Why does Brynden Tully/Blackfish agree to surrender Riverrun?

kss

When the Blackfish and Jaime talk, Blackfish seems pretty determined to not yield and fight to the last man if need be. I don't really understand how does Edmure going back to Riverrun change anything about it; if anything, they have gotten back their most important hostage.

Blackfish also doesn't trust Jaime and his promises, so I don't really see how Edmure could have swayed them with that. And Jaime offers Edmure the same terms, more or less.

And Edmure is the rightful heir of Hoster Tully and Lord of Riverrun, but it seems that the garrison in the castle is more loyal to Blackfish than to Edmure.

So I guess my question is, how does Edmure convince Blackfish to surrender the castle and flee as this doesn't seem much like the Blackfish?

19 hours ago, kss said:

When the Blackfish and Jaime talk, Blackfish seems pretty determined to not yield and fight to the last man if need be. I don't really understand how does Edmure going back to Riverrun change anything about it; if anything, they have gotten back their most important hostage.

Blackfish also doesn't trust Jaime and his promises, so I don't really see how Edmure could have swayed them with that. And Jaime offers Edmure the same terms, more or less.

And Edmure is the rightful heir of Hoster Tully and Lord of Riverrun, but it seems that the garrison in the castle is more loyal to Blackfish than to Edmure.

So I guess my question is, how does Edmure convince Blackfish to surrender the castle and flee as this doesn't seem much like the Blackfish?

I think there's a secret plan afoot.

On 5/28/2019 at 5:55 PM, kss said:

As you said, Edmure is the rightful lord. He was also the previous commander of the Tully army -- at the Golden Tooth, the battle, the Battle of the Fords, the Stone Mill -- so these remnants of that army would still be loyal to Ed. So while the terms are largely the same, Jaime's leverage over Edmure is greater because he still holds his wife and unborn child.

So I don't think it was a case of having to convince Brynden of anything. As soon as Edmure set foot inside the castle, he was the new man in charge. He simply gave the order and turned a blind eye to whomever wanted to flee the castle.

Archived