Game of Thrones: The Last Watch - Documentary

RhaenysBee

On 6/3/2019 at 1:07 AM, Techmaester said:

It actually made sense in a way - if Martin was controlling the ending the show writers felt there was no point in investing any time into it because it had to end the place Martin wanted.

They knew the ending was shit but their hands were tied, they knew how poorly it would be received so they decided to not put any time into it. 

I think the ending was received poorly because of the how and not the what. At least that’s how I feel. I have no problem with any of the ending points where we left off the characters. What I have an issue with is how we were led to that point and how it was portrayed. That’s the very inbetween D&D were left in charge of. 

In my understanding, it was the frustration and anger at GRRM for not keeping his end of the bargain and their being pushed into something they never signed up for that led to their massive loss of motivation and commitment. 

11 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

Please, Sansa prevented him from making any more of fool of himself than he already had. His character was a total idiot in the show. And although she was firm, she had enough respect for him to say please.

???????? This statement doesn't make sense. Could you please clarify?

I'll never argue that actors aren't over paid. I think it's disgusting and I'm a right wing capitalist. But as long as we watch, we are complicit. The only way to ever change that is to boycott all tv and movies. I would do that happily, (I'd rather read a book most of the time) but unfortunately there are not enough people willing to give up their entertainment to make a difference. "We" would rather complain and point fingers than do something about it.

That being said, I loved Andy the extra, but he didn't put in a 10th of what the major actors in the show did. He did very little, never had to learn any lines and there were whole seasons he wasn't in. Plus it was more play to him than a job, whereas for the actors it is a JOB. A very demanding one, regardless of how much they like doing it. Emilia even said she was glad it was over cuz she was tired of it.

You may not like Sophie Turner, but did you notice when they were filming the funeral pyre scene at the beginning of 804, she continued to cry between takes as they refastened her Stark pin to her dress? That is committed acting. She is twice the actress Emilia Clarke is, or probably ever will be. I'm not saying that because I don't like Emilia, I do, but I just never thought she was a great actress.

I think the reason they focused on Kit and Emilia is because S8 was primarily about Jon and Dany. I enjoyed watching them, and NK guy was great, but I wish we could have seen more of the actors just being themselves.

I thoroughly enjoyed the "Last Watch". I knew enough to know that we as viewers don't appreciate the work that goes in to making such an epic show, but it was still amazing to watch. And to think, the snow is made out of just paper and water! I always wondered...

I think it was great to put the spotlight on the behind the scenes people. Perhaps some viewers will be less critical and nitpicky after seeing what goes into making a show like this. I think what made the biggest impact on me was near the beginning someone said at that each episode had as much as feature film in it, but they had to do it in less time and for less money. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Wasn't it weird to see wights eating lunch???? :lol:

I have no illusion that this order of the world could be changed and I never said it was something that necessarily needed changing. Yes I used financial compensation as a parallel basis of comparison beside their commitment to the story and their characters, and maybe that was needless, as my only goal was to point out the difference I personally saw and felt in their attitude. If I want a financial comparison I should probably look at the head makeup lady or the facility manager lady, because it was definitely a job for them and a terribly hard one too. But that’s not the point, as I said, I was trying to highlight the difference I felt in their commitment. 

Okay, I understand that you like Sansa as a character and Sophie as an actress. I don’t like Sansa as a character and I never found Sophie relatable or likable based on her presence online and in select interviews in which I have seen her. I have seen her in X-Men, Got and the twin ghost movie, while I’ve seen Emilia in Me before you, Star Wars and GoT. Based on these,  I do not believe Sophie is one bit better an actress than Emilia, I would say they are both mediocre. I do find Emilia a much more likable person. This is okay, each to their own, I don’t see the point in trying to convince one another about our personal preferences regarding characters and personal connection to the filtered imagine we see of the actors online and in press presence. 

I also agree it was a great way to put things in perspective. The documentary doesn’t change my opinion about season 8 story and character building but it makes me admire and respect the work behind production. I feel like this was their goal and for that the Last Watch was the perfect, sweetest, most heartwarming solution. 

I keep reading posts on Reddit where people are saying the executive producer in this documentary at the end talks about the crew, actors and the extras journey and just like Jon Snow and his family they will never meet each other again. This means they confirm that Jon Snow is never going back to Westeros to meet his family every again. Can anyone point out the exact time in the video where she says this ?

21 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

I think it was great to put the spotlight on the behind the scenes people. Perhaps some viewers will be less critical and nitpicky after seeing what goes into making a show like this. I think what made the biggest impact on me was near the beginning someone said at that each episode had as much as feature film in it, but they had to do it in less time and for less money. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

On a more positive side, I haven't heard anyone putting down the production itself. I found it to be very impressive. Most people are disgruntled with writing, e.g. character arcs, teleporters and battle tactics.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I think the ending was received poorly because of the how and not the what. At least that’s how I feel. I have no problem with any of the ending points where we left off the characters. What I have an issue with is how we were led to that point and how it was portrayed. That’s the very inbetween D&D were left in charge of. 

In my understanding, it was the frustration and anger at GRRM for not keeping his end of the bargain and their being pushed into something they never signed up for that led to their massive loss of motivation and commitment.

Indeed. D&D for all their faults were very good at adapting the work of GRRM to TV. If GRRM had promised to finish the books before the series got to it, and he failed to deliver, I could see how they would be frustrated. They must be aware that the writing took a nose dive from season 6 and onwards.

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Okay, I understand that you like Sansa as a character and Sophie as an actress. I don’t like Sansa as a character and I never found Sophie relatable or likable based on her presence online and in select interviews in which I have seen her. I have seen her in X-Men, Got and the twin ghost movie, while I’ve seen Emilia in Me before you, Star Wars and GoT. Based on these,  I do not believe Sophie is one bit better an actress than Emilia, I would say they are both mediocre. I do find Emilia a much more likable person. This is okay, each to their own, I don’t see the point in trying to convince one another about our personal preferences regarding characters and personal connection to the filtered imagine we see of the actors online and in press presence. 

I have not seen either Sophie or Emilia in other roles, so I can only compare their performances in GoT, and in that, I think Sophie is much better, although I wouldn't say great. Sadly, I do not even think Kit Harrington is a great actor, as much as I like him.

As far as passion for the show, Emilia didn't show any during the Last Watch. She was just glad for it to be over, which I can understand. It's a lot to commit to when you're one of the main characters.

I'm not into watching interviews, generally speaking. Actors can put on any face they want for an interview. I have watched some of the videos on you tube that are funny moments from cast interviews, so that is all I would have on which to base any opinions of their actual personalities, which isn't enough, so I don't. I do think Conleth Hill and Maisie Williams are hilarious!

14 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

Capable of what? To wear armor night and day? Being interrupted every time he talks to Sansa? 

He commands the Knights of the Vale, is a Lord of one of the major houses in the Vale and he was in charge of the Vale and Sweet Robbin during the time intervening Littlefinger leaving the Vale and rescuing the Northmen at the BotB. That is the experience the poster I was replying to believes Edmure had, and Lord Royce has more than he does, so by the other poster's criteria, that makes Lord Royce capable of being a king.

Archived