Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

17 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Apparently Martin Tyler was questioning whether TAA is good enough to play for England. Err yes Martin he is.

That's weird, i didn't watch the match, but from the news analysis and stats i read, TAA was England's best against the Swiss.

Also, isn't Tyler a Yernited fan? :P

1 hour ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Also, isn't Tyler a Yernited fan? :P

Tyler supports Woking. He's said so himself.

Anyway, I think TAA should be first choice RB for England. He's as good as Kimmich. The back four should be TAA, Gomez, Maguire and Chilwell. 

Wan Bissaka is an excellent defensive fullback but his attacking play needs work -  would be a good option when England need the extra defensive cover otherwise Walker should be next in line. 

Southgate needs to start integrating Foden into the midfield as well.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Southgate needs to start integrating Foden into the midfield as well.

Maddison too. There's a lot of English talent at the moment. That fella Joe Willock who Arsenal brought on in the Europa League final looked gifted as well, though it's too early yet to start putting him in the squad it might not be long...

I’m surprised by this supposed bidding war for Maguire at 80 million when Alderweireld is available for 25 million on June 30th.  I know Toby is older than the ideal transfer target but he would improve any top 6 defense other than Liverpool.  Especially United or Arsenal.

Alderweireld would be good for Arsenal, but the whole Spurs/Arsenal dynamic might still be a thing.

Plus the age issue is acutely a problem at Arsenal who already have a backlog of those sorts of players. Koscielny is 33 (and probably still our best CB, which is an indictment on the others). Sokratis is 30 and Mustafi is 27.

I suppose you could bring Alderweireld in to partner with a young one like Holding, with Koscielny as the regular backup to either. I also wonder what's happening with Bielik. He was supposed to be a promising CB of the future.

Right now its hard to understand why Toby would want to go to Arsenal or United, they don't really seem to be a step up at all, maybe there is a pay rise involved, but still. 

As for Wan Bissaka, I'm a massive fan. He might not be as attacking as Kyle Walker but Walker gives me constant heart attacks because he has a huge habit of putting the rest of the side in massive danger every time he bursts up the right wing. 

AWB to United would be very good for them, fullback is for me their weakest point right now especially right back.

6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I’m surprised by this supposed bidding war for Maguire at 80 million when Alderweireld is available for 25 million on June 30th.  I know Toby is older than the ideal transfer target but he would improve any top 6 defense other than Liverpool.  Especially United or Arsenal.

I'm surprised that United are bothering with Maguire especially for the rumoured fee. There are numerous CBs at or above Maguire's level who wouldn't cost nearly as much. That is a grossly inflated fee for a player who, while better than the likes of Jones and Rojo, is not a top class CB. I'd be very disappointed should United fork out a record fee for a player who is not even half as good as VVD is even on his best day. 

8 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Right now its hard to understand why Toby would want to go to Arsenal or United, they don't really seem to be a step up at all, maybe there is a pay rise involved, but still. 

As for Wan Bissaka, I'm a massive fan. He might not be as attacking as Kyle Walker but Walker gives me constant heart attacks because he has a huge habit of putting the rest of the side in massive danger every time he bursts up the right wing. 

AWB to United would be very good for them, fullback is for me their weakest point right now especially right back.

I think very highly of AWB too but he has shown less attacking prowess than the elite FBs; more of a very good Clyne or a Gomez at RB than an Alexander-Arnold.  Considering United already have Dalot, who is a very attacking FB, I wonder what their pursuit of AWB says about their expected style of play. 

Do they expect AWB to develop his attacking abilities further? (He’s quite young yet).  Do they expect to play an attacking wide right winger ahead of him (none at the club currently), reducing the need for overlaps and crosses?  Do they want to play a flat back four, unlike Liverpool and City’s advanced FBs?  If so, does that mean no DM or only a single DM behind two attacking CMs?  

You would hope they have a clear plan in mind.

Depends. It could also make sense to sign him to have more tactical options. So when you face teams with quick attacking wingers (likesay City or Liverpool), having the option to close down the shop with a more defensive minded fb can be a good idea - simply offering less spae.

AWB being such a dominant defensive full back distracts from him actually being pretty handy going forwards as well. He completed 61 dribbles in the Premier League last year - by far the most for a full back (nearest competition was Pereira 51, Chilwell 47 and Taylor 39).

His crossing could do with a little work, especially when the main comparison is TAA, but as the only standout weakness of a 21 year old that shouldn’t be too big an issue.

1 hour ago, Philokles said:

AWB being such a dominant defensive full back distracts from him actually being pretty handy going forwards as well. He completed 61 dribbles in the Premier League last year - by far the most for a full back (nearest competition was Pereira 51, Chilwell 47 and Taylor 39).

His crossing could do with a little work, especially when the main comparison is TAA, but as the only standout weakness of a 21 year old that shouldn’t be too big an issue.

No doubt that he's quite good on the ball, likes to dribble, gets forward quickly at times to support break-aways, generally plays with a positive focus, etc.  But it has been noticeable so far that his crossing hasn't been great, especially with Benteke to aim at and Andros Townsend cutting inside and leaving a lot of space for overlap.  Perhaps he can improve but considering he is a converted winger he should already have had plenty of practice.

By contrast, Pereira and Chilwell offer much more dangerous final balls and pose more attacking threat, even though they don't have an aerially dominant striker to aim for. 

Ferland Mendy completes transfer to Real Madrid for €48m. That probably means one of Marcelo or Reguilon will be moved on - my money is on the latter being sold/sent out on loan since Zidane has preferred Marcelo. That takes Real Madrid's spending up to €317m so far. Perez means business.

Prem fixtures are out. United vs Chelsea opening weekend. Arsenal/Chelsea/Newcastle as Liverpool’s last three games stand out as tough as far as Liverpool goes, it could be worse. 

Do you guys rate Barca’s probable window of Griezmann/De Ligt/De Jong or Madrid’s Militao/Mendy/Hazard/Jovic window more. Clasico should be great next year 

Archived