All time Top Fighters

14 hours ago, Baelor 'Breakspear' said:

Do your list then with fighters from all the 10.000 years, with evidence other than legends and tales from the books. 

As I said before, it's pointless to make lists, which are heavilly skewed. Now, can you please stop quoting me?

3 hours ago, Winter prince said:

Tourney's are just boys playing at war...

Can I ask why you gave weight to armored fighters or how they were armed?

For example Khal drogo has no armor so in a 1V1 against soemone that has he is in a disadvantage. A example of this is Barristan Selmy vs Krhazz in Dance  

On 6/13/2019 at 3:04 PM, Baelor 'Breakspear' said:

For example Khal drogo has no armor so in a 1V1 against soemone that has he is in a disadvantage. A example of this is Barristan Selmy vs Krhazz in Dance  

Okay so like a power ranking essentially. Makes sense 

On 6/7/2019 at 12:28 AM, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

Based upon feats in battle:

• Daemon Blackfyre: hailed for his skill at arms, defeated Gwayne Corbray, who is famed enough to get a mention when Jaime and Loras discuss the best members of the Kingsguard. One of the only cases I can recall of one of the top fighters defeating another very high level fighter in a fair fight.
  • Duncan the Tall: not really brought up for his skill at arms that much, but he killed Daemon III, who was possibly wielding Blackfyre, defeated the Laughing Storm, probably has a few more feats we don't know about including Blackfyre rebellion 3 and Peak Uprising.
  • Barristan Selmy: cut a bloody path through the Golden Compancy before he even got a Maelys.
  • Robert I Baratheon: probably not a top pick, but honestly based on battle experience and feats he deserves it; Marq Grafton at Gulltown, 3 Lords at Summerhall, probably would have killed JonCon, himself a renowned knight, then went on to kill Rhaegar.
  • Jaime Lannister: has less feats to his name than some of the others, but his performance at the Whispering Woods earns him a place on the list

Honourable mention to Garlan Tyrell, whose performance on the Blackwater rivals Jaime's at the Whispering Wood. Being only 23 and in good health we may yet see more feats of arms from him.

Obviously this way of listing is quite flawed, some big names are absent, maybe just because they didn't get a chance to fight in a proper battle. But I think this is a more interesting way of judging some of the fighters than just going by a few duels with opponents who are not necessarily of the highest level.

What are the absent big names? I think the list ijcludes the best fighters and there are many elite ones in the honourable mentions

On 6/6/2019 at 12:15 AM, nyser1 said:

We have more text attesting to Eddard's skill than Oberyn historically. Oberyn did do well against the Mountain, we all know that. We have differing opinions, I can respect that.

We actually don't know much about Ned's ability. In the rebellion we don;t know if he fought in the front lines, noting about what happened in the tower of joy, and we know that he got wrecked (along with Cassel,so a 1v2) by Royce in winterfell., so that makes automatically Royce>Ned

23 hours ago, Baelor 'Breakspear' said:

We actually don't know much about Ned's ability. In the rebellion we don;t know if he fought in the front lines, noting about what happened in the tower of joy, and we know that he got wrecked (along with Cassel,so a 1v2) by Royce in winterfell., so that makes automatically Royce>Ned

We know that he was involved in several battles in the rebellion, the tower of joy, the Greyjoy rebellion, the fight with royce, the fight in the streets of KL, am I missing any?

We know that Oberyn fought a Lord Yronwood using poison and fought the mountain. Comparatively speaking it is less.

But yes, Bronze beastmode Yohn 1 on 1 skills > Ned's skills.

18 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

We know that he was involved in several battles in the rebellion, the tower of joy, the Greyjoy rebellion, the fight with royce, the fight in the streets of KL, am I missing any?

We don't know if he fought in the frontlines in the rebellion, in Greyjoy rebellion we don't know either and fight of KL he didn't really do match did he?

Argillac the arrogant? Even as an old man he was a human wrecking ball and it’s heavily implied that had he not been exhausted, wounded and as old as he was Orys Baratheon would have died instead. Not to mention his super genes which basically booted out any hint of Targaryen from his line despite the name change

44 minutes ago, FitzChivalry Fartseer said:

Argillac the arrogant? Even as an old man he was a human wrecking ball and it’s heavily implied that had he not been exhausted, wounded and as old as he was Orys Baratheon would have died instead. Not to mention his super genes which basically booted out any hint of Targaryen from his line despite the name change

We barely know anything about him tho and he has no known achievements

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t like Barristan over Daemon but do agree with your top 5 and even like your top 10.

