MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

He was probably all excited when he heard he was going to New York until he heard the but...

It may just be the Post, but there's actual reporting on this:

“He was hoping it was the Yankees a little bit,” Earl Stroman told the paper. “He was kind of psyched, maybe hoping to go there. I’m not going to tell you that he wasn’t. If he was to leave Toronto at all. Don’t forget, Marcus loved Toronto, his heart was there. The brass [management] didn’t kind of appreciate him as much as the fans did. The whole country took to him and they took to me.”

Stroman had done all but openly campaign to go to the Yankees, liking social media posts related to the team and being clear that he wanted the chance to pitch for them without coming out and saying it.

Also, I would have given up a hell of a lot more to get Stroman than the two middling pitching prospects the Mets gave him.  It's not only dumbfounding in a typical Mets way, but the Yanks could have offered more.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Also, I would have given up a hell of a lot more to get Stroman than the two middling pitching prospects the Mets gave him.  It's not only dumbfounding in a typical Mets way, but the Yanks could have offered more.

Right, the Mets paid a pretty low price for Stroman. Gotta think that the Yanks would have been willing to top it if given the chance. I've been hearing that that low price might backfire in a way on the Mets though. The Stroman trade sets the market for starting pitching, and might actually have the effect of lowering what teams are willing to pay for Thor. 

Just now, Myshkin said:

The Stroman trade sets the market for starting pitching, and might actually have the effect of lowering what teams are willing to pay for Thor. 

I think this is a good point, but it just underlines why the Mets are gonna Mets-up the entire fucking deadline now.  Why would you trade for Stroman then trade Thor:

1 minute ago, DMC said:

I think this is a good point, but it just underlines why the Mets are gonna Mets-up the entire fucking deadline now.  Why would you trade for Stroman then trade Thor:

I think it is a great plan.  You clean out the fallback options as a way of putting pressure on the main deal.

Just now, Bronn Stone said:

I think it is a great plan.  You clean out the fallback options as a way of putting pressure on the main deal.

Between Bauer, Minor, and Bumgarner I don't think they're really "cleaning out" the options.  Oh, plus there's Robbie Ray who's pretty damn good too.  I might be forgetting some others as well.  Cashman did a great job three years ago cornering the market and getting Torres, Frazier, and change for three months of Chapman and a couple years of Miller, but you're gonna have a hard time convincing me this is anything similar.  Seems more like the Pirates trading Cole for a meh deal then giving up two guys that look pretty damn valuable for Chris Archer.  Which means they don't know what the hell they're doing.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Between Bauer, Minor, and Bumgarner I don't think they're really "cleaning out" the options.  Oh, plus there's Robbie Ray who's pretty damn good too.  I might be forgetting some others as well.  Cashman did a great job three years ago cornering the market and getting Torres, Frazier, and change for three months of Chapman and a couple years of Miller, but you're gonna have a hard time convincing me this is anything similar.  Seems more like the Pirates trading Cole for a meh deal then giving up two guys that look pretty damn valuable for Chris Archer.  Which means they don't know what the hell they're doing.

Bumgarner is not available and Bauer is going to cost an arm and a leg.  Neither really counts as a fallback.

I'm 99% sure of the former - the Giants fandom is convinced they have a run in them.  I think it is a grievous mistake.  They MIGHT squeeze in to a Wild Card, but this is not a team with the pieces to do well in the post-season.

Just now, Bronn Stone said:

Bumgarner is not available and Bauer is going to cost an arm and a leg.  Neither really counts as a fallback.

Well, if Stroman only cost that much, how much will Bauer really cost?  I think the move lessens his market value, not improve it.  We'll see if Bumgarner is available or not, I don't know anything about the Giants GM since Sabean left but if I was in that position I'd sell even though they're on fire.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, if Stroman only cost that much, how much will Bauer really cost?  I think the move lessens his market value, not improve it.  We'll see if Bumgarner is available or not, I don't know anything about the Giants GM since Sabean left but if I was in that position I'd sell even though they're on fire.

Re: Stroman price - I don't think that connects to the Bauer cost.  The Indians aren't going to accept whatever they can get, like the Bluejays had to.

Re: Madbum - I would do it too.  But their GM - Farhan Zaidi - is running Bochy out of town as it is.  He can't then also take away his players just when it looks like the team is back in contention - he doesn't yet have that amount of pull in the organization.

1 minute ago, Bronn Stone said:

Re: Stroman price - I don't think that connects to the Bauer cost.  The Indians aren't going to accept whatever they can get, like the Bluejays had to.

Disagree, I think the Indians are just as intent on trading Bauer as the Jays were with Stroman.  Different situations, sure, but they have to know they're gonna get the best deal now rather than in the offseason, and everyone in baseball knows they're not keeping him for next year because they're cheap is shit and he's explicit about exploring free agency.

As for MadBum, like I said, I don't know enough about the Giants to have an informed opinion, but ya gotta figure they're gonna trade away Will Smith - who might be the most attractive bullpen arm on the market - and a couple more guys from their pen, so if they're doing that, I'd think they'll ship him off as well.

I don't think taking Stroman off the market is some kind of brilliant tactical move by the Mets; I think it's just a half-ass move by the half-ass Metropolitans. They want to cash in on Thor, but also have delusions of competing next season.

17 hours ago, DMC said:

It may just be the Post, but there's actual reporting on this:

They could have afforded more but I wonder if the Jays asking for Deivi Garcia rubbed Cashman the wrong way.

26 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

They could have afforded more but I wonder if the Jays asking for Deivi Garcia rubbed Cashman the wrong way.

It could be the case that Toronto's price for moving Stroman in-division was markedly higher.  Possibly even to specifically disincentivize that sort of deal from getting done, unless it would bring in a big haul.  In fact, it's plausible that they really didn't even want to make a deal in the AL, again, unless someone would "over-offer."

3 hours ago, .H. said:

It could be the case that Toronto's price for moving Stroman in-division was markedly higher.  Possibly even to specifically disincentivize that sort of deal from getting done, unless it would bring in a big haul.  In fact, it's plausible that they really didn't even want to make a deal in the AL, again, unless someone would "over-offer."

The Yanks being in-division might have been a factor, but reports are that everyone who talked to the Jays about Stroman is stunned at the low return they got from the Mets. They asked the Twins for Royce Lewis and/or Alex Kirilloff, and comparable packages from everyone else who checked in on Stroman. Now maybe the Jays like the two guys they got back a whole lot more than the rest of the baseball world does, or maybe the counter offers they received from other teams convinced them that the Mets offer was the best they were gonna get, but I'm not convinced at all that they couldn't have gotten more for him. Shit, there's even rumors floating around now that the Mets plan to flip Stroman before the deadline for a net prospect gain.

Trevor Bauer to the Reds in three team deal. Not sure of all the details yet, but ManBearPuig (I still love him with all my heart) is going from the Reds to the Tribe and Franmil Reyes is going from the Padres to the Tribe. Not sure what the Pads are getting out of the deal.

Archived