Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

12 hours ago, Rorshach said:

For those keeping track (no-one, I know), it seems Everton are reading my posts. 

Williams released. Jags released. Baines signing a one-year extention. 

Plus whispers that a deal with Barca over Gomes is about to be finalized. Me mentioning it now will jinx it, however, and I'm sorry for that. 

Now, what we need is to threaten Chelsea with pox unless they sell us Zouma, find a couple of cheap world-class players and we are all set for next season!

All very sensible moves. At least someone has some sense. Unlike for instance Mata getting a contract extension at United.

Mata getting an extension is more understandable than giving Young and Jones extensions. Jones especially since he is made of glass and has only managed a little over 200 games in 8 seasons at the club. 

ETA. Real Madrid confirm that Marcos Llorente has joined Atletico Madrid. Reported fee: €40m and no buy back clause.

It’s a surprisingly quiet transfer window for the big PL clubs so far.  I can understand Liverpool and City looking for relatively few complementary additions, but the others seem like they need some new recruits.  Although perhaps Chelsea are just accepting the transfer ban now rather than fighting to defer it, so that takes their Hazard money out of the market.

Arsenal have a reportedly small budget but need to do something about defense and midfield.  Spurs could still use some depth in MF.  United reportedly have a huge budget and lots of gaps to fill, but haven’t been all that decisive yet.  

United have the additional problem, that they don't have the pull they used to have ten years ago. And the players they were linked to simply had other (better) options.

They were linked to Rodri (so was PSG btw), who also has/had the options City and Bayern.

de Ligt? Barca, Bayern, PSG etc. Btw. what's the latest gossip about his destination.

The Rodri links to United were total rubbish. No reliable reporter for United news made mention of it. De Ligt? The latest news from a fairly reliable outlet (RMC Sport) is that Real Madrid are interested. 

I'd say it's been a quite window for premier league clubs so far because the clubs are being quoted outrageous prices. Spurs have been linked with Lo Celso and Ndombele but apparently Betis want in excess of €60m for the former and Aulas is reportedly looking to get €90m for the latter. The only players United have been reliably linked with is Wan Bissaka and Bruno Fernandes. We tabled a bid for De Ligt but later withdrew. There were rumours that we were to bid for Sean Longstaff but reliable journos for Newcastle have said that the club have received no contact for the player.

James Maddison has tabled a bid to join us so there's that.

But anyway Prem clubs are going to have to get used to being quoted insane prices. When the TV income is that insane it's gonna happen. There's essentially two markets in world football now- the one aimed at English teams and the one not.

The transfer window has just started though. It's been what, 20 days? Hardly surprising, for reference, we hadn't signed anyone this time last year. Don't think we made a signing till the first week of July. 

Fernando Torres has announced his retirement. It was pretty irritating that he left Liverpool to go to a Premier League rival and it's a bit of shame how much injuries hobbled him for a lot of his career but he was so, so good those first couple of years after he came to Liverpool and I've always had a bit of a soft spot for him. Suarez and Salah have probably been better all round players but Torres was the striker who inspired the most confidence in me that a goal was coming given a half chance, every time he got the ball anywhere near the box it just felt like we were going to score.

Rumours of Atletico Madrid signing Joao Felix as a replacement for Griezmann are starting to gather some steam. Benfica are reportedly in no mood to negotiate so Atleti would have to trigger his release clause which is set at €120m. 

To go back to United's recruitment woes.

Apparently they also talked to Hummels and offered him 10m € a year (base salary), he still wanted to re-join Dortmund however.

Latest de Ligt Rumour. He is on his way to Juve.

The issue Liverpool might have with getting Firpo is that Betis will probably not negotiate for a fee below his release clause which is around €50m. Might be considered too much for a backup. 

Another thing is that the Firpo rumour is dodgy at best. No reliable Liverpool journo reported on it. I only saw it mentioned in The Guardian but that article read like an opinion piece. Andy Hunter covers Liverpool for The Guardian but he didn't write the article and I'm sure he'd have mentioned something if there was any truth to it. 

35 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Tierney is supposed to be quite good as an attacking LB.  He was a rumored option  to replace Moreno but Liverpool haven’t done anything concrete, so perhaps not.  15m seems cheap for him though.

£15m is too little. I think Celtic will sell for around £25m though which is still a very reasonable price for Tierney. 

3 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Rumours of Atletico Madrid signing Joao Felix as a replacement for Griezmann are starting to gather some steam. Benfica are reportedly in no mood to negotiate so Atleti would have to trigger his release clause which is set at €120m. 

That's a hell of a lot of money for a young player with less than 50 senior games under his belt, most of them against fairly low level opposition in the Portuguese league. It's not like he was tearing it up in the latter rounds of the Champions League like Mbappe did.

Really looking forward to watching this. As as kid, i watched every Napoli game while Maradona played for them.One of my childhood football heroes (along with Rush and Baggio). :)

Directed by Asif Kapadia.From the BAFTA and Academy Award-winning team behind AMY and SENNA, the film is constructed from over 500 hours of never-before-seen footage from Maradona’s personal archive with the full support of the man himself.

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

I tried watching some Copa America today, in Spanish, while I was at the gym.  But it was a dreary, desultory game — so bad that I switched over to baseball instead.

It is simply impossible, that any game of football could be that dreary and dull, that one switches over to baseball. Watching the youtube video to watch paint dry, arguably, watching Uranium turn into lead, possibly. But Baseball? There are limits.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

It is simply impossible, that any game of football could be that dreary and dull, that one switches over to baseball. Watching the youtube video to watch paint dry, arguably, watching Uranium turn into lead, possibly. But Baseball? There are limits.

^A gentleman and a scholar

Archived