The only glaring omission that occurred was Maegor who was the youngest knight until Daemon I believe and he defeated 7 of the most skilled knights in all of Westeros with some less than ideal team members. He was crushing grown men in melees at age 12-13. 

I hate to fanboy but Mance is the best black brother acoording to Qhorin who is a legend himself. 

Brienne can hang with anyone and has an interesting defensive style that would serve her well against high caliber opponents

However the Dunk we have seen so far wouldn’t hang with these guys I’m sorry. Perhaps the Dunk that beat an older laughing storm is significantly better. He’s An all time great but not as high on my list as others. 

Rhaegar had the pure skill to defeat anyone but was undoubtedly bested on that particular day. 

Daemon Targ despite losing to the traitor Criston Cole in a melee (perhaps a joust as well) the Rogue Prince would never back down from any man on this list. And with his VS blade along with that temper and reputation, I’d never bet against him. 

On 6/3/2019 at 12:15 PM, Baelor 'Breakspear' said:

Yes, another fighting ranking.Still a really interesting topic imo. The rules are 1) that anyone can have whatever weapon they want (sword, spear, hammer but can use Valyrian steel weapons only if they have ever used it in the story) 2) Characters that don't wear armor (Drogo, Belwas, Krhazz) will be judged considering their disadvantage and characters that have special armor (Euron) will be judged upon that 

Criteria

- How good were there in their prime

-Achievements (tourneys, battles, 1v1s,)

- Opinion of other characters towards them (ex. Osgrey to Daemon, Brienne to Jaime)

- experience ( ex Barristan gets bonus points, Loras minus)

- Intelligence

- Equipments (Armor, valyrian steel)

-Fighting ability

-strenght and size

P.S

many great figters are not here because we don't know enough of them/we don't know how good they were/relied on dragons (Aegon, Maegor etc)

1. Arthur Dayne

Legendary sword fighter, with one of the best swords ever forged. Jaime, Selmy and Rhaegar have great respect for him. Had many achievements in tourneys where he own the one in Lannisport and did quite well in the one of Storm's end and Harrenhall. Killed the smiling knight, the Gregor clegane of jaime's generation, and murdered a lot of the members of his brotherhood. Also fought valiantly in the tower of joy where we have to assume at least two men. GRRM says he is the best fighter ever in the asoiaf series. 

2. Barristan Selmy

Barristan the bold, Barristan the badass or whitebeard, however you call him he is a beast. Has a lot of experience, great skill and intelligence. He has the most achievements of everyone here. He won countless duels, killed Toyne, fought against the brotherhood, won countless tournaments, fought valiantly in the battle of the Trident where he slew countless men, was a hero in the greyjoy rebellion and was the hero in the ninepenny kings and the defiance of Duskendale. Even at an old age he defeated great fighters like Krhazz, so imagine him in the defiance and the fifth Blackfyre rebellion where he was in his prime . Only reason he is not first is because he didn't possess valyrian steel or a sword as powerful as Dawn.

3. Daemon Blackfyre

Described as the warrior himself . He had the best sword, Blackfyre and own many battles in his rebellion. When Daeron the good orderen his kingsguard to capture him he managed to escape with Fireball, so basically a 7v2 against some elite level knights. His duel with Corbray is supposed to be one of the best ever. He died because of his honour so technically he was never defeated in a 1v1.  Described as the warrior himself in the Redgrass field by Osgrey, where he lead the battle and destroyed the forces of the Vale lade by lord Donnel Arryn.

4. Aemon Dragonknight

The most noble knight to ever exist, with legendary sword skills. Mentioned to be also a great jouster. Defeated a Dornish champion and was captured while defending his Kind, Daeron after killing 2 traitors. Carried Baelor after he got attacked by snakes. Killed Morgil in a trial by combat. Disguised as the Knight of Tears, Aemon won a really important tournament. Died protecting Aegon the fourth. He is remembered as a hero compared to heroes from the age of heroes.

