Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

Damn United. Spare a thought thought for the poor gooners fans around. They only have 45m in total, and you are willing to throw 70-80m at Leicester for Maguire. :lol:

On a general note, am I the only one who finds it annoying, when players pen a new long term contract, just to be upset when they don't get transfered the next year?

Anyway, the Rabiot transfer being now official, means that Juve will have the cash to spend on de Ligt. If they hadn't gotten Rabiot on a free, they might have been tempted to spend the de Jong cash on Pogba. So for Paulie it's now Manchester or Madrid (if they were to find more cash and were indeed interested).

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Damn United. Spare a thought thought for the poor gooners fans around. They only have 45m in total, and you are willing to throw 70-80m at Leicester for Maguire. :lol:

This is United in a nutshell. We've got more money than sense. Maguire also gets massively overrated by the English media because he is English - he's not half as good as VVD even on his best day. It's a similar thing with Pickford - Ederson's distribution is what the English media imagine Pickford's is. 

12 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

So for Paulie it's now Manchester or Madrid (if they were to find more cash and were indeed interested).

Reliable Madrid journos (Josep Pedrerol and Jose Luis Sanchez) have both reported previously that Zidane has made Pogba a priority signing and isn't interested in other midfielders i.e. Eriksen. History shows that it will only be a matter of time before Pogba is a Madrid player - the two Spanish giants rarely ever fail to land a priority target. 

Ndombele's in London for a medical with Spurs apparently. So presumably that's pretty much a done deal barring any last minute Fekir like scenarios.

This is a bit of an odd transfer window for Liverpool fans with Liverpool being pretty clear they don't plan to make any big signings. Can't we just have some wild speculation that we're going to get Reus to get us through the summer?

1 minute ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Need some fullback rumours now that Moreno heading off is confirmed.

There were rumours about Junior Firpo but that seems to have died down. Apparently Barca want him as well. The Nicolas Pepe rumors seem to have disappeared as well. 

30 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Reliable Madrid journos (Josep Pedrerol and Jose Luis Sanchez) have both reported previously that Zidane has made Pogba a priority signing and isn't interested in other midfielders i.e. Eriksen. History shows that it will only be a matter of time before Pogba is a Madrid player - the two Spanish giants rarely ever fail to land a priority target. 

AFAIK Jovic was Zidane's priority target for the summer. And they got him, for quite a hefty fee. Then they also spent heavily to get Hazard.

They spent around 300m € in total this window

Hazard (100m), Jovic (60m), Militao and Mendy (~50m each), and Rodrygo (~45m)

They also sold some players for around 75m.

Kovacic (~45m) and Llorente (~30m).

So I am not sure, they can throw 100m or so at United for Pogba before they managed to offload some more players. James (Napoli) and Bale (any sucker who takes him off their books), are the ones they are most eager to sell. Isco and Asensio are also rumoredly out of favour there. With Isco there are some wonky rumours involving a player swap with Coutinho, or City eyeing him as a possible Silva replacement. The latter I believe is nonsense, as I think that's going to be Foden and they have signed Rodri already.

Anyway, as long as they don't own some more ground to be redesignated for Real Estate Development in Madrid I don't think they have atm the cash to sign him. I mean let's be real here, Pogba is good, but he is no Harry Maguire. :leaving:

41 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

There were rumours about Junior Firpo but that seems to have died down. Apparently Barca want him as well. The Nicolas Pepe rumors seem to have disappeared as well. 

Firpo's never seemed particularly likely at the prices being talked about. Robertson's arguably the best left back in Europe at the moment and he's only 25, spending a significant amount on his back up doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think the plan will be to get a relatively cheap young player they think they can develop over the next couple of seasons.

Liverpool came out and flat out denied being interested in Pepe so that's not happening.

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

AFAIK Jovic was Zidane's priority target for the summer. And they got him, for quite a hefty fee. Then they also spent heavily to get Hazard.

They spent around 300m € in total this window

Hazard (100m), Jovic (60m), Militao and Mendy (~50m each), and Rodrygo (~45m)

They also sold some players for around 75m.

Kovacic (~45m) and Llorente (~30m).

