MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Not official yet, but it looks like the Cubs have a 3 yr $43mm deal with Kimbrel 

Jesus, the Sox couldn't have beat that? I thought Kimbrel was looking for five years.

I'm not gonna cry in my beer over missing out on Dallas Keuchel.  And I think it's understandable the Yanks want to wait until closer to the deadline to reevaluate where their rotation is at.

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm not gonna cry in my beer over missing out on Dallas Keuchel.  And I think it's understandable the Yanks want to wait until closer to the deadline to reevaluate where their rotation is at.

I'm preparing for the old "We have Severino coming back from the IL, that is just like acquiring ace." That will be followed but trading for some top quality guys like Lance Lynn and Jaime Garcia, real difference makers. I expect Paxton and CC to be back on the IL at least one more time, and I don't expect a thing from Severino and Monty. I would hate to see Cessa or Green starting games.

Like I said before, there's no ace to acquire - Keuchel certainly isn't one.  I'm sure they'll get some reinforcements, but yeah it's gonna be in the Happ to Lynn range.  I agree both that they're gonna act like Sevy is a big acquisition if he comes back, and that they shouldn't count on him coming back this year.

ETA:  Oh, forgot to mention, I think Chance Adams is earning consideration for being the next guy up - or at least the longman if they do openers again if (when) CC and Paxton return to the DL (hopefully not concurrently).  In his last 5 starts at Scranton he's pitched 31.2 innings and given up 3 ER, 27/6 K/BB.

36 minutes ago, DMC said:

Like I said before, there's no ace to acquire - Keuchel certainly isn't one.  I'm sure they'll get some reinforcements, but yeah it's gonna be in the Happ to Lynn range.  I agree both that they're gonna act like Sevy is a big acquisition if he comes back, and that they shouldn't count on him coming back this year.

ETA:  Oh, forgot to mention, I think Chance Adams is earning consideration for being the next guy up - or at least the longman if they do openers again if (when) CC and Paxton return to the DL (hopefully not concurrently).  In his last 5 starts at Scranton he's pitched 31.2 innings and given up 3 ER, 27/6 K/BB.

Keuchel didn't need to be an ace, as long as he was better than CC and having to use Chad Green as an opener at this point would be helpful. They're going to try and get Sevy back this year and it isn't going to end well. I would rather go with an internal option than a Happ/Lynn quality acquisition. Their window is going to vanish before they manage to develop starting pitchers worth a shit. Because I don't know who if available as a free agent but I don't think it matters honestly, I can't see the FO spending money to get a difference maker.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Keuchel didn't need to be an ace, as long as he was better than CC and having to use Chad Green as an opener at this point would be helpful. They're going to try and get Sevy back this year and it isn't going to end well. I would rather go with an internal option than a Happ/Lynn quality acquisition. Their window is going to vanish before they manage to develop starting pitchers worth a shit. Because I don't know who if available as a free agent but I don't think it matters honestly, I can't see the FO spending money to get a difference maker.

Man, I know Yankee fans have a reputation for being snobby, but this seems rather divorced from reality when they have the fifth best ERA in baseball and their rotation has the eighth best - in spite of missing their best starter all year and two others missing some starts.  Green as an opener with Adams as the long man sounds fine to me for a start or two the next time CC needs a break.  If there are any serious injuries, then yeah I think they'll have to immediately look outside the org for a replacement.  There's also the possibility they get Johnny Lasagna back around July. 

But for the time being I think it's fine to wait and see how the market develops - and how/if their pitchers recover.  Maybe someone pretty close to ace quality - like Stroman - will become available, but none appears to be now.  Would I have signed Keuchel to the deal he signed?  Sure would, but it's not my money.  And it's very likely they get someone of similar quality on the market.  If there's something to complain about, it's still signing Happ rather than Corbin. 

As for their window closing, they're the Yankees.  The window has very rarely been closed in the past 25 years.  And as for the suggestion their gonna push Sevy back and that will lead to a worse injury, I really don't think so.  Especially since they just signed him to an extension.

37 minutes ago, DMC said:

Man, I know Yankee fans have a reputation for being snobby, but this seems rather divorced from reality when they have the fifth best ERA in baseball and their rotation has the eighth best - in spite of missing their best starter all year and two others missing some starts.  Green as an opener with Adams as the long man sounds fine to me for a start or two the next time CC needs a break.  If there are any serious injuries, then yeah I think they'll have to immediately look outside the org for a replacement.  There's also the possibility they get Johnny Lasagna back around July. 

But for the time being I think it's fine to wait and see how the market develops - and how/if their pitchers recover.  Maybe someone pretty close to ace quality - like Stroman - will become available, but none appears to be now.  Would I have signed Keuchel to the deal he signed?  Sure would, but it's not my money.  And it's very likely they get someone of similar quality on the market.  If there's something to complain about, it's still signing Happ rather than Corbin. 

As for their window closing, they're the Yankees.  The window has very rarely been closed in the past 25 years.  And as for the suggestion their gonna push Sevy back and that will lead to a worse injury, I really don't think so.  Especially since they just signed him to an extension.

How much of their early success is luck as far as the starting pitching is concerned? Do you honestly German for example pitching like he did to start the season? He's already reverting to his old form. They always do a bang up job with the pen but this isn't about them.  I would love to have Stroman, don't know if the Jays are going to send him to the Yankees but it would be nice.

