Deadwood: The Movie Spoilers

Trebla

That was a...surprisingly sweet sendoff! The cynic in me expected another downer ending but that was much better than I could have hoped. Of course Hearst would never get what he truly deserved but getting beaten by the mob in the street was quite cathartic for me as a viewer. I thought there might be another escalation after but since ended the way it did, I expect that he will finally run away with his tail between his legs with no more "bully" bravado as he did in the series finale. In real life, he would die a few years later. 

Al's ending was very fitting, one last curse while holding the hand of the person he loved most. I loved that he left The Gem to her. Paula Malcomson's Trixie was the star (no pun intended) of the movie. I hope she gets an Emmy nod.

It was good to see a lot of the minor characters: Jewel, Aunt Lou, Mr. Wu, Con Stapleton. EB's role was smaller than usual but his snooping finally did some good. I recognized Garrett Dillahunt as the drunk who yells at Hearst as Bullock leads him away from the mob.  I was really surprised Jeffery Jones (AW Merrick) came out considering his legal issues. 

All in all I'm glad the show finally got an ending. :)

7 hours ago, Trebla said:

Al's ending was very fitting, one last curse while holding the hand of the person he loved most. I loved that he left The Gem to her. Paula Malcomson's Trixie was the star (no pun intended) of the movie. I hope she gets an Emmy nod.

I couldn’t agree more. As I was watching I was wondering why I haven’t seen her in more stuff(although a quick search shows me she was a regular on Ray Donovan). 

I knew it would be a hard movie to pull off but I was generally happy with it. Al’s sendoff was very well done, and glad we got some type of “closure”.  It did make me real sad every time they showed a flashback... and poor Charlie Utter. 

I kinda figured they didn’t ask Jeffrey Jones back too, until he showed up late. 

Jefferey Jones’ troubles started before the series even started, I remember being surprised that he was on the show to begin with, though I suppose you would think it would be even harder to bring him back today.

I thought it was pretty good. It makes me sad that we never got more seasons or the original three movies they had planned back when it was canceled. It was nice farewell though.

I thought the ending was rushed, Hearst’s final gambit was ridiculous, he just called in some upstanding sheriffs from out of town who were easily cowed by jurisdictional regulations? You would expect something a little better planned.

It was excellent. The actors and script instantly distilled what made all the characters great in the first place. How was this only 1hr45 long? Probably because they largely allowed the actors to tell the story. The looks between bullock and garret told do much. Same with bullock and his kids. It made me realised how good olyphant actually is - he's not just uptight/seething anger (although that's his forte).

Loved the Farnum scenes and i was choked up a few times. First by Charlie's murder but also when the Gimp was rubbing Al's feet. The relationship between her and Al was great as it seemed like Al bullied her but there was a lot of love and respect between the two, to the point the cruelty was actually banter.

Speaking of Al it was bitter sweet to see him on his way out but at least it wasn't as bad as real life swearangen's end (but faithful in yhe sense that alcoholism did him in). I was half expecting him to go the martyr route and kill hearst but i prefer the much more grounded version.

The showdown between Bullock and Hearst with Charlie's murderer hanging from bullock's hand was intense. Always loved how Bullock could only be pushed so far, while Al was left tidying up the mess caused by his outbursts.

It's still a damn shame we didn't get a 4th season way back when but I'm impressed this movie lived up to expectations given the long gestation period. Great to see Milch give everyone in TV a reminder of how good the medium can be.

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

A great send off. Of course, there was no time for every character, but still we got to see most of them. And, yes, this was Trixie's show.

She was definitely the catalyst of the story although i really couldn't separate a given character out as being the highlight. 

It was good they highlighted how another woman died/was murdered to save trixie (I'd forgotten) and it was clear it weighed heavily upon her. 

Pretty much all the cast deserve to be in better shows/films than they currently are but i guess the only way is down after deadwood. What i saw of "ray donavan" and "caprica" really felt like Paula malcomson was being underused. Hopefully the film will work as a reminder to casting agents. 

