US Politics: Reaching the Tipping Point

DMC

Hard To Miss: Giant Penis May Have Been The First Protest Trump Saw Heading Into London
“Guess who’s been busy today mowing a stiff message for Trump” under his flightpath, tweets British high school student.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/giant-penis-protest-trump-london_n_5cf59bb8e4b0a1997b6f5bdd

A cheeky British high school student carved a giant penis into his family’s spacious lawns to give Donald Trump a big Resistance hello as the president flew into London on Monday. The penis — paired with the words “Oi Trump” — can be easily seen from the air and is just minutes from London Stansted Airport, where Trump landed.

The protest “art” also included a giant polar bear with the message: “Climate change is real.”

44 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What is the tipping point, then? And how are we going to pay our tipped workers?

These are the questions this thread must answer!!!  :D

3 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

What is the tipping point, then? And how are we going to pay our tipped workers?

Full minimum wage, of course, to make up for all the slow shifts.  Yes, a good weekend, I could make $200-$300.  But I also had plenty of shifts where the take was all of ten bucks.  

Taxes.  Back in the day at the pizza joint, as part of the clock out, we had to enter the tips we'd made that shift.  You *could* enter zero, but do that to many times and it sent flags through the system, prompting audits.  IRS had it's own formula for how much employees received in tips, and the W2's reflected that.  I remember being impressed (and disappointed) at just how close the IRS formula came to my tip total.  

Trumps tariff threat against Mexico apparently produced the desired results...at least for the time being.  Sort of.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexico-cracks-down-on-migrants-after-pressure-from-trump-to-act/ar-AACkScv?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR3i4yCPpSy7eqphS8N_HlgvbSTzaLVozHG_B5EwXv-QZwOPsQHJlYazaRs

Agents rushed door to door, hauling people away, while migrants shouted or ran out the back, scampering over the rooftops of neighboring homes, witnesses said.

It was one of several raids here last week to sweep up migrants, part of a broad Mexican crackdown against the surge of Central Americans and others streaming toward the United States. In recent weeks, the Mexican authorities have been breaking up migrant caravans and setting up round-the-clock roadblocks along common routes north.

Detentions and deportations in Mexico are multiplying quickly, sowing fear among the many thousands of Central Americans and others crowding the migrant shelters and budget hotels here in southern Mexico, most of them hoping to reach the American border.

7 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Well, that should make the stock markets happy.

@Jace, Basilissa before you participate in Survivor, I recommend you establish residence in Florida.  Or maybe Texas.  But without income tax.  And yeah, you'll pay tax at the full individual rate, and at least a part of your winnings will be taxed at 37% federal plus all the extras.  So, that's fun.  Honestly $1 million isn't worth doing a ton of planning for (I know, I know, I know).  If you think you are going to get sponsorships/influencer jobs, that's worth playing for and structuring appropriately.

12 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

@Jace, Basilissa before you participate in Survivor, I recommend you establish residence in Florida.  Or maybe Texas.  But without income tax.  And yeah, you'll pay tax at the full individual rate, and at least a part of your winnings will be taxed at 37% federal plus all the extras.  So, that's fun.  Honestly $1 million isn't worth doing a ton of planning for (I know, I know, I know).  If you think you are going to get sponsorships/influencer jobs, that's worth playing for and structuring appropriately.

Thanks, Mlle. 

I think the primary concern. If appearing on Survivor has to be making sure you leave a big enough impression to be invited back or asked to do commercials.

Tipping point to impeachment: when the finance industry is shook up enough.

Downing Street Larry the Cat blocked the Beastmobile, so the POTUS motorcade was held up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/larry-the-downing-street-cat-throws-diplomatic-shade-under-trump-s-limo/ar-AACnyDH

In the meantime They keep doin' their shyte to the environment, the legal system, women and all the other "Others" who continue despite being told to sdsu, to persist, destroying the world and handing the spoils to their own pockets and the pockets of their enablers.

Also in the meantime, Elizabeth Warren, who persists, seems to be garnering more support ... and thus attention, while many of the other hats that were so enthusiastically thrown in the ring are getting lost in the back of the wardrobe.  Which reminds me to check again on where our lunk of a mayor's hat is -- last I heard he hadn't garnered enough signatures to get included in the debate, but maybe by now?  Really?

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1135741806342287360

16 points are made regarding the evolution of sf/f as the current reference points of political discourse -- we get to  Tolkien toward the end of the thread's points.  The first one:

1. So I have a few thoughts on H.G. Wells, Henry James, Hugh Kenner, Guy Davenport, National Review & how sci-fi & fantasy became the lingua franca of political discourse.

Trump tightens Cuba travel rules
The US bans cruises and restricts certain travel in a move meant to pressure Cuba.

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/4/18652342/cuba-trump-restrictions-travel-cruises

The Trump administration is moving ahead with new travel restrictions for Cuba.

The new rules ban US cruise ships from stopping in Cuba and eliminate the “people to people” travel loophole that has allowed Americans to visit the the island nation as part of organized group educational tours and thereby get around the myriad federal restrictions limiting travel to the communist country.

According to the Treasury Department, the new rules will go into effect Wednesday. Travelers who’ve already booked their trips will be allowed to continue with their plans, however.

The new restrictions serve two purposes for the Trump administration: fulfilling a campaign pledge of the president’s and punishing Cuba for its support of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro, whom the US has been trying to oust for months.

6 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The US's fascination with Cuba is fascinating.

A lot of very rich, powerful and political Americans lost a lot of property when their Cuban slave state was overthrown, and they’re still mad about losing their slaves, their playground, their money, and their “investments” and they want them ALL back.

Possession of Cuba has always been among the many strategic aspirations of USians -- especially Slavocracy sorts, and now their descendants politically speaking -- is to make Cuba a state -- or now even stateS -- with more senators etc. who vote RIGHT.  And who would add more power to the slaveowners -- and best of all, a massive market for their own slaves, since they'd carefully abolished the competitive, much less expensive straight-from-Africa people from the US.  So once Cuba was a US state, they couldn't import Africans and would be forced to buy labor from the reigning Old South, just as every new slave state had to do, and thereby enriching those old white guys even more.

But the North American colonies even, long before the war of independence, wanted Cuba.  They couldn't stand having a Catholic territory belonging to Spain so close.

Archived