Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi I have a question regarding to the Faceless Men Company

I have finished 5 books recently but still cannot figure out based on which condition do they accept to kill a person. So far I know that they don't kill for gold nor personal hatred. What I understand is they kill according to the prayers, if so then they accept every name from every prayer? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oggy1324 said:

Hi I have a question regarding to the Faceless Men Company

I have finished 5 books recently but still cannot figure out based on which condition do they accept to kill a person. So far I know that they don't kill for gold nor personal hatred. What I understand is they kill according to the prayers, if so then they accept every name from every prayer? 

 

In A Game of Thrones during the small council meeting about assassinating Daenerys Grand Maester Pycell suggests hiring the faceless men to do it. Littlefinger then says it would cost twice the price of hiring an army. So they do kill for gold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reasoning given by the KoM about the murder of the insurance salesman would suggest that they accept commissions from people who are destitute, as do the stories about their origins and the Waif's origin.

Anything told by them is suspicious, however I think it is fair to assume that while they extoll a high price it is not necessarily gold. They are probably getting also paid in servitude, favors and influence, which would explain the servants and the connections like Brusco and Izembaro they have at their disposal, or how an organization of assassins operates openly in Braavos. It would also explains where little FM come from, because I doubt that they get many walk-ins like Arya. 

But no, we don't know for sure unless we witness the process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2019 at 2:38 PM, oggy1324 said:

Hi I have a question regarding to the Faceless Men Company

I have finished 5 books recently but still cannot figure out based on which condition do they accept to kill a person. So far I know that they don't kill for gold nor personal hatred. What I understand is they kill according to the prayers, if so then they accept every name from every prayer? 

 

Nobody else knows how they determine who they kill and what the price will be.  This is, I expect, deliberate, both on their part and George's.  No having a set price schedule give them a great deal of flexibility, and George has the ability to keep his options open on the subject.

It seems likely that acceptance of a prayer has something to do with the price offered, which is most likely gold. in most cases.

On 6/1/2019 at 1:12 AM, The Sleeper said:

The reasoning given by the KoM about the murder of the insurance salesman would suggest that they accept commissions from people who are destitute, as do the stories about their origins and the Waif's origin.

In actuality, we do not know why the Insurance Man was targeted.  While it is implied that he has cheated customers, I refuse to take anything they say at more than its literal meaning, especially considering how much they prize the ability to lie.  So, I believe that he is an insurance broker, and that such brokers are sometimes unable to make good   However, it is entirely possible that he has impatient heirs, unhappy competitors, or somebody else with money who wants him dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another big question mark is what are they doing at the Citadel having replaced Pate. I find it difficult to believe that they killed Pate in order to kill someone else, but rather I think they want the same thing as Euron wants, whatever that is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nevets said:

In actuality, we do not know why the Insurance Man was targeted.  While it is implied that he has cheated customers, I refuse to take anything they say at more than its literal meaning, especially considering how much they prize the ability to lie.  So, I believe that he is an insurance broker, and that such brokers are sometimes unable to make good   However, it is entirely possible that he has impatient heirs, unhappy competitors, or somebody else with money who wants him dead.

Hence, the word "suggest" and the caveat about anything they say being suspicious. 

I do think that is consistent with we have been shown that they receive service in one form or another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect they accept any name from someone who's willing to pay, and the price is always "more than you can afford".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×