5. Jaime Lannister

Jaime Lannister ,while he hasn't got the achievements of Barry, Dayne, Aemon or Robert and has a big stain on his name, but is one of the best fighters ever seen. At the age of thirteen Jaime won his first tourney melee. Fought well against the brotherhood, even dueling the smilling knight. Became the youngest kingsguard member.He didn't do much during Robert's rebellion except killing Aerys. During Robert's reign till his maiming, he was the best fighter alive. Won many tourneys and was a hero of the Greyjoy rebellion. If he didn't lose his hand he would be the 1st or 2nd as I believe he is the best fighter overall, but his prime didn't last long, didn't have a Valyrian steel sword and he doesn't have near enough achievements as others on the list 

6. Robert Baratheon

During his prime he was a beast. He is tall, fast and brave. He lead his rebellion where he was always in the frontline killing many great fighters.  Robert slew Marq Grafton in Gulftown, in Sumerhall he defeted lords Grandison, Fell and Cafferen. Lost at Ashford, but then injured killed many men during the legendary battle of Stoney sept. He almost killed Jon Con there. Then the highlight of his life happened in the battle of the trident where he slew Rhaegar one of the best fighters ever, among other knights. He won the name "the demon of the trident" because of how well he fought there. He wasn't very good in tourneys, but his prowess in battle was almost unmatched. He also fought well in the rebellion of the Iron Islands. After that he became fat so he basically could fight. He has the most achievements here after Selmy but his prime didn't last long and he wasn't a good jouster, or good with a sword, as he preferred his Warhammer

7.  Ryam Redwyne

Ryam was considered the greatest knight of his time (Jaehaerys reign). He was good with Lance and sword. He entered the Kingsguard at 60 ac. He won many important tourneys and in 98 ac he had the best duel ever versus Clement Crabb where they broke thirty(!) lances. It is considered the best display of jousting in the asoiaf universe. Dunk considers him as an all time great, he is the idol of Robb Stark and Jaime holds a lot of admiration towards him

8. Ser Duncan the Tall

Dunk possesses great strength and height but doesn't lack in skill. He has got many achievements even comparables to the ones of Barristan or Robert's. His adventures with Egg include many of them such as defeating Aeron Targaryen, killing Inchfield, and ending the second Blackfyre rebellion but his most impressive feats can be found after he joined the Kingsguard. Where he slew Daemon Balckfyre the third in single combat. He defeated Lyonel Baratheon, the laughing storm, in a 1v1. He died in summerhall but even then he saved many people that were there.

9. Gwayne Corbray

During the Blackfyre rebellion, in the red grass field, he dueled with Daemon for nearly an hour, but he lost. Daemon is considered to be one the best fighters ever, so being able to duel him for an hour is an amazing feat. It is considered to be the best duel Westeros has ever seen, and if he didn't hold Daemon for so long the rebels would have probably won. He also carries a valyrian steel blade, Lady Forlon

10. Oberyn Nymeros Martell

One of the most interesting and cool character in the whole series, Oberyn is an excellent fighter. He defeated lord Yronwood at an young age and later joined sellsword companies, even founding one. His fighting ability with a spear is unrivaled . He participated in many tourneys but didn't have the success of other people in this list. His duel with the mountain is what truly makes him so legendary, as he own the duel even though he died. I n this scenario personal vendettas don't exist so he is better than the Gregor, which is not easy at all. 

11. Sandor Clegane

The Hound is a great fighter and one of the better in the current story. In the first book he unhorses Renly and defeats Jaime in the tourney of the hand . He manages to reach the final and wins the tourney, which is a great achievement as many great fighters fought in the tourney and late kills many of Ned's personal guard. He fights well against the citizens in the riot of King's Landing where he save Sansa and in the battle of Blackwater, before leaving. Despite his fear of fire he defeats Beric Dondarrion, who is a great fighter. His size and skill makes him a difficult opponent

12. Rhaegar Targaryen

He is probably the best jouster here along with Dayne and Barristan Selmy. He won the one in harrenhall, the greatest tourney ever, defeated Arthur Dayne in the one at Storm's end before being unhorsed by Selmy in the final. After defeating a lot great knights, like Barristan Selmy, Tygett and Gerion Lannister ,he lost to Dayne in the tourney of Lannisport. In Harrenhall he showed how truly great of a jouster he was. So why is he so lowly placed here ? Because in the first battle he fought, he died. Also while he was skilled with the lance he was not as good with the sword and he was more interested with music and prophecies than with fighting

13. Gregor Clegane

Gregor is well known for his size, strength, and prowess in battle. Gregor is extremely tall . Gregor weighs 190 kg with all of it being muscle. He has a six feet tall sword and his strength allows him to cut men in half with a single attack. He has great warrior instincts. He is basically here because of his size. Even thought he seems like undefeatable because of his size, Oberyn showed us that if he have enough skill and intelligence you can defeat him.