Now I’m going to have to go back and look for dillahunt in the crowd. 

I enjoyed the closure of it and of course I wish there were more. Some parts seemed hasty but it was nice to get that last 30 min. 

Farnum using the phone was probably my favorite part. 

3 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

I enjoyed the closure of it and of course I wish there were more. Some parts seemed hasty but it was nice to get that last 30 min. 

He's not that hard to find.

Overall it was a pretty good conclusion to the series. I think it's a wonder we even got one at all. The Al-Wu scene was probably my favourite part of the movie.

I still can't believe Stapleton became a reverend.

4 hours ago, Lady Olenna said:

It was during the mob attack on hearst. He looks like a bearded version of the character he played who killed wild bill. I was keeping an eye out for him as i thought it would be fun to see him play a third character in the show. There were a couple other bit roles where i wondered if they were actors who'd played deceased characters in the show.

38 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

He's not that hard to find.

Overall it was a pretty good conclusion to the series. I think it's a wonder we even got one at all. The Al-Wu scene was probably my favourite part of the movie.

I still can't believe Stapleton became a reverend.

Think my favorite scene was probably Al and Trixie at the end, but Al and Wu was great, too. I loved that Wu brought Al the medicinal tea. And little Wu. 

Wu, feed this fuck to the pigs

Jane saving Bullock was another highlight. 

I read that the actor who played Leon was an extra but didn't spot him. I knew Dillahunt immediately. 

It felt so great to be back in that world and that dialogue that I can overlook how rushed it was and some of the less plausible plot points. Powers Boothe was was sorely missed. We all could have used a little Cy Tolliver. 

A nice bittersweet epilogue for a fantastic series.

Al was always the heart of the show for me and his ending was perfect. Saving his final words to utter one last "fuck". 

Not exactly what the story was  with the new girl. I was initially thinking she was the daughter of the woman murdered to save Trixie. Maybe I'll have to rewatch it.

5 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Think my favorite scene was probably Al and Trixie at the end, but Al and Wu was great, too. I loved that Wu brought Al the medicinal tea. And little Wu. 

Wu, feed this fuck to the pigs

Jane saving Bullock was another highlight. 

She really did save him as there was no way bullock was sharp shooting out of that one. It was cute how Jane still couldn't take credit for her bravery and credited it to wild bill.

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

A nice bittersweet epilogue for a fantastic series.

Al was always the heart of the show for me and his ending was perfect. Saving his final words to utter one last "fuck". 

Not exactly what the story was  with the new girl. I was initially thinking she was the daughter of the woman murdered to save Trixie. Maybe I'll have to rewatch it.

I kind of felt like the new girl was going to turn out to be a child of one of the main cast. It did make her inclusion a bit odd.

Also Bullock's sparkly trousers were magnificent. Clearly within the intervening decade Seth killed himself a twilight vampire and made a pair of trousers out of their skin.

It was pretty good but I felt a bit dissapointed we didn't get a resolution with Hearst, although him getting beaten by the crowd and Trixies rant at him was great.

Sad to see Al go too :(.

A fine effort, with the usual superb dialogue and acting. It would've been terrific if they could've made it longer (by way of a miniseries or something), to allow for more conversation scenes (I was sorely missing conversations between Al and Alma, and Al and Farnum). However, I understand this is as much as we could've ever hoped for, so I'm still satisfied. 

26 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

A fine effort, with the usual superb dialogue and acting. It would've been terrific if they could've made it longer (by way of a miniseries or something), to allow for more conversation scenes (I was sorely missing conversations between Al and Alma, and Al and Farnum). However, I understand this is as much as we could've ever hoped for, so I'm still satisfied. 

Given Milch's health i think we're lucky to get what we have and a longer show might have proven taxing. I guess a miniseries or the original 3 films would have been ideal but not sure I'd want any without Al in them.

It could be worse, the creator of true detective could have been doing the extra episodes. Pretty sure i read somewhere he was involved in this. Maybe just helping with production? I know milch reciprocated and helped with TD3

Archived