us exactly what he would become just as all the wolves’ names meant for that Stark child.

Remembering that Martin deliberately swapped out Lancaster and York from the War of the Roses for Lannister and Stark, all becomes clear.

Now is the winter of our discontent.
Made glorious summer by this sun of York.

If that wasn't a winter of discontent, then I don't what was. All I know is that we can thank this son of Stark for glorious summer.

5 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

We always knew that Bran would be king. That’s because his wolf’s name told us exactly what he would become just as all the wolves’ names meant for that Stark child.

I suppose by that logic, Arya was always a Rhoynar Founder of Dorne and Robb was actually visible wind? Your logic makes no sense. Stop putting lipstick on a pig.

6 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

We always knew that Bran would be king.

No, we didn't. Up till end of 6 not many people have ever thought of this.  In hindsight it make somehow sense.

6 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

That’s because his wolf’s name told us exactly what he would become

In hindsight the names of the wolves are quite telling. But that's all. And "exactly what" is pretty far-fetched. There were very many possibilites of how a character like Bran could be connected with a "dream of spring" or "summer". He might have sacrificed himself to quench the cold and night. Or whatever. That Bran would be king is not easy to see, not even in hindsight. Please keep humble and serious!

1 hour ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I suppose by that logic, Arya was always a Rhoynar Founder of Dorne and Robb was actually visible wind?

Well, I agree that over-interpretation of names just by hindsight knowledge is not justified.

On the other hand it is actually the case that the names of the direwolves reflect some character traits or the fate. A more straight-forward interpretation, however, is that these names simply reflect the desires and nature of the children at that moment they gave the wolves their names. The final outcome and choice of names somehow correlate to a certain degree for the surviving Stark children.

Sansa's direwolf Lady reflects her desire to become queen -- simple as that. In hindsight this coincides with her actually becoming queen.

Arya's direwolf Nymeria reflects the tomboyish, adventurous and fierce nature of Arya . In hindsight she has ended up as sort of warrior hero and went on to the next adventure.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

A more straight-forward interpretation, however, is that these names simply reflect the desires and nature of the children at that moment they gave the wolves their names

Which is precisely the interpretation I go with, tbh. Life's easier when there's a Watsonian justification.

Still, saying 'Summer' means 'Bran becomes King' is a stretch. Lipstick on a pig.

4 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Still, saying 'Summer' means 'Bran becomes King' is a stretch. Lipstick on a pig.

Absolutely, yes. That is nonsense. There were several possibilities that Bran could be connected with winning against the Nightking.

Archived