Archer 1999 - Sun's Out, Guns Out...

Jaxom 1974

1 minute ago, Werthead said:

I meant more they should think about new villains or creating a new situation so it's not just the same old again.

Ah.  Totally agreed.  And Slater was pretty awesome, wouldn't mind him coming back.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

It sounds like a return to espionage but I'm assuming Mallory's not running a new spy agency (the implication was that she'd been caring full-time for Archer during his coma), so maybe Lana (and maybe Ray) has been recruited by another agency and the rest of the gang are working in other, relatively normal jobs.

Yeah, the clear implication was that Mallory hasn't been doing anything.  I wonder about Lana taking it up again.  Thought it made sense that she wanted out after she had AJ.  Hope they stay consistent with that.  Ray though, yeah...ya know what'd be funny - if he becomes the new cyborg nemesis to Archer.  Whatever Pam's gotten into is pure tabula rasa.  I'm just frightened at the possibilities of what Krieger's been doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Season 11 trailer. Airs September 16 on FXX. Looks like they're fully back to their old spy ways (even the old office is back).

One question I do have is whether they address what happened to Veronica Deane, who's the person who actually shot and nearly murdered Archer, or if that's a plot thread they're leaving to address later on.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

One question I do have is whether they address what happened to Veronica Deane

I liked the trailer, pumped they announced a start date thanks.  And yeah, hope they resolve what happened to Deane fairly immediately.  Wouldn't be surprised if it's just a throwaway line or two though.

I'm getting major reboot energy from the trailer, which makes sense (a new creative team, Adam Reed only writing one episode). The big question is whether the show is going to keep going until they drive it into the sun or if this will be the last season.

An interesting bit is that when Archer talks about his dream adventures, he goes through a ton more versions than just the three we saw. That makes me wonder if they've got in their back pocket that they can do dream flashback episodes or even whole seasons later on to keep things fresh.

Also just me, or was there a hint of time moving forwards more decisively than we've seen in the real world in the past, with Archer being completely unprepared for traffic levels in NYC?

I'm wondering if it will maybe feel like the non dan harmon seasons of community, ok but something was missing. 

They have been very clever returning to the format most people wanted eg the "real world" with a different team leading the show. Giving us something familiar while changing things up. A solid "old" season of archer would probably be quite welcome after 3? Seasons of dreams.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm wondering if it will maybe feel like the non dan harmon seasons of community, ok but something was missing. 

They have been very clever returning to the format most people wanted eg the "real world" with a different team leading the show. Giving us something familiar while changing things up. A solid "old" season of archer would probably be quite welcome after 3? Seasons of dreams.

Adam Reed is still involved as a producer and he's writing one episode and checking the scripts over. He's also still voicing Ray Gillette, so he's still around. It's not a total divorce, and it's 100% his choice to step back and be less involved.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

Adam Reed is still involved as a producer and he's writing one episode and checking the scripts over.

He's not the showrunner anymore though, right?  That's an important distinction.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Really enjoying the return to form. I read an article about Venture Bros. the other day that mentioned it was the final season of Archer and I was disappointed. Thankfully they were mistaken and it is renewed for season 12. 

On 8/8/2020 at 3:14 PM, DMC said:

He's not the showrunner anymore though, right?  That's an important distinction.

Yeah. Also prior to season ten he had written or co-written every single episode of the show. So going down to one per season is a big change.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
21 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I'm amazed this series is still going on. I read things here about a return to form, but can that be? I think I bowed out after Vice.

I pretty much hated the genre jumping coma seasons (the space one was alright) but it really has improved a lot since Reed stepped back writing wise. 

14 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Netflix just dropped Season 11 in the UK without a word of publicity. Sigh.

Netflix doesn't own it and it honestly doesn't matter to them whether people rush to watch it day 1 or over time.

• 10 months later...

Archived