So I am not sure, they can throw 100m or so at United for Pogba before they managed to offload some more players. James (Napoli) and Bale (any sucker who takes him off their books), are the ones they are most eager to sell. Isco and Asensio are also rumoredly out of favour there. With Isco there are some wonky rumours involving a player swap with Coutinho, or City eyeing him as a possible Silva replacement. The latter I believe is nonsense, as I think that's going to be Foden and they have signed Rodri already.

Anyway, as long as they don't own some more ground to be redesignated for Real Estate Development in Madrid I don't think they have atm the cash to sign him. I mean let's be real here, Pogba is good, but he is no Harry Maguire. :leaving:

Real Madrid should have a very big budget though. IIRC the five seasons from 2014/2015 to 2018/2019, they have a net spend on transfers of around €20m while they've been consistently either first or second in terms of revenue. 

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Firpo's never seemed particularly likely at the prices being talked about. Robertson's arguably the best left back in Europe at the moment and he's only 25, spending a significant amount on his back up doesn't make a lot of sense. You'd think the plan will be to get a relatively cheap young player they think they can develop over the next couple of seasons.

Liverpool came out and flat out denied being interested in Pepe so that's not happening.

I recall Joyce mentioning about a month ago that Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City was being looked at but there's been no news since then.

9 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I recall Joyce mentioning about a month ago that Lloyd Kelly from Bristol City was being looked at but there's been no news since then.

Yeah, he probably would have been a good option but he's gone to Bournemouth.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the big three in Spain (Atletico, Barca, and Real) in debt?

They are in somewhat better shape than the other two iirc, but they are still having outstanding loans of 400m or so.

Debt doesn't necessarily hamper spending power though. Maybe for Atleti but not for Barca or Real Madrid with the amount of revenue those clubs generate. Real Madrid is pulling in €750m. Since FFP is checked over the last three years, assuming a €400m net spend this season, Real Madrid would still only have a net spend of €340m on transfers over three seasons. With their revenues there shouldn't be any issues with FFP.

Yes, but I suspect the debt might stop them from paying another 100m in fees and bonus and wages on top of that, for this window at least. Unless they get a few players off their pay roll first.

Bale and his big contract is priority one. Then comes James, then it's persumably Isco and Asensio (less urgent).

With James they are in advanced talks with Napoli that's 30-40m €. There just not any takers for Bale. Bayern has been linked by some less credible sources, but that's probably more wishful thinking on Madrid's part. Anyway, maybe Madrid will make a move on Pogba once the James to Napoli deal is done.

Yeah, I think 

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Yes, but I suspect the debt might stop them from paying another 100m in fees and bonus and wages on top of that, for this window at least. Unless they get a few players off their pay roll first.

Bale and his big contract is priority one. Then comes James, then it's persumably Isco and Asensio (less urgent).

With James they are in advanced talks with Napoli that's 30-40m €. There just not any takers for Bale. Bayern has been linked by some less credible sources, but that's probably more wishful thinking on Madrid's part. Anyway, maybe Madrid will make a move on Pogba once the James to Napoli deal is done.

Yeah, I think managing the wage bill is a bigger concern than transfer expenditure for Real Madrid. Wouldn't be surprised if Perez wants to include Bale in a deal for Pogba. Woodward is just dumb enough to go for it too. Hopefully Bale refuses. 

John Percy (very reliable for the midland clubs) reported that Leicester want at least £90m for Maguire. Hopefully United just move on as that is a totally unreasonable asking price. Also reporting that Leicester are set to complete the signing of Ayoze Perez in the next few days - fee expected to be around £30m. 

10 hours ago, Consigliere said:

John Percy (very reliable for the midland clubs) reported that Leicester want at least £90m for Maguire. Hopefully United just move on as that is a totally unreasonable asking price. Also reporting that Leicester are set to complete the signing of Ayoze Perez in the next few days - fee expected to be around £30m. 

Although I didn't want to be taken over by a middle east consortium, at least it let me pretend that at some point in the future we might compete.  Now we have probably no takeover, no Rafa, and Perez is off to Leicester.

Archived