MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

I didn’t watch the whole thing, but didn’t Vlad’s kid break a ton of records? Seems odd that he shouldn’t been seen as the winner. I just think it would be better if they all got the same number of hittable pitches rather than a guy winning cause he got 10-20 more hacks at it.

A lot of it is based on seeding now.  Vlad hit, like, 60 more homers than Judge did two years ago.  But that's largely cuz Judge was a 2 seed while Vlad was the 8 seed - and of course because Joc Pederson is a fucking machine (and because yeah they were cheating, and because the balls are even more juiced.  It was fairly ludicrous, if anyone hit a solid fly ball that wasn't skied, it was out last night).  Anyway, I'd take Judge over Vlad Jr. in a head to head, although I happily do not expect Judge to participate in another Derby.  Wouldn't take anyone else over Vlad though.

Definitely agree on not missing Berman.  A Chris Berman once stole an awesome bubbler I had, the sonofabitch.  On Verlander, obviously he's right - we all know it.  And he's gained enough cachet to say it out loud.  I don't think he was blaming his recent downturn on the ball specifically, just saying what everyone in the room was thinking.

5 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Nope. I don't miss him but I am in the minority. 

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Definitely agree on not missing Berman.  A Chris Berman once stole an awesome bubbler I had, the sonofabitch.  On Verlander, obviously he's right - we all know it.  And he's gained enough cachet to say it out loud.  I don't think he was blaming his recent downturn on the ball specifically, just saying what everyone in the room was thinking.

I hated Berman.

Yeah, I actually respect Verlander more for ripping into everything going on. He left no stone unturned on that front. Manfred must be fucking sour(or not). It is also surprising to find out he has given up 26 homers so far. Damn.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Are you saying a d-bag stole your bong? We need details.

9 hours ago, Triskele said:

Just catching up on PBS news hour tonight and heard that on average 1,750 fans are injured per year at games by balls and flying broken bats.  Insane.  I think that Realsports episode from a few years ago touched on this and how little the ESPN or local broadcasts ever let you see this.  

And when a 79 year old woman was killed at Dodger Stadium last year it was after they'd already extended the nets a bit.  

It's baffling to me how many fans grouse about the possibility of extending the nets. It's not as if it affects visibility to any measurable degree (the eyes and brain adjust pretty quickly). This is not even something that should be up for debate. It's a very easy fix.

Also has little or nothing to do with smartphones and people not paying attention. A line drive traveling 100+ mph is not easy to dodge even if one is paying full attention and has elite reflexes. It's the dumbest of dumb arguments. 

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

It's baffling to me how many fans grouse about the possibility of extending the nets. It's not as if it affects visibility to any measurable degree (the eyes and brain adjust pretty quickly). This is not even something that should be up for debate. It's a very easy fix.

Also has little or nothing to do with smartphones and people not paying attention. A line drive traveling 100+ mph is not easy to dodge even if one is paying full attention and has elite reflexes. It's the dumbest of dumb arguments. 

During batting practice before game one of the ALCS in 2009 I almost got blasted with a foul ball the passed right between my head and the woman sitting next to me. They had removable netting up for batting practice but it was just past that. It was scary as hell. They need to find a way to extend it all the way down the line.

On 7/9/2019 at 5:23 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Are you saying a d-bag stole your bong? We need details.

Sorry, forgot about this.  Definitely way off topic, but yeah it was certainly a huge d-bag.  It was my freshman year in college and I didn't realize everybody went home for Fall Break (Columbus day), so I took the train to White Plains with a buddy of mine and stayed with him.  Met all his friends one night and one of them was named Chris Berman.  We all got high in my friend's garage and Berman really wanted to buy my bubbler off me.  Kept on offering me more and more money over a couple days of hanging out, and I kept turning him down.  Long story short, the night before it was time to go back to school my bubbler mysteriously disappeared.  My friend claimed ignorance for awhile, but after a week or so we got drunk enough where he admitted that yeah, Berman stole it.

Re: nets - it's completely ridiculous that this hasn't been instituted yet.  There is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be implemented, and I hope the owners/commissioners office knows every time someone gets injured by a foul that could have so easily been prevented, it's on their conscience.

Archived