So what was the third "oh shit" moment?

Selere

2 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Absolutely, yes. That is nonsense. There were several possibilities that Bran could be connected with winning against the Nightking.

Frankly, it's a missed opportunity. Given the Night King is presumably a greenseer like Bran, the two could have done some sort of psychic 4D chess shit. Instead of the meh outcome of 'Bran is a hard taunt against the Night King'.

37 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Frankly, it's a missed opportunity. Given the Night King is presumably a greenseer like Bran, the two could have done some sort of psychic 4D chess shit. Instead of the meh outcome of 'Bran is a hard taunt against the Night King'.

Unfortunately, considering the apparent 'ech' the show developed about the supernatural when it wasn't 'dragons! Fire! RAH!' or a so so remake of WWZ? 

It would've been necessary for the dynamic duo to have a clue what a greenseer is and how the whole shebang could be, if not outright sensible, at least visually appealing. Dupond and Dupont would probably have them making calf eyes at eachother.

Wait! That's the genius of it! (Sarcasm might be the lowest form wit, but only in the 'before GoT' era)

The first two "holy shit" moments both concerned horrific character deaths - Shireen being burned alive, Hodor being told to "hold the door," leading to both his death and some time-travel mumbo jumbo - so I'm willing to bet that the third moment was Dany's death. D&D clearly see Jon as the noble hero of the series, so I'm sure they were upset to learn that he was going to murder his aunt-lover. (I also suspect that Dany was supposed to be pregnant this season, as well, given all the foreshadowing from last season).

On 6/10/2019 at 12:56 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

The first two "holy shit" moments both concerned horrific character deaths - Shireen being burned alive, Hodor being told to "hold the door," leading to both his death and some time-travel mumbo jumbo - so I'm willing to bet that the third moment was Dany's death. D&D clearly see Jon as the noble hero of the series, so I'm sure they were upset to learn that he was going to murder his aunt-lover. (I also suspect that Dany was supposed to be pregnant this season, as well, given all the foreshadowing from last season). 

That's the thing.

I'm not sure Jon actually IS the noble hero of the series.

What does he do?

Technically, the noble hero of the series is probably going to be Bran or Jaime and neither one of them can be considered noble anymore.

11 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Technically, the noble hero of the series is probably going to be Bran or Jaime and neither one of them can be considered noble anymore.

Why not? Being imperfect and flawed and being noble are not mutually exclusive. Or else being “noble” would never even be a human trait. 

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Why not? Being imperfect and flawed and being noble are not mutually exclusive. Or else being “noble” would never even be a human trait. 

Yeah, my bad. You're right.

On 6/6/2019 at 2:08 PM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Frankly, it's a missed opportunity. Given the Night King is presumably a greenseer skinchanger like Bran, the two could have done some sort of psychic 4D chess shit. Instead of the meh outcome of 'Bran is a hard taunt against the Night King'.

Fixed.

But yeah, I'm totally in agreement with this.

There's so much wrong with this show in the end...

39 minutes ago, Winds of Winter blow cold said:

I was under the impression that what happened to Shireen was just something GRRM CONSIDERED doing, not something that he is committed to. 

After all, Shireen, Selyse, and Melisandre, are all back at the Wall in the books.

David and Dan said “when Martin told us this”. My understanding is, “this” means Shireen burning, but not necessarily by Stannis’s decision, which is what they implied. 

The catch is, since then Martin had that idea for a twist that he said the show wouldn’t be able to do b/c the character in question is dead on the show (and obviously alive in the books). A while after saying he had had the idea, Martin said he decided to go for this twist, and Shireen is one possibility. As are Stannis, ser Barry, Mance, and a bunch more. :D

If you consider how Bran named Summer and his entire story line, it makes sense that he becomes king.

He was in a coma (long night) and when he wakes up he names the dog "Summer." We experience a long night, then have a dream of spring, and he ushers in the "long summer."

Also, chaos is a ladder, and Bran is the best climber :P

12 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Fixed.

Nah, I meant greenseer. As in, just like how Bran could chillax and fuck with the past, the Night King could also psychically mark people in the past. At the very least, even if that doesn't make the Night King a greenseer, it does make him someone with comparable past-altering 4d chess BS.

