MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

My mighty Redbirds pulled off a great come from behind victory today. I feel that if only we had a pitcher half as good as God-Emperor Ryu we would be a force to be reckoned with.

Jesus, how many times do the Yanks get to play the O's this year? Aren't you only supposed to play in-division teams 19 times per season? It feels like the Yanks have played somewhere in the realm of 100 games against the O's this year, and that's just unfair.

2 hours ago, Trisky said:

Jesus, how many times do the Yanks get to play the O's this year? Aren't you only supposed to play in-division teams 19 times per season? It feels like the Yanks have played somewhere in the realm of 100 games against the O's this year, and that's just unfair.

16-2 baby, last game tomorrow!  Gotta figure Torres mashes a couple and breaks Gehrig's record.  After that they got a tough couple weeks.  4 games with Cleveland, a day off, and then 9 days in a row between the A's, the M's, and your Dodgers on a west coast trip.  Then when they get back another series with the A's.  After that, though, the schedule looks pretty lax.

Just woke up in an ape costume with a fucking Smash Mouth song running through my head. Strange things are afoot at the Misc. Forums. Anyway, how 'bout them Dodgers? Smashed six dongers against the Marlins last night. I know it's the Marlins, but still.

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Okay Yankees, it's time for you to sweep Cleveland!!! Help the Twins for once in your miserable existence!!!

By "miserable" you mean the most storied franchise in the history of American sports, right?

Boy oh boy is the NL Central a dreary, mosquito-filled festering swamp of disappointment. Apologies for the rant, but I can't only complain about my Cardinals looking like the worst "First Place" team in the league.

The Pirates thought they might compete and are a complete disaster. Lucky for them they don't have any really terrible contracts, and their farm system is merely quite mediocre - an improvement on the three top teams' farms. 

The Reds were buyers at the deadline and have some exciting youth movement going on. I don't think they're going to catch anyone, but they might be OK next year.

The Cardinals have looked really good two times - the first thirty games then a nice stretch in July. Other than that they have trouble getting a run over the plate more than once every three innings or so. We extended Molina and Carpenter, both grandfathered in to unnecessary extensions because Its The Cardinals reasons. These are two of my favorite guys, I've followed both since they were in MiLB. And if they both retired tomorrow, I'd be in line to offer my services to drive their truck in their parades. Both are so atrocious at the plate that they're costing us chances every time they start, on top of 20 million salaries. It's a bummer. Our farm system has two great hitters and a bunch of Mehhhhh.

The Brewers sound great if you read off names, but have as many underperformers as the Cardinals or Cubs. Their farm system has one stud and a whole lot of long-shots or disappointments after. Plus, they're the Brewers and they really should get back to fourth or fifth place where they belong.

You might think the Cubs would be 10 or 15 games up by now with the matching roller-coaster seasons their two main competitors have had. But they're right there as well, looking very scary sometimes, then showcasing their unreliable bullpen, underwhelming starters, and unbalanced lineup for disasters like last night's 9th inning meltdown. That's like the first damn time in my life I've been happy for Bryce Harper, for fuck sake. They have the worst farm system in the division, which is impressive with how lackluster the Cards and Brewers are.

The Dodgers, Braves, and even bizarrely hot Mets all look like they'd wallop the division winner here. This ain't 2014, and we might see some major FO or coaching changes if everyone continues to fall over eachother to try to 'win'.

16 hours ago, DMC said:

By "miserable" you mean the most storied franchise in the history of American sports, right?

They sure weren’t storied last night. Both our teams suffer from the same problem. We can mash, but our pitchers aren’t trustworthy. That’s why I don’t think either team can win the ALCS.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Both our teams suffer from the same problem. We can mash, but our pitchers aren’t trustworthy. That’s why I don’t think either team can win the ALCS.

Meh, we'll see.  If almost all the pitchers (except Green) the Yanks used last night are even on the postseason roster, then yeah.  But if they actually do get Sevy and Betances back, they got enough to win.  Dunno about the Twins, but the Yanks are gonna rely on the pen in the postseason, and it's pretty damn good.

Archived