Good news? Bad news?

On 9/3/2019 at 2:53 AM, Kyll.Ing. said:

I know what you're saying and get what you mean, but I find it amusing that this sentence basically says "I won't buy any more books from this author until he writes another book".

Wait, seriously?

Martin has published a TON of stuff since Dance. Just not a main sequence ASOIAF novel. Wild Cards. ASOIAF guidebooks, coloring books, graphic novels. Dangerous Women short stories. And more. Plus stuff like Nighflyers on TV. And pitching HBO on other series.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/george-r-r-martin/

On 6/28/2019 at 6:19 PM, desire said:

How can he have such a huge fan base that is die hard loyal. The books are wonderful don't get me wrong but gees he really doesn't seem to care for the poor old fans

I've been away for a while (been busy at work and other stuff). But I would like to challenge this statement.

I think GRRM doesn't care about the 'poor old fans' who keep bothering him with the same question over and over again. His statement is: It is done when it is done.

He does care about a lot of other fans, who, like GRRM himself, want to see a book where the plotlines and conspiracies are hidden beneath the surface. Where the storylines are interesting and where people grow in character.
If he wanted to finish the book as fast as possible for the 'poor old fans who have been waiting so long' he would've used the TV Series storylines and be done with it.

I personally prefer a story that is complete, interesting and not so predictable. Where hints about what is going to happen are given, but you do get surprised when it actually does happen. Where you need to read chapters twice (or more), just to make sure that you didn't miss a thing.
I am a patient man, I will wait for the book to appear, and comfort myself the books that have been published in ASOIAF with some of the other ICE&FIRE-world books he has published in between.

On 9/14/2019 at 3:18 PM, zorkman said:

I expect this book will finally be released at some point, but the chances of getting the next one I would rate at less than 10% and falling. Just accept this. We have had five fantastic books & remember that, if the worst comes to the worst.

My subjective view is that we've had two fantastic books (AGOT & ASOS), one very good book (ACOK), one just about average book (AFFC) and a poor one (ADWD).

I'd love to read the endings he had planned for us, but ultimately I'm not that bothered.  It's been 18 years since he released a quality ASOIAF book and the last two were well below par.  Even if TWOW does come out, from the sample chapters alone, I am confident that it won't be anywhere near the quality of the first three books.  I just wish he'd put us out of our misery one way or another by releasing the damn book or publicly admitting defeat.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:18 AM, zorkman said:

I expect this book will finally be released at some point, but the chances of getting the next one I would rate at less than 10% and falling. Just accept this. We have had five fantastic books & remember that, if the worst comes to the worst.

If he can't finish the series, then feast and dance will go down as well written but ultimately pointless world building novellas split up in wierd and unsatisfying ways.  All those stories will be lost, like tears in the rain.   And Jon Snow will know nothing forever.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:04 PM, argonak said:

If he can't finish the series, then feast and dance will go down as well written but ultimately pointless world building novellas split up in wierd and unsatisfying ways.  All those stories will be lost, like tears in the rain.   And Jon Snow will know nothing forever.

You got it with "world building".

I think he's got so absorbed with the world he's created that he no longer cares about the story he began with.  He just wants to expand on the world building, with more about the history and geography of Planetos.  He's completely lost interest in ASOIAF, and he probably feels it's no longer his story now.

Archived