Football: 'Let's talk about six, baby'

AncalagonTheBlack

Like most others, I was hoping the rumored take-over would keep Rafa at Newcastle and see them re-emerge as a top team.  I cannot blame him though for losing faith in Ashley if it looks at all uncertain whether the take-over will be completed.  OTOH if the take-over is going ahead and the new owners instead want a shinier, higher profile manager instead, then that will be their loss.  

It’s very possible that Rafa already committed himself to a new club midway through last season when it was clear that his contract would run down and Ashley would not deliver on financial promises for squad building.

Best of luck to him.  He’s a very good manager and an even better person.

1 hour ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s very possible that Rafa already committed himself to a new club midway through last season when it was clear that his contract would run down and Ashley would not deliver on financial promises for squad building.

He wouldn't have waited that long to announce if that was the case.

One of my United-supporting friends says the fans are buzzing with a rumor that James Maddison will be signed shortly.  In-the-knows and pranksters alike are predicting a medical on Friday.

It made me think that Leicester really deserve some praise for their scouting and development in recent years. Kante and Mahrez were huge signings that propelled them to a title, but since losing them both and Drinkwater to bigger clubs, and seeing several older players decline — Huth, Morgan, Simpson, Fuchs, Okazaki, etc — they initially had a couple of bad signings like Slimani and Musa but overall they’ve done really well to scout Ndidi, Maguire, Pereira, Tielemans and Maddison while developing Chilwell and Choudhury.  They’ve taken a bet on a lot of young, emerging talent and had a pretty good success rate.  They’re the new Southampton it seems, except they’re being raided by Chelsea and City rather than Liverpool.

Where have these Maddison rumours come from? I've not seen anyone reliable report it. 

Maddison is a good player but 1) Leicester would charge a fortune and 2) The signing makes no sense especially after renewing Mata. Lingard plays a similarly role as well.

Maddison would be an expensive but pointless signing that doesn't actually address any of the problem areas in the squad (CB, RB, RW and midfield) and further evidence that the people running United are clueless when it comes to squad building. 

36 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Where have these Maddison rumours come from? I've not seen anyone reliable report it. 

Maddison is a good player but 1) Leicester would charge a fortune and 2) The signing makes no sense especially after renewing Mata. Lingard plays a similarly role as well.

Maddison would be an expensive but pointless signing that doesn't actually address any of the problem areas in the squad (CB, RB, RW and midfield) and further evidence that the people running United are clueless when it comes to squad building. 

People putting 2+2 together I guess. He’s young and English and had a good season in the prem. Seems like an easy target for a newspaper rumour. 

The Telegraph reporting that we are getting Sepp van den Berg.

Liverpool have won the race to sign Dutch teenager Sepp van den Berg, with the defender due to undergo a medical on Wednesday ahead of a £1.79million move.

Bayern Munich and Ajax were both desperate to sign Van Den Berg, but Liverpool have convinced the Holland under-19 international to move to Anfield from PEC Zwolle.

Van Den Berg played 16 first-team Eredivisie games for Zwolle last season and is considered one of the brightest young prospects in Dutch football.

Neymar back to Barca is rumoredly a done deal, with Neymar accepting a salary cut.

Also, nobody mentioned Juve's transfer window. I think they could have one of the strongest in Europe. Assuming Rabiot and de Ligt really go there.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

He might not adress a specific position per se but he's a much better creator than anyone we have bar Pogba. We'd still need another out-and-out midfielder, for sure, but he'd definitely be giving us something we don't have.

Whether it's actually plausible fuck knows. It seems mostly to be based on him seemingly supporting us.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

He might not adress a specific position per se but he's a much better creator than anyone we have bar Pogba. We'd still need another out-and-out midfielder, for sure, but he'd definitely be giving us something we don't have.

Whether it's actually plausible fuck knows. It seems mostly to be based on him seemingly supporting us.

I'd much rather we try for Tielemans - he'd cost much less as well. Maddison is not some exceptional player so it's really not worth getting rinsed for him. We will need more than one midfielder with both Fellaini and Herrera gone and Pogba possibly on his way out too.

ETA. and Inter's sporting director has given an interview confirming that they are trying to sign Lukaku. Also claims that Lukaku wants to leave United.

Archived