Faceless Men theory

The murder of Septon Moon remains a mystery, but we get some hints as to who might have caused his death. The theory that the Faceless Men killed Moon is thrown out because it was an amateurish murder which was very clearly murder. However, it’s worth pointing out that nobody could identify the woman who went to kill Moon and she was never seen again after the act.

I’ve been rethinking that scene again lately and what I’d honestly love to be true is the idea that it really was an agent of the FM, but it was their first murder. Like, say, an acolyte having their first go at it and botching it up. There’s always room for human error, even in such an organization as the FM, and the idea of one of them screwing up and barely getting away does humanize their organization somewhat. Plus it’s a pretty funny image, with someone who looks like Jaquan Hagar or the Kindly Man glaring at a sheepish-looking assassin just before taking away their sight or hearing as punishment for screwing up so badly.

3 hours ago, James Steller said:

The murder of Septon Moon remains a mystery, but we get some hints as to who might have caused his death. The theory that the Faceless Men killed Moon is thrown out because it was an amateurish murder which was very clearly murder. However, it’s worth pointing out that nobody could identify the woman who went to kill Moon and she was never seen again after the act.

I’ve been rethinking that scene again lately and what I’d honestly love to be true is the idea that it really was an agent of the FM, but it was their first murder. Like, say, an acolyte having their first go at it and botching it up. There’s always room for human error, even in such an organization as the FM, and the idea of one of them screwing up and barely getting away does humanize their organization somewhat. Plus it’s a pretty funny image, with someone who looks like Jaquan Hagar or the Kindly Man glaring at a sheepish-looking assassin just before taking away their sight or hearing as punishment for screwing up so badly.

First of all, taking away the sight or hearing is not punishment. It's part of the training of an FM, so they can train their other senses. Arya would have had her sight taken anyhow. They simply upped Arya's training.

Secondly, FM send their acolytes to kill for training in Braavos. They're not sending an acolyte to Oldtown. And a graduated FM would already have some kills behind their belt.

Sorry, but no.

16 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

First of all, taking away the sight or hearing is not punishment. It's part of the training of an FM, so they can train their other senses. Arya would have had her sight taken anyhow. They simply upped Arya's training.

Secondly, FM send their acolytes to kill for training in Braavos. They're not sending an acolyte to Oldtown. And a graduated FM would already have some kills behind their belt.

Sorry, but no.

True. Forgive me, it’s been a while since I read AFFC. So much for that idea. It was meant partly in jest anyway though, so no great loss.

1 minute ago, James Steller said:

True. Forgive me, it’s been a while since I read AFFC. So much for that idea. It was meant partly in jest anyway though, so no great loss.

That's alright. Keep on thinking and theorizing :)

Archived