US Politics: Reaching the Tipping Point

DMC

4 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I think Trump is just mad that they have a better healthcare system than us. In fact, he got in trouble in the UK for trying to repeal their National Health Service. Non-billionaires getting access to healthcare drives him nuts.

I doubt Trump either believes in or even knows about this fact. Hell, I doubt he knows much of anything about Cuba's healthcare system at all.

The only thing that matters top Trump is that Obama tried to loosen restrictions so doing the exact opposite is the only way forward. That or Cuba wouldn't let him build a series of shitty condos or a golf course or something.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Reading that article, and doing some googling, its pretty shocking *.  I mean, finding out a guy set in a Republican state to check if the (Republican) speaker of the house had framed an African-American poster would turn out to be a racist?  Or that the speaker of the house would subsequently have to resign because it turned out he's been doing drugs and sending sexually explicit texts? Or that some of those he was corresponding with wanted to refer to some African-American footballers as thug N*****?  Absolutely shocking.  

* Ok, I admit it isn't shocking.  It is sad though that it isn't shocking. 

The best argument I've read for impeachment. The Political Costs of Not Impeaching Trump.

On February 13, 2016, Justice Antonin Scalia died. Before his body was in the ground, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced he would block anyone President Barack Obama nominated to fill Scalia’s seat. The next week, Jeb Bush dropped out of the Republican primary, quickly followed by Marco Rubio, and eventually Ted Cruz, leaving Donald Trump as the presumptive nominee. Polls showed Hillary Clinton beating Trump by solid margins, with forecasters pegging her chances of victory from 71 to 85 percent, and Democrats favored to take back the Senate.

I was working for Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid at the time. Being in the minority limited our options for overcoming McConnell’s blockade. But whenever we started to contemplate more aggressive tactics, they were dismissed on the theory that the upcoming election would sort everything out. Why rock the boat, we told ourselves. We’re on a glide path to victory in November, and then President Clinton will submit her Supreme Court nominee to be confirmed by a Democratic Senate.

The rest is history. McConnell’s decision to block Garland consolidated Republican support behind Trump and helped him pull off a narrow victory. Instead of a Democratic president appointing a liberal justice to tilt the balance of the Supreme Court, Trump has appointed two justices to entrench a conservative majority for a generation.

Republicans wielded their power while we hoped for the best. And the course of history was altered forever.

There are two lessons here for House Democrats as they debate whether to open an impeachment inquiry into President Trump.

First, polling can change.

I don’t know how else to say this: getting impeached is bad. It is not something you want to happen to you, especially if you’re president. You do not want to go down as one of only four presidents in history to be impeached. This is a bad thing. Only Democrats, bless our hearts, could convince ourselves that it is good for a president to be impeached.

Richard Nixon’s approval rating was at 65 percent when his impeachment process began and only 19 percent of the public supported his impeachment. By the end, the numbers had flipped: his approval was 24 percent and support for impeachment was 57 percent. Former president Bill Clinton survived because he was popular and the man pursuing him, Independent Counsel Ken Starr, was not. The public rightly thought Starr was on a fishing expedition. By contrast, Special Counsel Robert Mueller is popular and the public thinks he is fair, while Trump is historically unpopular. Even though Clinton survived, his heir apparent lost the next election—which he had been heavily favored to win—while Republicans gained seats in Congress.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The US's fascination with Cuba is fascinating.

I feel like everyone I’ve interacted with outside of the U.S. has nothing but positive things to say about Cuba. The family that hosted me in Argentina goes there every year and they say it’s lovely.

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

What a perfect example of how the religious right thinks freedom of religion only applies to Christians.  

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I feel like everyone I’ve interacted with outside of the U.S. has nothing but positive things to say about Cuba. The family that hosted me in Argentina goes there every year and they say it’s lovely.

The food is notoriously shite.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Americans who go to Cuba also love it, for o so many diverse reasons.  I've been there many times, every year, since my first landing in 1990.

The good is tremendously good now, depending on where one eats, once the special period was over, and the Obama reforms came in, and Cubans were able to import food they needed.  

The eggs, pork, beef and lamb, home grown, without artificial feeds, on free range pasture without toxic pesticides, are ambrosial.  Not to mention the chocolate and other plant foods. Distribution is still a problem in many ways.  And again, now that Cuba is being unfairly literally punished by the dictatorial thieves and sadists running this country -- it's been difficult for common Cubans.  But those who run the palladars are doing just fine.