Their window is going to close because they're not going to spend the money to add the pieces they lack, this isn't the old regime. Corbin is the perfect example. They didn't want to take the risk on him but they took it on Happ. I'd feel a lot better about their chances with Corbin.

I didn't say it would lead to a worse injury, but what happens if they try and get him back and he aggravates his injuries and requires surgery that could keep him out at the beginning of next season?

15 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

How much of their early success is luck as far as the starting pitching is concerned? Do you honestly German for example pitching like he did to start the season?

German is already slowing down, aye, but those excellent first 55 innings are in the bank.  I don't really care if it was luck or whatever.  On the other end of luck, one could argue Happ's performance should be much better moving forward than what they've gotten - and we've already started to see that too.

20 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I would love to have Stroman, don't know if the Jays are going to send him to the Yankees but it would be nice.

The Jays and Yanks clearly have a good working relationship when it comes to trades, I don't think it's out of the realm.  Anyway, old favorite Mike Axisa broke down possible targets today.  A couple interesting names there that are probably better than Keuchel.  Bauer, obviously.  Mike Minor looks interesting.  Perhaps they become available.

23 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Their window is going to close because they're not going to spend the money to add the pieces they lack, this isn't the old regime. Corbin is the perfect example. They didn't want to take the risk on him but they took it on Happ. I'd feel a lot better about their chances with Corbin.

They're not gonna break the bank when they're already competitive.  That's different than not doing what is needed to stay competitive.  As long as Cashman is there I'm not worried about that.

24 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I didn't say it would lead to a worse injury, but what happens if they try and get him back and he aggravates his injuries and requires surgery that could keep him out at the beginning of next season?

Then he had a high probability of having to have that surgery eventually anyway.

48 minutes ago, DMC said:

German is already slowing down, aye, but those excellent first 55 innings are in the bank.  I don't really care if it was luck or whatever.  On the other end of luck, one could argue Happ's performance should be much better moving forward than what they've gotten - and we've already started to see that too.

The Jays and Yanks clearly have a good working relationship when it comes to trades, I don't think it's out of the realm.  Anyway, old favorite Mike Axisa broke down possible targets today.  A couple interesting names there that are probably better than Keuchel.  Bauer, obviously.  Mike Minor looks interesting.  Perhaps they become available.

They're not gonna break the bank when they're already competitive.  That's different than not doing what is needed to stay competitive.  As long as Cashman is there I'm not worried about that.

Then he had a high probability of having to have that surgery eventually anyway.

Some of the names on that list are intriguing, I don't know why Greinke is included though. And some of these guys are on teams that are still in the hunt for the wild card.  Scherzer is pure fantasy obviously but I would love him. But the Yankees won't take on his money. It's awesome that they're competitive but I'm afraid that they're not going to spend what they need to get then over the hump. Ten years is too long without a trip to the World Series.

20 hours ago, Triskele said:

Has anyone noticed what has happened with the Seattle Mariners this season?  They are currently 26-40, so, fine, sort of a usual record for one of the worst teams in the game.  It's just that they were off to a crazy good start and had one of the best records three weeks in or so, so that means they have been truly and utterly shite since that hot start.  Watch the green turn to red on this page.  

ETA:  Three separate six game losing streaks during the collapse and a four-gamer as well. 

Hey man, we had those two 8-gamers and a 7 game streak in 2006 and still won the Series! I'll talk about that forever. The 2004 team felt like a juggernaut of a team that rolled over in the Series, then the 2006 team were the most up-and-down team I ever remember, and somehow kept winning post-season games.

Also, can't wait for another high 80s wins, third place team! The St Louis Cardinals Front Office: Quit Bitching, We'll Still Sell 3.4 Million Tickets And Hope For A Wild Card Again guys.

19 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Some of the names on that list are intriguing, I don't know why Greinke is included though. And some of these guys are on teams that are still in the hunt for the wild card.  Scherzer is pure fantasy obviously but I would love him. But the Yankees won't take on his money. It's awesome that they're competitive but I'm afraid that they're not going to spend what they need to get then over the hump. Ten years is too long without a trip to the World Series.

Certainly Greinke and Scherzer are not interesting and not plausible, respectively.  As for others still in the hunt, that's what I've been saying (and what Mike point out in the article).  Take Mike Minor.  The Rangers are actually in the hunt right now.  But it's quite possible they'll be looking to sell by the deadline.  Same goes for the Indians.  This is what I meant by letting the market play out.

Anyway, nice return last night for Didi, even if they lost.  Hopefully my worries about him not being ready are indeed entirely unfounded.  Also, Hicks looks like he's fully back now.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Certainly Greinke and Scherzer are not interesting and not plausible, respectively.  As for others still in the hunt, that's what I've been saying (and what Mike point out in the article).  Take Mike Minor.  The Rangers are actually in the hunt right now.  But it's quite possible they'll be looking to sell by the deadline.  Same goes for the Indians.  This is what I meant by letting the market play out.

Anyway, nice return last night for Didi, even if they lost.  Hopefully my worries about him not being ready are indeed entirely unfounded.  Also, Hicks looks like he's fully back now.

I like what I've seen from Didi so far. He looks like he hasn't missed a beat.

Archived