Space Launches, Landings, and Destinations - SpaceX Thread #3

SpaceChampion

34 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Was it me or did it look like a piece of the engine (not the engine bell) caught fire right before the landing?

It looks like some of the fuel was combusting where it wasn't supposed to be. It didn't appear to impeded the landing, but I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen.

Starlink launch

Apparently there are over 700,000 requests to join the beta test of Starlink internet service.  SpaceX has asked FCC to quintuple the amount of ground terminals they can use to 5 million.

I signed up for the beta test but I don't know if I'd actually use it.  Depends on pricing.  I'm happy with my ISP so no impetus other than the cool factor to try it.

11th Starlink mission.
14th mission of 2020.
90th Falcon 9 launch (I think 93rd if you include Falcon Heavy)
100th launch overall.
6th use of this specific first stage booster.
~600 Starlink sats in orbit so far.

Also, in engine development news:

On 8/19/2020 at 5:58 PM, Free Northman Reborn said:

And Elon is now worth $90B - having overtaken Warren Buffet and a bunch of other top ten billionaires in the last few days. Musk is now ranked number 4 in the world, and next target is Mark Zuckerberg at $99B, currently in third place.

Mars funding is looking secured.

Well, it’s a day later and my $90B valuation of Musk’s net worth is outdated. It has now increased to $95B, according to Bloomberg.

The main reason I’m personally accumulating assets is to fund this (Mars colonization)."

Elon Musk, 2018.

Mars getting closer every day. (Just need to keep the Bernster out of power, else he will happily tax it all.)

SAOCOM 1B mission -- with on-shore landing at KSC.  First polar launch by SpaceX from the East coast.

Watching the booster passing through the clouds and seeing the grid fins trail cloud vapour was quite cool.

Here's the landing:

Archived