14. Quentyn Ball

Quentyn Ball is one of the best fighters and probably the most underrated one. He the master at arms in the red keep and some of his students were Daemon Blackfyre, Baelor Breakspear or Maekar the first. He was promised to be a kingsguard member by Aegon the 4th but he was refused by his son. When the 7 members of the kingsguard went to arrest Daemon he and Daemon managed to escape a 7v2 . During the rebellion he killed Lefford Lannister, defeated his son Damon and slew all of the sons of lord Penrose in combat, except one.  Described as one of the heros of the Blackfyre side

15. Qhorin Halfhand

The best fighter in the wall, even after his injury. Jon admits that Qhorin would have destroyed him, and we have to take into account that Qhorin 1) Didn't have Valyrian steel 2)Was past his prime 3) Had an injury in his hand so he fought with his weak hand. He is a living legend in the wall.

Honourable mentions:

Khal Drogo (Would have been in the list if he had armor),  H'raz (the best pit fighter in Meereen, probably one of the best in the world), Syrio Forel (Beast with a wooden sword, so with a steel one he would be a beast. He was also out of prime, but because we don't know how good he was I can't put him in the top 15), Cregan stark ( Aemon said he was one of the best fighters he has battled, and that was when he was old), Loras (inexperienced), Bronze yohn royce ( Beast) , Thoros of Myr ( flaming sword is so cool), Brynden Tully (most badass of the Tullys), Bittersteel and Bloodraven( their duel is said to be quite epic), Brienne of Tarth(great fighter, strong and brave) Mance Ryder ( kicked Jon's ass and Jon was training ALL THE TIME during Adwd), Robb Stak ( fought in the frontlines many time during the war of the five kings) Tygett Lannister (It is said that Jaime fights like him) Garlan Tyrell ( Best fighter at then end of Dance imo) Victarion ( kinda like a worse Robert) Greatjon Umber (He is huge and the best warrior of the north imo) 

I thought of a big one you missed. Your namesake Baelor Breakspear could probably hang with if not outright defeat the majority of this list 

18 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I don’t like Barristan over Daemon but do agree with your top 5 and even like your top 10.

The only glaring omission that occurred was Maegor who was the youngest knight until Daemon I believe and he defeated 7 of the most skilled knights in all of Westeros with some less than ideal team members. He was crushing grown men in melees at age 12-13. 

I hate to fanboy but Mance is the best black brother acoording to Qhorin who is a legend himself. 

Brienne can hang with anyone and has an interesting defensive style that would serve her well against high caliber opponents

However the Dunk we have seen so far wouldn’t hang with these guys I’m sorry. Perhaps the Dunk that beat an older laughing storm is significantly better. He’s An all time great but not as high on my list as others. 

Rhaegar had the pure skill to defeat anyone but was undoubtedly bested on that particular day. 

Daemon Targ despite losing to the traitor Criston Cole in a melee (perhaps a joust as well) the Rogue Prince would never back down from any man on this list. And with his VS blade along with that temper and reputation, I’d never bet against him. 

Yeah Daemon Targ had a Drafon in ost of hid fights and Dunk has many achievements in his later life. ( Blackfyre )

18 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

I thought of a big one you missed. Your namesake Baelor Breakspear could probably hang with if not outright defeat the majority of this list 

I mean he is good, but we don't know much about his individual achievements and we know that he is worse than Maekar and Daemon Blackfyre

On 7/18/2019 at 10:53 AM, Baelor 'Breakspear' said:

I mean he is good, but we don't know much about his individual achievements and we know that he is worse than Maekar and Daemon Blackfyre

Certainly not worse than Maekar. If I’m not mistaken He only inferred it was Maekar who dealt his eventual mortal blow as he was holding off multiple Kingsguard. It’s not as if he and Maekar were 1 Vs. 1. I’m going from memory so correct me if I’m wrong but Baelor is undoubtedly held in higher martial esteem than Maekar. 

I always read Baelor as an Antithesis to Daemon so I agree he probably wouldn’t outright beat him on the majority of their encounters (as Daemon is my number 1-2) but he did defeat Daemon at the Princesses wedding tourney. So he was likely as skilled as any knight on the list 

Archived