US Politics: Reaching the Tipping Point

DMC

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

They are, literally, concentration camps. They are not death camps, but the concentration camps came and started in 1931. 

Concentration camps were a British invention during the Boer War.

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

And yet, a bunch of rational people have made some pretty accurate predictions about how a Trump presidency would go, or how he'd respond to various situations.  

And most of that post was about how other people (military specifically) respond to Trump.  So not really seeing the fantasy aspect of it

So, it was predicted that *rum* would stalk Hillary around the stage, loom over her from behind while she's responding to the 'moderator's" question, and she did -- what?  She really had no idea what to do, because anything she did would be wrong.

That's how irrational people behave, and you're stuck.

The military has been brainwashed for decades now by faux noose being aimed at them 24/7, on the bases, in the barracks, in the mess halls, on the planes including commercial flights and airports, and mo/hotels everywhere the military has bases, as on the Atlantic coast.  Not to mention overseas.

It's been infilterated by protected rightwing extreme evangelicals for the same number of decades.

It's not irrational to think that the potential for them supporting him in one way or another (see! Bolton! etc.).  Especially as he no longer even bothers to dog whistle but just says it right out front at his so-called rallies.  Watch what he says on July 4th.

We haven't been living in a world in which matters truth, rules and regulations, laws, honesty, loyalty, votes, etc. for a very long time.  And in fact, women and minorities have always lived in that world where these don't matter.  Now it's caught up with everybody.

As far as incarceration in massive camps go, that started already at the end of the 19th century. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/concentration-camps-existed-long-before-Auschwitz-180967049/

Also, even now, let us not forget 'reservations' in the USA . . . .

11 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Concentration camps were a British invention during the Boer War.

I think Kal was talking about specifically when the Nazis started using them, but it is valuable to remember that Germans didn't invent them and don't have the monopoly.

The US used concentration camps on my people during the Philippine rebellion against US rule in the early 20th century.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

I think Kal was talking about specifically when the Nazis started using them, but it is valuable to remember that Germans didn't invent them and don't have the monopoly.

The US used concentration camps on my people during the Philippine rebellion against US rule in the early 20th century.

Also, don't forget the vast gulag that was the USA's slaveocracy's Cotton Kingdom.  It was one mammoth locked down prison, from Virginia to the Gulf and up into Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky, with many an outpost in Missouri and Indiana.

Just now, Zorral said:

Also, don't forget the vast gulag that was the USA's slaveocracy's Cotton Kingdom.  It was one mammoth locked down prison, from Virginia to the Gulf and up into Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky, with many an outpost in Missouri and Indiana.

Ah yes, the genesis of idealized Southern manhood: you have to be tough and learn to ride and shoot so you can help keep the slaves down.

16 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Ah yes, the genesis of idealized Southern manhood: you have to be tough and learn to ride and shoot so you can help keep the slaves down.

I had a customer this week who literally told me that the problem with millennials is that "none of them know how to fire a gun from horseback." He then made it clear that all three of his millennial children were trained to do so.   

13 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I had a customer this week who literally told me that the problem with millennials is that "none of them know how to fire a gun from horseback." He then made it clear that all three of his millennial children were trained to do so.   

Leaving aside the stupidity of that skill being important, was there ever a time when most Americans of any generation knew how to do this?  Guns and horses are both pretty expensive, their presence is hardly ubiquitous.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Leaving aside the stupidity of that skill being important, was there ever a time when most Americans of any generation knew how to do this?  Guns and horses are both pretty expensive, their presence is hardly ubiquitous.

I’ve always associated that with the West more so than the South. In the South you have to learn how to crack a whip from horseback. Which explains why so many pitchers are white and from the South.

:P

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve always associated that with the West more so than the South. In the South you have to learn how to crack a whip from horseback. Which explains why so many pitchers are white and from the South.

:P

7/10 joke (Jace uses intelligent people scales where '5' is average). Workshop it and it's got 10/10 potential. I wouldn't open with it, but this needs to be in your standup routine.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

7/10 joke (Jace uses intelligent people scales where '5' is average). Workshop it and it's got 10/10 potential. I wouldn't open with it, but this needs to be in your standup routine.

I have a way to make it better, but I never can remember if it was Murphy, Rock or Chappelle who joked that racist Southerners accidentally messed around and made a super race.

49 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah it's like the 'conscript cavalry' shit.  Dude's a Big Game Great White Hunter type.  An extreme example for sure, just hadn't really heard shooting from horseback come up in conversation not related to literature or movies before so was kind of funny someone mentioned it here.  Dude also complained about how much the fees were increasing at the airstrip where he keeps his planes (for real).

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a way to make it better, but I never can remember if it was Murphy, Rock or Chappelle who joked that racist Southerners accidentally messed around and made a super race.

I don’t know about those three, but I know Burr did in a Hitler bit. 

Archived