MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

Listen, you guys, I completely bagged on the NL Central a few weeks ago, and I stand by it. 

That said, hey my Cardinals have suddenly won a whole bunch of games lately, and we are 2 wins into this wild 5 games in three days stretch. Nice 9th inning comeback win for the home crowd on a double header. 

The Dodgers are a class above anyone else in the NL. They'll stomp their way into the Series against whichever two of the insane AL juggernauts win the ALCS game seven. Unless of course you have to face the Cardinals, in which case you'll certainly lose, because we've been taking your lunch money for awhile now. Just saying. 

On 8/30/2019 at 5:57 PM, Tywin et al. said:

I really hate that they make those details public. Nobody needs to know he went out like that.

If you mean the part where he choked on his vomit, sure. If you mean the part where he died due to overdose, accidental or otherwise, I disagree. Particularly if he was being supplied or assisted by a member of the Angels staff.

I just turned on MLB Network and see Bellinger hit a game-tying bomb off a lefty. The best part is Lovullo waiting to go out and make the change until Clay was officially announced as the next batter... as if LA would play the matchup and pinch hit there.

Awesome Yankees win today, and Happ pitched good. 

That was quite the cocktail that Skaggs had the night of. Fentanyl is fucking hell, and mixing it with alcohol, or anything, is just so insanely dangerous. Damn.

6 hours ago, Triskele said:

They tell me this Verlander guy is pretty good.  

People in this forum were making unfounded claims last year that he must be using peds. I think he's just a HOF talent that takes amazing care of himself. A consummate professional.

That's his 3rd, should be his 4th. Because he lost a previous no hitter on a blown 9th inning umpire call I'm told.

My mighty Cards are really sticking it to the Vile lately!

...oh wait, I'm not that ape anymore.

Did you guys see Bellinger crush that baseball today? We needed that win after the last few days.

You know how we all have that underdog guy that played for your team at some point that we still consider an all-time favorite? The type of guy that if you mention their name to another fan, they'll say "Oh yeah, that guy! He was... ok?" And you then explain just how awesome he was for whatever reason?

For me as a Cards fan, that guy was Chris Duncan. Just a big lug of a man who made the bat look like a whiffle ball bat when he held it. Swung really hard every time, usually missed, but walloped it if he connected. Played, um, serviceable defense at best. Had a magnetic off-field personality which he later parlayed into a short career in local radio. He died yesterday at 38 from brain cancer. I'm really sad today.

My first trip ever to Busch III in 2006 was with my mom - who is not a baseball person in the least. But it was a wonderful day, we had seats up in the second level on the right field side, but only a few seats up - it was a great view of the new stadium. Mom was politely letting me talk my butt off about that team - we were super, super good in 2004 and 2005 and I was confident about the year. So when we pinch hit for our pitcher (Jeff Suppan, I found the specific game), up came my boy Chris. I was super excited, having washed him rake in 2005 AAA. Babbled on about how strong he was and told Mom he'd probably hit his 3rd career homer right there. Sure enough, he uncorked one. I was probably the second most excited person in the entire stadium behind Chris (okay, third behind his dad Dave Duncan, our pitching coach). It is one of my clearest baseball memories (there's a crisp, refreshing reason for that). He went on to surprisingly mash 20 something homers that year. He was really bad for us in the playoffs, but did hit a huge homer in the NLCS that had me shouting hoarse at the bar. Then he was in a hilarious photograph of him humping the WS trophy while being doused in beer.

Pardon my ramble. Fuck cancer. Yet another champion of a player and person taken too early. 

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I wonder what the official reason is? It's not like This is a new, after winning in 2011 they followed that up with a last place finish.

Yeah.  I mean, I've thought Dombrowski was shit for decades, but I have to admit this seems like a dickish move on the Red Sox's part.  If you wanna move on, I agree, but at least let him have the dignity of finishing out the season.  Dude just won you a Series.  He acquired Kimbrel, Sale, and signed Martinez.  And hired Cora which seems to be working out quite well.  He did what you asked.  Did he entirely deplete the farm system and put the team's future in financial hell for the foreseeable future in the process?  Yep, that's why I loved it when they hired Dave Dombrowski.  But that's what they asked for, and he got em the results.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah.  I mean, I've thought Dombrowski was shit for decades, but I have to admit this seems like a dickish move on the Red Sox's part.  If you wanna move on, I agree, but at least let him have the dignity of finishing out the season.  Dude just won you a Series.  He acquired Kimbrel, Sale, and signed Martinez.  And hired Cora which seems to be working out quite well.  He did what you asked.  Did he entirely deplete the farm system and put the team's future in financial hell for the foreseeable future in the process?  Yep, that's why I loved it when they hired Dave Dombrowski.  But that's what they asked for, and he got em the results.

That's it, they went into it knowing how Dombrowski operates. It seems the Yankees and Sox have switched business models. 

2 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

The baseball gods giveth, the baseball gods taketh away.

Yep, but I'll definitely take Sevy looking like he did yesterday in exchange for no more Betances in the playoffs - that's a good deal.  Hopefully Stanton comes back strong the next few days as well.  And even more hopefully, no one gets injured the last ten games.  Of course, I'm almost certain they haven't gone 10 games this season without someone getting injured.  So..hopefully only one player gets (re)injured and he's not too important for the playoffs.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

Yep, but I'll definitely take Sevy looking like he did yesterday in exchange for no more Betances in the playoffs - that's a good deal.  Hopefully Stanton comes back strong the next few days as well.  And even more hopefully, no one gets injured the last ten games.  Of course, I'm almost certain they haven't gone 10 games this season without someone getting injured.  So..hopefully only one player gets (re)injured and he's not too important for the playoffs.

Buck Showalter said something pretty similar on the postgame show. They've so good without Betances so while it would have been nice to have him they don't need him. Shit after these injuries if it were possible I would freeze the entire postseason roster and let minor leaguers finish the season and thaw out the big club when it is time for game one.

56 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Shit after these injuries if it were possible I would freeze the entire postseason roster and let minor leaguers finish the season and thaw out the big club when it is time for game one.

Heh, maybe, although I think Boone's doing a good job still giving people rest while trying to stay competitive for HFA (although the Astros got an even easier remaining ten games than the Yankees.  Still, would be nice to beat out the Dodgers just in case).

I think they could've used Betances.  Basically they got six "starters" with Sevy now, then the top 5 in the bullpen.  After that the last 1-2 spots (depending on if they carry Wade as a PR) are probably gonna go to Cessa and then either Lasagna (who's looked damn good lately), Montgomery (who looks like he's still in rehab mode) or Tarpley as a LOOGY.  It'd be nice to have Betances over any of those four, but yeah it's hardly the end of the world, whereas if Sevy can get to 100% - and last night suggests he's pretty close both in stuff/command and pitch count - that's gonna be a huge upgrade.

Archived