MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

Yeah Kiley McDaniel has been hyping up Dominguez - and reporting he'll sign with the Yankees - since, like, January.  He already has a pretty great career in my videogame.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Sanchez's bat flip in the 10th today wins the bat flip game.

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I concur, and what a bomb. I’m surprised they didn’t just put him on there.

It has set the standard by which all future bat flips must be judged.

9 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

7.1 they're saying. Crazy stuff. Stay safe!

It hit way out east of here, thankfully in a place with low population density. Here in Long Beach it was just about a minute of gentle rolling.

Marisnick-Lucroy collision.

Perfectly legal play a generation ago.  Dead wrong today.  Lucroy left him a lane and Marisnick didn't take it and instead lowered the shoulder and blew him up.

Suspension should be coming and will be well-deserved.

23 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Marisnick-Lucroy collision.

Perfectly legal play a generation ago.  Dead wrong today.  Lucroy left him a lane and Marisnick didn't take it and instead lowered the shoulder and blew him up.

Suspension should be coming and will be well-deserved.

It was a rough collision to watch but his foot was pretty much on the line and the when the throw came in it looked like it pulled Lucroy into Marisnick's path.  I agree he'll probably face some sort of discipline for it.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It was a rough collision to watch but his foot was pretty much on the line and the when the throw came in it looked like it pulled Lucroy into Marisnick's path.  I agree he'll probably face some sort of discipline for it.

That is where Lucroy's foot is SUPPOSED to be.  He's supposed to leave a path to the plate and the runner is supposed to take that path to the plate.  Being "pretty much on the line" leaves the entire other half of the line for Marisnick's use.

Marisnick's left foot is at least a foot and a half on the same side of the line as Lucroy in the step before contact occurs.  You can even see the footprint being created.

And my take is that Marisnick swerved into Lucroy with his last step.  And I suspect the commissioner's office will see it the same way.  Expect a significant suspension.

6 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

That is where Lucroy's foot is SUPPOSED to be.  He's supposed to leave a path to the plate and the runner is supposed to take that path to the plate.  Being "pretty much on the line" leaves the entire other half of the line for Marisnick's use.

Marisnick's left foot is at least a foot and a half on the same side of the line as Lucroy in the step before contact occurs.  You can even see the footprint being created.

And my take is that Marisnick swerved into Lucroy with his last step.  And I suspect the commissioner's office will see it the same way.  Expect a significant suspension.

Is his foot supposed to be there before he has the ball?  And what happens when the throw pulls him into the path of the runner? It looked like when the ball comes in he steps over that line and Marisnick had to change course in anticipation  of Lucroy receiving the ball and he guessed really wrong. 

They probably will and I expect an adjustment to the rule next season.  

The guidance the umpires and league offered the players is that the catcher has to leave a path and the runner has to take the path.

Lucroy set up on one side of the line.  Marisnick came barrelling down that same side.  It's actually an open and shut case.

The catcher isn't blocking the plate.  He has left a direct path and the runner is obligated to take it.

Edited to add:  Had Marisnick been on the other side of the foul line and the throw dragged Lucroy into his path, then he'd be fine.  But he wasn't, it didn't and he isn't.

Archived