Jump to content
Selere

So what was the third "oh shit" moment?

Recommended Posts

D&D said they had three big surprises when GRRM told them how the rest of the story played out.

The first was Shireen's burning.

The second was Hodor's origin.

What was the third, in the end?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's one, it's obviously a failure; I suppose it's Jon stabbing Daenerys?

I tend to think the 3rd WTF moment is actually in an alt ending, in this case we will never know…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either Jon killing Dany or Dany's heel turn in general (perhaps specifically her burning KL).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

If there's one, it's obviously a failure; I suppose it's Jon stabbing Daenerys?

I tend to think the 3rd WTF moment is actually in an alt ending, in this case we will never know…

Eh...no, they have said, that they will include this moment at the end of the series. We will, however, never know what it was for sure, since they have also said this season, they won't tell what is from GRRM and what is not. But the moment is definitively included. But if one uses his brain, it is pretty clear that it is either Danny going nuts or Jon killing Danny. Or both, if they view that as one storyline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, T and A said:

But if one uses his brain, it is pretty clear that it is either Danny going nuts or Jon killing Danny. Or both, if they view that as one storyline.

Then they have transformed a "WTF?" moment into a "Oh no this is too stupid…" moment.  An other achievement…

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we know that 'the Children made the Others' wasn't also such a moment? In my opinion that really qualifies as one such, too, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lord Varys said:

Do we know that 'the Children made the Others' wasn't also such a moment? In my opinion that really qualifies as one such, too, no?

That preceded (albeit rather immediately) "hold the door" within the show, so I think it's fair to say it's very unlikely to be the third as I believe they referred to hold the door as the second in their stupid postgame things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DMC said:

That preceded (albeit rather immediately) "hold the door" within the show, so I think it's fair to say it's very unlikely to be the third as I believe they referred to hold the door as the second in their stupid postgame things.

Could be. But keep in mind that there should be actually be a number of such moments George told them about which never actually made it into the show. There should be some such moments for Bran, Arya, and especially, Tyrion. But they didn't really deliver in this regard in the show, did they? In that sense, I'd not be surprised that they created their own WTF moments instead of adapting all they got from George (undead flying dragons, cool dragon-destroying scorpions, etc.).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Could be. But keep in mind that there should be actually be a number of such moments George told them about which never actually made it into the show. There should be some such moments for Bran, Arya, and especially, Tyrion. But they didn't really deliver in this regard in the show, did they?

Well, sure.  But in their minds they identified three specific moments that they thought were specifically shocking.  I don't see why they'd lie about that.  And since we know the first two, we can figure the third is a big *record scratch* moment, because that's what they find shocking.  They spectacularly failed with Stannis burning with Shireen.  Hold the door was actual pretty capably done from a TV perspective.  Which is why I think Jon killing Dany is the third.  If you argued such a thing would be in the finale a month ago on here, a lot of people would be like WTF (perhaps even myself, certainly myself if I was drunk enough)?  So in that way I think it's the best candidate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, sure.  But in their minds they identified three specific moments that they thought were specifically shocking.  I don't see why they'd lie about that.  And since we know the first two, we can figure the third is a big *record scratch* moment, because that's what they find shocking.  They spectacularly failed with Stannis burning with Shireen.  Hold the door was actual pretty capably done from a TV perspective.  Which is why I think Jon killing Dany is the third.  If you argued such a thing would be in the finale a month ago on here, a lot of people would be like WTF (perhaps even myself, certainly myself if I was drunk enough)?  So in that way I think it's the best candidate.

Yeah, but it is based on the idea that they adapted George's WTF moments rather than coming up with their own, possibly things that fit better with THEIR VERSION OF THE STORY - which is the story they ended telling, not George's.

To be clear - the Jon-Dany thing and/or the burning of KL definitely counts as a WTF moment. I'm just not sure how we can be sure that this is something George came up with or something they came up with.

After all, undead dragons, Lich Kings, dragon-killing scorpions, etc. all were things they came up with, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

To be clear - the Jon-Dany thing and/or the burning of KL definitely counts as a WTF moment. I'm just not sure how we can be sure that this is something George came up with or something they came up with.

Be sure?  Certainly not.  Identify them as a strong possibility, or even probability.  I think that's fair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was Bran as a King, with the "Why do you think I came all this way". Poorly done and rushed, but the implications could be a WTF moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the implications would just mean he's a lousy coldhearted bastard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the #3 moment was the King's Landing BBQ (or in geenral Dany's coin finally falling and showing which side is up). I think in the books it will also be KL, but maybe not with Cersei, but with fAegon.

To be honest... There is a lot of complaints about the last seasons being too rushed, but if GRRM sticks to just two final books, they would have to be rushed far more to fit these 3 "big" moments as well as the whole Others arc and so on...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, but it is based on the idea that they adapted George's WTF moments rather than coming up with their own, possibly things that fit better with THEIR VERSION OF THE STORY - which is the story they ended telling, not George's.

To be clear - the Jon-Dany thing and/or the burning of KL definitely counts as a WTF moment. I'm just not sure how we can be sure that this is something George came up with or something they came up with.

After all, undead dragons, Lich Kings, dragon-killing scorpions, etc. all were things they came up with, no?

We don't know it and we won't know it (except a miracle happens and George actually manages to finish those books). They have said, after Season 7, that they won't tell, what is from George and what is not. They have, however said, that the third "Holy shit Moment", that George told them, will happen at the end of Season 8. However, they wont tell anymore (as they did with Shereen and Hodor) which moment in specific that is. You have to guess. Or not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They specifically stated the final "WTF!" moment was at the very end, I believe.

So, my best guess is it'll be Daenerys burns King's Landing, which is the most likely answer IMO though I'd be surprised if the burning of KL happens "at the very end" and not as a consequence of Dany's war with Y!Griff in the books (which I think would come before the end); the destruction of the Red Keep and/or Iron Throne, which isn't really a WTF to me but might have been to D&D and is a carry on from the burning of KL; Jon kills Daenerys, which I didn't think was a WTF moment in context of the show but might be in the books; or Bran becomes king, which, again, was unexpected but didn't really feel like a true WTF moment.

My money is ultimately on KL's destruction but D&D essentially said they aren't going to reveal what parts came from GRRM and which parts are theirs, so, we won't know until GRRM tells us now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to put ourselves in D&D's shoes. Is Jon killing Dany that much of a big wtf moment? What if it was the Bran storyline? Or Bronn's or even Varys going traitor.

I can just imagine them with a poker face to the "And Jon kills Dany after she burns KL" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Targaryen Peas said:

We need to put ourselves in D&D's shoes. Is Jon killing Dany that much of a big wtf moment? What if it was the Bran storyline? Or Bronn's or even Varys going traitor.

I can just imagine them with a poker face to the "And Jon kills Dany after she burns KL" 

Agreed. I would be surprised if the thought of Dany burning a city or Jon killing Dany (or vice versa) hadn't crossed their mind. 

If King Bran the Broken is from Martin, I think that must be it. Arya killing NK is another possibility, but I believe that's DnD's invention. The death of Cerseis is also a good possibility, that wasn't something many managed to guess, and I think Martin can pull that of to really fullfil the prophecy in an unexpecting way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×