Conleth Hill table read reaction to Varys death (Last Watch video clip)

The Dragon Demands

Ouch, I've never  thought of Hill's viewpoint on the series before. It would really suck to get the role for one of the most important villains in the books only to get shafted halfway through with your character's most important moment being giving Tyrion a lift.

8 hours ago, Aurane said:

Ouch, I've never  thought of Hill's viewpoint on the series before. It would really suck to get the role for one of the most important villains in the books only to get shafted halfway through with your character's most important moment being giving Tyrion a lift.

Villain? Varys is a villain? News to me!

Always seemed like he was subtly the opposite of villain to me, someone who overcame adversity to rise high, what with his background story of being castrated and so horribly as a young boy, plus all that followed. 

Those are exactly the people Martin picks for elevation in his tale, not for making villains out of. Remember cripples, bastards, and broken things?

2 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Always seemed like he was subtly the opposite of villain to me, someone who overcame adversity to rise high, what with his background story of being castrated and so horribly as a young boy, plus all that followed. 

Those are exactly the people Martin picks for elevation in his tale, not for making villains out of. Remember cripples, bastards, and broken things?

Nevertheless, Ned damned Varys. Not a one he damns in his cell will survive the series. And Varys is a villain for being a warmongerer when it suits him to get his own Targ candidate on the throne and support and prop liars in order to have reviled antagonists for his "chosen one" in the earlier seasons.

23 hours ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

People are way too forgiving of Varys.  He rips out children's tongue's so they can better serve as his spies. That's not morally grey, that is some dark shit.

28 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

What the textual evidence for that?

Seriously?

Varys: I must have gold, and another fifty birds.
Illyrio: So many? The ones you need are hard to find... so young, to know their letters... perhaps older... not die so easy...
Varys: No. The younger are safer... treat them gently...
Illyrio: ...if they kept their tongues...
Varys: ...the risk...

Archived