MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

My guy Paul DeJong goes for three homers and a double (and a HBP) tonight. Cardinals are hot right now - what a crazy ass season. I went to a game a week ago, we lost a nailbiter in the 9th, and I felt like we should sell off a vet or two, re-tool. There's zero chance that happens now, so I wonder if they'll be able to shore up some of the rickety walls. 

The deadline could be rather dull, I'd say, with the amount of teams still on a buy/sell bubble. 

Alex Reyes broke his pinky literally hitting a wall earlier this year, and is now rehabbing some pectoral injury on the 60 day injured list.

One of the sadder bits if the last decade as a big fan of developmental players. He was an absurdly dominant prospect for a hot second in between years of injury. I had high hopes he could pull a Joel Embiid and come back as a real force for the Cards. Maybe it's still in the cards but I feel like he is never even going to be a Jaime Garcia, putting up excellent pitching in brief stints between major injuries. 

A few news items out of New York:

The Metropolitans are apparently "fully intent" on trading Noah Syndergaard. Asking price is reported to be something like a top 30 prospect and two or three other solid prospects. Though there seems to be some doubt that the Wilpons will sign off on any deal that doesn't bring back a ridiculous haul.

Troy Tulowitzki has official retired. What a bummer for him. When healthy dude was a beast, but he just couldn't stay on the field. 

I'll believe the Mets will trade Thor when I see it.  I can't imagine anyone will offer them a package that's acceptable to ownership.

And yeah, too bad about Tulo.  Surprised he didn't ask the Yanks for his release so he could retire with the Rockies.

If the ESPN show I was listening to is correct (and that’s a big if because it’s Stugotz),  last night was history making. For the first time in MLB history, a player hit three homeruns on three consecutive days.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'll believe the Mets will trade Thor when I see it.  I can't imagine anyone will offer them a package that's acceptable to ownership.

And yeah, too bad about Tulo.  Surprised he didn't ask the Yanks for his release so he could retire with the Rockies.

I fear the Twins will be the team to make a ridiculous offer. We’ve got 7th and 11th prospects plus a top 50 pitcher who has been tearing it up (5-0, sub 2.00 ERA). And on top of that, we have a ton of other prospects the Mets might like. We badly need an ace, but we’re going to have to give up too much for a two year rental.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I fear the Twins will be the team to make a ridiculous offer. We’ve got 7th and 11th prospects plus a top 50 pitcher who has been tearing it up (5-0, sub 2.00 ERA). And on top of that, we have a ton of other prospects the Mets might like. We badly need an ace, but we’re going to have to give up too much for a two year rental.

Thor's got 2 years of club control beyond this season. He's not a rental. But rest easy, the Mets appear to now be asking for an MLB ready arm to be part of the package, and I guess the Twinkies don't got one of those. Or at least not one as good as the Padres, Dodgers, Braves, and Yanks can offer.

12 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

If your walk-up song is Baby Shark your contract should be voided immediately. 

This begs the question, what would your walk-up song be?

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Holy shit, WTF.  Was there an era before Jagged Little Pill?  This is some serious Janet/Paula stuff. 

Yup! This was the basis for Robin Sparkles and I love that Alanis 1.0 is this secret only Canadians seem to know. We also grew up like 2 miles from each other, though she's a few years younger than me.

22 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

If the ESPN show I was listening to is correct (and that’s a big if because it’s Stugotz),  last night was history making. For the first time in MLB history, a player hit three homeruns on three consecutive days.

Four consecutive days now, as Mookie Betts hit three last night.

Archived