NBA Finals 2019: Can the Raptors Claw Out a Win?

Maithanet

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Plus plus, Boogie was already having a horrific final two minutes. Do we need to make it even worse?

Also, the goaltending call on his dunk was kind of BS, so they balance out.

To me the single most questionable call of the game was the moving pick violation on Boogie. I've never seen that called with under a minute to go. 

ETA: NM, Maith all over it. 

To me it wasn't questionable as to whether it was a foul.  It was.  He was moving and he threw his shoulder into VV - clearly an illegal screen. 

The issue is just that illegal screens are almost always a no-call in the Final minute.  That turnover in that situation was super impactful on the game, which is something that the refs try and avoid.  Although at some point, you take that too far and the final minute just turns to anarchy.  I've definitely seen games like that.  Young Lebron would often drive to the lane in crunch time and get clearly fouled by three different guys and get no call.  Older Lebron learned not to do that.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

To me it wasn't questionable as to whether it was a foul.  It was.  He was moving and he threw his shoulder into VV - clearly an illegal screen. 

The issue is just that illegal screens are almost always a no-call in the Final minute.  That turnover in that situation was super impactful on the game, which is something that the refs try and avoid.  Although at some point, you take that too far and the final minute just turns to anarchy.  I've definitely seen games like that.  Young Lebron would often drive to the lane in crunch time and get clearly fouled by three different guys and get no call.  Older Lebron learned not to do that.

It's like holding in the NFL. You could call it on virtually every play...generally you let them play unless you either want to set the tone early or it's egregious. No-one wants to see a close game decided on a call like that so refs generally know to let them play. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

It probably just came down to a combination of home court and size differential. I don’t think they call that on a smaller player, but IIRC, Cousins is the second heaviest guy in the league.

Random question. Is there a difference between a torn Achilles and a ruptured Achilles? 

Also, just to show how large KD’s loss is, the gold standard is 50/40/90. KD for his career in Finals (including his OKC Finals) is 55/45/91. That’s a staggering loss of talent.

@Jace, Basilissa

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Random question. Is there a difference between a torn Achilles and a ruptured Achilles? 

Also, just to show how large KD’s loss is, the gold standard is 50/40/90. KD for his career in Finals (including his OKC Finals) is 55/45/91. That’s a staggering loss of talent.

@Jace, Basilissa

Not to my knowledge. Rupture just denotes an injury to the area in question with clearly defined separation of tissue. 

So if you got stabbed in the heart, it could be called a 'Rupture' if sports journalists thought that 'stab' has appeared in too many headlines recently.

53 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Not to my knowledge. Rupture just denotes an injury to the area in question with clearly defined separation of tissue. 

So if you got stabbed in the heart, it could be called a 'Rupture' if sports journalists thought that 'stab' has appeared in too many headlines recently.

Thanks. Funny you should use that metaphor. I was gonna say, when I think “rupture,” I think O’ren’s father catching that katana in Vol. 1.

Awesome first half. Really well played and competitive throughout.

Raptors playing exactly the "swarm 3 guys around Curry/Klay at all times" D I thought they should and GS is still scoring a ton because Klay is a clutch beast and it's opening up room for guys like Iggy/Looney to contribute. I've lost count of how many games I'm sure Looney won't play and then he shows up all the same. 

Did not expect Lowry to be this unstoppable. 21/6/6 in the first half? Unreal. Woulda thought the Raptors would be cruising if you told me they drained 9 threes in a half. 

14 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Awesome first half. Really well played and competitive throughout.

Raptors playing exactly the "swarm 3 guys around Curry/Klay at all times" D I thought they should and GS is still scoring a ton because Klay is a clutch beast and it's opening up room for guys like Iggy/Looney to contribute. I've lost count of how many games I'm sure Looney won't play and then he shows up all the same. 

Did not expect Lowry to be this unstoppable. 21/6/6 in the first half? Unreal. Woulda thought the Raptors would be cruising if you told me they drained 9 threes in a half. 

Was gonna say the same.  Really fun game to watch so far.

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I guess I understand why you have to shoot the free throw...  but I hate that Klay had to come back in for that.

I think it's a fair rule but brutal in a circumstance like that. 

Archived