Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

29 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Do you guys rate Barca’s probable window of Griezmann/De Ligt/De Jong or Madrid’s Militao/Mendy/Hazard/Jovic window more. Clasico should be great next year 

Barcelona getting De Jong is comfortably the best signing of the summer so far in my opinion. They can just slot one player in and he should drastically improve their team.

Hazard, Militao and Mendy are all good players but that a lot of players to fit into the side and Real still need more on top of that really. It’s not that clear that even if they are enough to close the gap to Barca even if they do hit the ground running either.

Full fixtures - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1240976

First game of the PL season is us at home vs Norwich. Not bad.

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Prem fixtures are out. United vs Chelsea opening weekend. Arsenal/Chelsea/Newcastle as Liverpool’s last three games stand out as tough as far as Liverpool goes, it could be worse.

City have it much easier - Bournemouth, Watford , Norwich.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Do you guys rate Barca’s probable window of Griezmann/De Ligt/De Jong or Madrid’s Militao/Mendy/Hazard/Jovic window more. Clasico should be great next year 

Barca's window is better. Griezmann looks fairly certain now after Atleti's CEO confirmed yesterday that there is an agreement with Barca. Apparently Griezmann's release clause goes down in July so that's been the reason for the delay. A top class CF to take over/rotate with Suarez was badly needed. If they land De Ligt as well then they would have addressed the three biggest gaps in the squad.

Real Madrid have had a decent window as well and addressed a couple of problem areas in the squad - CB and CF. They are quite lopsided on the left though with Hazard, Vinicius and Rodrygo - spending €190m (excluding add-ons) on three players who occupy the same position doesn't seem that wise. Even Asensio is much more effective playing off the left. It's especially problematic as Bale looks to be out of favour which would leave them with just Lucas Vazquez on the RW. They will have to hope that Vinicius and/or Rodrygo can be just as effective on the RW as they are on the LW. They'll need another midfielder as well - Pogba, Ndombele or Eriksen are the reported targets with Pogba said to be Zidane's first choice. 

12 hours ago, Raja said:

Apparently he's good though!  

Honestly in itself it's not a bad signing, we know that Championship players necessarily being unready for top-level first team action is a thing of the past (though a gamble), and the principle of buying yoof is good, but if he's gonna be our only forward signing bar potentially a replacement for Lukaku, that ain't great.

Just now, polishgenius said:

Honestly in itself it's not a bad signing, we know that Championship players necessarily being unready for top-level first team action is a thing of the past (though a gamble), and the principle of buying yoof is good, but if he's gonna be our only forward signing bar potentially a replacement for Lukaku, that ain't great.

We should make an offer for Malcom. I bet he's regretting joining Barca. Wasted a year of his career and development. 

6 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Barca. But they still want/have to sell some players. I am not sure about Griezmann actually ending up there. I read a rumour a while ago, about them wanting Neymar back. It's probably just that, a crazy rumour.

It went like this. Dembele, Coutinho and another player (I can't remember who the third one was), are going to PSG, in exchange for Neymar. Barca is not particularly happy with their former marque signings Coutinho and Dembele, and Neymar has that flair of CL titles past. Personally, I wouldn't give up those players for an injury prone Neymar. Don't get me wrong Neymar is still a world class forward, when fit. But the big thing is his fitness. Anyway, that would end the need for Griezmann at Barca and open up the first choice striker option at PSG.

6 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Barca. But they still want/have to sell some players. I am not sure about Griezmann actually ending up there. I read a rumour a while ago, about them wanting Neymar back. It's probably just that, a crazy rumour.

It went like this. Dembele, Coutinho and another player (I can't remember who the third one was), are going to PSG, in exchange for Neymar. Barca is not particularly happy with their former marque signings Coutinho and Dembele, and Neymar has that flair of CL titles past. Personally, I wouldn't give up those players for an injury prone Neymar. Don't get me wrong Neymar is still a world class forward, when fit. But the big thing is his fitness. Anyway, that would end the need for Griezmann at Barca and open up the first choice striker option at PSG.

Rakitic! The third name I couldn't recall was Rakitic.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

If Pogba goes to Juve it will be the stupidest thing ever. Utd - Juve - Utd - Juve. Has anyone ever done the same in the history of football. Honestly, what a prick.

That's quite a good quiz question. Part of Claudio Pizzaro's club career was similar:

1999-2001: Werder Bremen 

2001-2007: Bayern Munich

2007-2009: Chelsea

2008-2009: Werder Bremen (Loan)

2009-2012: Werder Bremen

2012-2015: Bayern Munich

2015-2017: Werder Bremen

2017-2018: FC Köln

2018-Present: Werder Bremen

8 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

The trouble is, for you to sign more forwards, the club will probably need to write off the likes of Martial and Sanchez, and I don't see that happening.

Well, not Martial anyway, and Sanchez isn't going anywhere on those wages.

Sanchez is so bad that at this stage regardless of if we can actually get rid of him we need a replacement anyway.

I should have been a bit more specific though and said attacking signings rather than forward,  coz what we're still really desperate for is a bit of creativity. If Pogba does leave our best established creative player would be Luke Shaw, which is an insane state of affairs.

On 6/12/2019 at 6:47 PM, Raja said:

Apparently he's good though! 

Ugh, I wish football was back already. Going to be a long summer. I need to start watching the women's WC 

I have very little desire to watch Arsenal play right now.

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

If Pogba goes to Juve it will be the stupidest thing ever. Utd - Juve - Utd - Juve. Has anyone ever done the same in the history of football. Honestly, what a prick.

Modeste. He is back in Köln after his money move to China.

19 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Modeste. He is back in Köln after his money move to China.

That won't be the same unless he moves back to China again though. Lots of players have made a move and then returned to the club they came from.

Just now, polishgenius said:

That won't be the same unless he moves back to China again though. Lots of players have made a move and then returned to the club they came from.

Ah, right, that's one move short. I admit I kinda forgot/ignored, that Pogba started out at United, mainly because he really didn't get any playing time back then.

How about Alex Meier, then.

H$V

St. Pauli.

H$V

Frankfurt

St. Pauli

I admit it does not have that same merc vibe since he played at Frankfurt for such a long time.

Modeste didn’t come from China before his first spell at Köln.

Speaking of former Effzeh strikers, Claudio Pizarro since moving to Europe: Bremen - Bayern - Chelsea - Bremen - Bayern - Bremen - Köln - Bremen

Archived