The people being punished are the poor and average person who doesn't have access to the jobs that the private sector has developed.  And in the private sector, where jobs were developing apace -- these sadists are putting a stop to that, just of the opposite of what they declare are the reasons for doing what they're doing. No surprise, am I right?

And I have just returned from another trip there, late last month.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What a perfect example of how the religious right thinks freedom of religion only applies to Christians.  

He hates gay people so much he’d allow an abuser to be able to more quickly get a gun. 

He’d put society at greater risk because of his bigotry. 

I honestly think he primarily doesn’t want to enforce the law in this case because he hopes some of the abusers do in fact kill their partners/ex-partners. 

9 hours ago, Durckad said:

The only thing that matters top Trump is that Obama tried to loosen restrictions so doing the exact opposite is the only way forward. That or Cuba wouldn't let him build a series of shitty condos or a golf course or something.

The right also thinks being "tough" on Cuba helps them in South Florida, which while it certainly did in the past is arguable at this point.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

The right also thinks being "tough" on Cuba helps them in South Florida, which while it certainly did in the past is arguable at this point.

However, despite Rubio convincing him otherwise, South Florida is NOT by and large in favor of this change.  So many of them are invested in all sorts of ways in their families' lucrative businesses there, creating wealth for their next generation.

It's the old white guys out of the urban areas who voted for him in Florida, the reports have told us -- not the hispanic communities. Miami-Dade went blue in 2016.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/2016/results/florida-president-clinton-trump

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I go to Cuba quite regularly and the people and the country are both lovely.

The food is not as bad as it was in the old days and much better in the last few years.

1 hour ago, maarsen said:

I go to Cuba quite regularly and the people and the country are both lovely.

The food is not as bad as it was in the old days and much better in the last few years.

Honestly I’ve had bad luck with food South of the border. Mexico was really hit or miss outside of the tourist spots, Caribbean food just didn’t agree with me and food in Argentina is tasteless outside of the steaks and chorizo sausages. It was so funny when I made host family spicy fajitas. It was like they had never had spices before.

But regardless, food would be the last thing that would stop me from visiting Cuba. It really is a shame that the government is reversing course.

He would have fought if it was the Nazis though, definitely.

Senator Tammy Duckworth Says Trump Has A ‘Yellow Streak Down His Back’
The military veteran called out the president for what he said to Piers Morgan about not serving in the Vietnam War.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/tammy-duckworth-donald-trump-vietnam-war_n_5cf816c0e4b0e63eda94bb3d

When Morgan asked the president with a straight face if he would have liked to serve had his condition not prevented him, Trump explained that the Vietnam War just wasn’t big enough for him:

Well, I was never a fan of that war, I’ll be honest with you. I thought it was a terrible war, I thought it was very far away. Nobody ever, you know, you’re talking about Vietnam, and at that time, nobody ever heard of the country. Today they are doing very well, in fact, on trade, they are brutal. They are very brutal.

Trump’s remarks inspired the ire of Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-Ill.), who had both legs amputated due to injuries suffered in Iraq in 2004.

First, she called out the president for avoiding military service to his country.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Biden's got an eye-popping 12 point lead (56-44) on Trump in a new North Carolina poll by Emerson.  N = 932, MOE +/- 3.1.

In addition to that, Trump is simply not doing well in a lot of key states:

Here are the raw numbers for Trump in the states that are expected to be competitive in the 2020 election:

• New Hampshire: 39 percent approval, 58 percent disapproval
  • Wisconsin: 42 percent approval, 55 percent disapproval
  • Michigan: 42 percent approval, 54 percent disapproval
  • Iowa: 42 percent approval, 54 percent disapproval
  • Arizona: 45 percent approval, 51 percent disapproval
  • Pennsylvania 45 percent approval, 52 percent disapproval
  • Ohio: 46 percent approval, 50 percent disapproval
  • North Carolina: 46 percent approval, 50 percent disapproval
  • Florida: 48 percent approval, 48 percent disapproval
  • Indiana: 49 percent approval, 46 percent disapproval

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/6/5/18653800/trump-approval-rating-by-state-2020-election-odds

Archived