MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

4 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I expect to hear Cashman say "Getting Severino back is like acquiring and ace". We didn't need Keuchel because of the trade market. I'm glad that worked out.

Yeah, I expect they’re banking on Sev and Betances for the home stretch, which is most likely just stupid. I haven’t even checked if the prospects Astros gave up were even decent?

I am glad they didn’t give away Red Thunder at least.

1 minute ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yeah, I expect they’re banking on Sev and Betances for the home stretch, which is most likely just stupid. I haven’t even checked if the prospects Astros gave up were even decent?

The worst part is in the offseason after an early playoff exit they'll make a trade for a pitcher who turns to shit when he comes here but refuse to sign anyone else because they want too long of a contract or a million more AAV than the front office is comfortable with and we'll be in this same exact spot on the day of the deadline next year.

There are silver linings to every cloud I guess.

Just now, Ramsay B. said:

They gave up their 3-4-5 prospects, plus a lower level prospect, and took on $53MM of the remaining $77MM on Greinke's contract. None of those prospects however are projected to be stars at the MLB level.

Man I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with Cashman.  Maybe when they missed out on Cliff Lee.

57 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

They gave up their 3-4-5 prospects, plus a lower level prospect, and took on $53MM of the remaining $77MM on Greinke's contract. None of those prospects however are projected to be stars at the MLB level.

Here's a comparison of the prospects to the Yanks prospects via Fangraphs constantly updated board.  So they think Martin and Bukauskas are better than every Yankee prospect but Dominguez and Garcia.  Then Beer's not far down either.  Josh Rojas isn't on there, which is weird, but he's hitting pretty damn impressive for a 3B in Triple A.  So..yeah, the Stros gave up quite a bit for Greinke.  Plus you gotta figure they just decided not to resign Cole. 

On 7/31/2019 at 4:35 PM, Myshkin said:

I agree.  Greinke has been lights out at times in his career but its a lot.  Sure glad the Twins didn't give up any studs for him.

Was just looking at team HRs, and my god the Twins.  LA, Houston, and the Yanks are all on pace to beat the record set last year, but aren't even close to Minnesota's 211 in 109 games (they're in the 181-186 range).  The former three all have a HR rate of about 1.67.  The Twins' is 1.94, and they're on pace for 313 HRs.  Crazy.

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

STL looks like they're dropping both of the two games series @ Oakland which is a bummer with @ Doyers coming up.  Need to keep the pressure on these Vile in the Central who are still favored.  

The baseball Athletics of Oakland are being decidedly unclassy. 

I wish the Cards would just bite the goddamn bullet, fire Moz and Schildt, make Stubby  the manager, sell off our dead weight (ie the probably untradable Carp) and do a two year retool / rebuild. Losing Luhnow is probably the worst thing for our franchise the last fifteen years, more than the idiotic Pham dump or the Carp extension. Astros have had one dramatic turn around, directly once Jeff Luhnow started making aggressive moves. Oh and Altuve helped !

Archived