On 6/12/2019 at 2:33 AM, Beardy the Wildling said:

Nah, I meant greenseer. As in, just like how Bran could chillax and fuck with the past, the Night King could also psychically mark people in the past. At the very least, even if that doesn't make the Night King a greenseer, it does make him someone with comparable past-altering 4d chess BS.

Nevertheless, greenseers wouldn't have the power to animate and control human bodies. That would be skinchanger territory.

34 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Nevertheless, greenseers wouldn't have the power to animate and control human bodies. That would be skinchanger territory.

I never implied that? I'm saying that the Night King is a greenseer on top of being a necromancer. They're not mutually exclusive skills, you realise. Heck, Bran demonstrates this by being both a skinchanger and a greenseer (as opposed to Varamyr Sixskins, only a skinchanger, and Jojen Reed, only a greenseer). Being able to psychically mark someone in the past via visions is a very greenseer thing to do.

3 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I never implied that? I'm saying that the Night King is a greenseer on top of being a necromancer. They're not mutually exclusive skills, you realise. Heck, Bran demonstrates this by being both a skinchanger and a greenseer (as opposed to Varamyr Sixskins, only a skinchanger, and Jojen Reed, only a greenseer). Being able to psychically mark someone in the past via visions is a very greenseer thing to do.

I was going to go back and forth with you on this but then I realize that this discussion is almost completely irrelevant and pointless.

Thank you season 8!

2 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

True, it is all cocks in the end.

I mean, it'd be different if the Night King as we know it wasn't a show-only creation...

There probably is something vaguely similar to the TV show Night King that Bran will have to face off against but it's definitely not going to end like it did onscreen

8 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I mean, it'd be different if the Night King as we know it wasn't a show-only creation...

There probably is something vaguely similar to the TV show Night King that Bran will have to face off against but it's definitely not going to end like it did onscreen

Agreed. I actually despise the name 'Night King'. First off, implying a link between this one-dimensional Darth Maul ripoff and the depraved Night's King who turned the Nightfort into a palace of madness is laughable, secondly, it's like D&D don't understand language.

'The Night's King' is much more wieldable as a phrase because... well, it's a clear possessive, the King of Night, an embodiment of the darkness the Night's Watch ought to be, well, watching for.

'The Night King' however feels relatively clumsy, less legendary in tone and a lot more... juvenile in style. A single letter makes a fuck ton of difference sometimes.

11 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Agreed. I actually despise the name 'Night King'. First off, implying a link between this one-dimensional Darth Maul ripoff and the depraved Night's King who turned the Nightfort into a palace of madness is laughable, secondly, it's like D&D don't understand language.

'The Night's King' is much more wieldable as a phrase because... well, it's a clear possessive, the King of Night, an embodiment of the darkness the Night's Watch ought to be, well, watching for.

'The Night King' however feels relatively clumsy, less legendary in tone and a lot more... clumsy in style. A single letter makes a fuck ton of difference sometimes.

Don't forget the apostrophe.

LOL but yeah I love how you made this point.

I am of the school of thought that predicts that Euron Greyjoy will play a key role in the fall of the Wall at the very end of The Winds of Winter or the very, very beginning (i.e. prologue) of A Dream of Spring.

I also believe that he will first link up with and then marry Cersei Lannister. The two will tag-team Aegon while Daenerys, Jon and Tyrion are far away, busy dealing with the Others. And then they will turn King's Landing into a hellzone and make the Red Keep live up to its name. Thanks to Aeron's drug-induced vision, I believe Euron will be sitting the Iron Throne as the King of Westeros with Cersei as his Queen. Not that Cersei will last too long after that but...still. Girl, you came around full circle.

Annnnnnnnd I also believe that Euron is a powerful skinchanger and was Bloodraven's first choice as the next Three-Eyed Raven. But knowing Euron and having the faintest idea of Bloodraven, something went horribly wrong and Bloodraven swerved on Euron before homing in on Bran. Which means that Bran will likely either develop some type of beef with Euron or be one of Euron's principal targets.

If you put all of that in a glass and mix it up, you have your new Night's King.

Archived