What was the purpose of Jon Snow?

Areisius

9 hours ago, Joey Crows said:

The first two I totally get. Forgive me if my memory of the Young Dragon's story is hazey, but how does that apply?

It reveals his idolization of Targaryens, that he bought the propaganda that Daeron spun about himself (he wrote his own book about his conquests). But the older folks know some of the truths behind the spin. They tell him that Daeron lost some 10-50 thousand men trying to hold Dorne and that ships helped win the battle, not infantrymen, as Jon believed. 

On 6/30/2019 at 11:13 AM, King Wyman said:

Dany was Frodo, no?

She was the one with the madness/temptation of power plot the Frodo’s and Rand’s go through, she just didn’t overcome it like they did.

Jon will be posted up at the Wall for a few decades before dying of old age, not sure how that equals Frodo traumatically sailing off to die. 

I’m sorry, but too much of the ending feels like fan service (Bronn, Sam, Gendry) or unearned happy endings (Tyrion, Bran, Sansa). 

You can’t throw all the bitter on one character, and give the rest feel-good Disney endings and call it bittersweet. 

Frodo wasn’t the only character sailing to his death at the end. 

Jon’s never coming back south of the Wall just like Frodo’s never coming back to Middle Earth.

Bran didn’t get a happy ending. He even says that he doesn’t wish his fate on anyone. He lives in the past and is fused to an alien entity.

17 hours ago, Lord_Ravenstone said:

Jon’s never coming back south of the Wall just like Frodo’s never coming back to Middle Earth.

Bran didn’t get a happy ending. He even says that he doesn’t wish his fate on anyone. He lives in the past and is fused to an alien entity.

If Bran didn’t want to be king, then he would have never left Wintefell. Or wouldn’t have sassily said “why do you think I came all this way”. Or would have spoken up about all the things he was seeing to try to prevent what happened. He also agreed to be king, can step down whenever he wants, and seems content with his 3EC powers.

And Frodo left Middle Earth with Bilbo, Gandalf, and a bunch of elves. They were on the bittersweet boat with him leaving their home forever because magic left the world.

Jon is probably sleeping in the same bed he did in season 5 as he patrols the same areas he did in season 1. And the only other character in his proximity is happily returning home. 

Frodo also left a hero beloved by the masses. Jon is an exiled criminal who’s reputation is shot. 

Every other character has a choice in their fate (Frodo did too), but Jon doesn’t. That’s kinda my point. He took all the bitter for everyone else’s benefit.

Archived