Pate in Citadel is not dead yet

oggy1324

In the prologue of AFFC we learn that Pate died at the end. However in Sam POVs in ADWD Pate was still there alive, which gives me a thought that that one is not the real Pate or maybe he was brought back to life by some magic.... What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2019 at 11:59 AM, Gerg Sknab said:

Faceless men are killers not sure what this "alchemist" is doing having taken on at least three different faces while wandering the seven kingdoms. Who exactly is his target and why was whoever targeted?

Three faces?   Jaquen, the Alchemist, and.....???

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 7:50 PM, SorveteQuente said:

The clue that lets us believe that this Pate is a fake Pate is he comparing himself to the "pig boy", which wouldn't make much sense for the real Pate to say since he's ashamed of his name.

Looks like the Alchemist has had some practice impersonating dead fat people.  And now he's about to put Sam to bed.

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:15 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

We know that he's dead because he gets poisoned by a coin, the way Arya killed the insurance man. He also refers to himself as "like the pig boy" and we know that Pate hates that reference.

We know that he's dead because he's a prologue POV character.  And they don't tend to survive after their first chapter.

• 6 months later...
On 4/16/2021 at 12:15 PM, Jaenara Belarys said:

We know that he's dead because he gets poisoned by a coin, the way Arya killed the insurance man. He also refers to himself as "like the pig boy" and we know that Pate hates that reference.

Yes, and there is, I believe, another pretty important clue that Jaqen H'ghar and the Alchemist are probably one and the same.  Don't know if I should spoiler this so I'm gonna err on the side of caution:

Spoiler

In Harrenhall, Jaqen passes his hand over his face and changes his appearance to show Arya.  The description of his new face is virtually the same as the later description of the Alchemist's face.

Jaqen changes his face in front of Arya:

A Clash of Kings - Arya IX

"I do. My time is done." Jaqen passed a hand down his face from forehead to chin, and where it went he changed. His cheeks grew fuller, his eyes closer; his nose hooked, a scar appeared on his right cheek where no scar had been before. And when he shook his head, his long straight hair, half red and half white, dissolved away to reveal a cap of tight black curls.

Pate asks to see the Alchemists face:

A Feast for Crows - Prologue

"As you wish." The alchemist pulled his hood down.

He was just a man, and his face was just a face. A young man's face, ordinary, with full cheeks and the shadow of a beard. A scar showed faintly on his right cheek. He had a hooked nose, and a mat of dense black hair that curled tightly around his ears. It was not a face Pate recognized. "I do not know you."

The Faceless Men want the key to the locked library in the Citadel for a reason.  The Alchemist has to impersonate Pate to move freely around the Citadel.

On 12/1/2021 at 2:27 PM, Prince of the North said:

Yes, and there is, I believe, another pretty important clue that Jaqen H'ghar and the Alchemist are probably one and the same.  Don't know if I should spoiler this so I'm gonna err on the side of caution:

And that too, yes. Although what exactly he wants is another question. 

The Artist Formerly Known As Jaqen H'ghar is obviously out to kill somebody. But whom and on behalf of whom is the question. And yes, this could be about forbidden knowledge of dragons.

The striking thing is that he was present when Sam met Archmeaster Marwyn and the two had their conversation. I suspect Marwyn was his target (for his forbidden knowledge), but Marwyn left for Essos just a moment after that. So if we see "Pate" or maybe even "Sam" being headed for Essos in the near future...

Archived