All time Top Fighters

13 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Certainly not worse than Maekar. If I’m not mistaken He only inferred it was Maekar who dealt his eventual mortal blow as he was holding off multiple Kingsguard. It’s not as if he and Maekar were 1 Vs. 1. I’m going from memory so correct me if I’m wrong but Baelor is undoubtedly held in higher martial esteem than Maekar. 

I always read Baelor as an Antithesis to Daemon so I agree he probably wouldn’t outright beat him on the majority of their encounters (as Daemon is my number 1-2) but he did defeat Daemon at the Princesses wedding tourney. So he was likely as skilled as any knight on the list 

I believe Maekar was fighting Baelor and Lyonel Baratheon at the same time when he dealt the killing blow to Baelor, although Maekar admits himself that he may have only landed that blow due to the confusion of the attack he was weathering. I seriously doubt either brother wanted to hurt the other, but I tend to think that Maekor may be a better warrior than Baelor in most aspects except perhaps jousting. It’s harder to be an anvil than a hammer 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:22 AM, FitzChivalry Fartseer said:

I believe Maekar was fighting Baelor and Lyonel Baratheon at the same time when he dealt the killing blow to Baelor, although Maekar admits himself that he may have only landed that blow due to the confusion of the attack he was weathering. I seriously doubt either brother wanted to hurt the other, but I tend to think that Maekor may be a better warrior than Baelor in most aspects except perhaps jousting. It’s harder to be an anvil than a hammer 

Good point on the jousting that may be absolutely correct. But I disagree on the anvil V hammer debate. In this particular case the hammer turned the tide of battle. Maekar Could have been just as or more effective in Baelor’s position but I’d lean Baelor for his combination of Mind/Body/Soul. The tourney lance trick is a good example. 

On 7/20/2019 at 4:11 AM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Certainly not worse than Maekar. If I’m not mistaken He only inferred it was Maekar who dealt his eventual mortal blow as he was holding off multiple Kingsguard. It’s not as if he and Maekar were 1 Vs. 1. I’m going from memory so correct me if I’m wrong but Baelor is undoubtedly held in higher martial esteem than Maekar. 

I always read Baelor as an Antithesis to Daemon so I agree he probably wouldn’t outright beat him on the majority of their encounters (as Daemon is my number 1-2) but he did defeat Daemon at the Princesses wedding tourney. So he was likely as skilled as any knight on the list 

I think in a dunk story it is mentioned that Maekar is a really good fighter

apovsic's definitely right that the all time top fighters certainly can't be ranked considering that we probably don't even know about most of them. The only one on OP's list that might make that cut would be Arthur Dayne, with Dawn, and not without.

But for list of the Top Fighters that are recent to the time period of the ASOIAF narrative, then yeah that list is pretty damn accurate unless there's wacky wuxia fighters in Yi-Ti or Leng.

On 7/23/2019 at 7:40 AM, Colvinus said:

apovsic's definitely right that the all time top fighters certainly can't be ranked considering that we probably don't even know about most of them. The only one on OP's list that might make that cut would be Arthur Dayne, with Dawn, and not without.

But for list of the Top Fighters that are recent to the time period of the ASOIAF narrative, then yeah that list is pretty damn accurate unless there's wacky wuxia fighters in Yi-Ti or Leng.

We know details of the story only in the last 300 years and only in Westeros and little of west Essos in terms of fighters. Probably if we knew more about the age of heroes noone would be on a top 15 ranking as they would have magic powers

Archived