Myshkin

MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

My mighty Redbirds pulled off a great come from behind victory today. I feel that if only we had a pitcher half as good as God-Emperor Ryu we would be a force to be reckoned with.

Why does Gleyber Torres have cavities?  Because he eats too many Orioles for breakfast.

Jesus, how many times do the Yanks get to play the O's this year? Aren't you only supposed to play in-division teams 19 times per season? It feels like the Yanks have played somewhere in the realm of 100 games against the O's this year, and that's just unfair.

2 hours ago, Trisky said:

Jesus, how many times do the Yanks get to play the O's this year? Aren't you only supposed to play in-division teams 19 times per season? It feels like the Yanks have played somewhere in the realm of 100 games against the O's this year, and that's just unfair.

16-2 baby, last game tomorrow!  Gotta figure Torres mashes a couple and breaks Gehrig's record.  After that they got a tough couple weeks.  4 games with Cleveland, a day off, and then 9 days in a row between the A's, the M's, and your Dodgers on a west coast trip.  Then when they get back another series with the A's.  After that, though, the schedule looks pretty lax.

Just woke up in an ape costume with a fucking Smash Mouth song running through my head. Strange things are afoot at the Misc. Forums. Anyway, how 'bout them Dodgers? Smashed six dongers against the Marlins last night. I know it's the Marlins, but still.

Okay Yankees, it's time for you to sweep Cleveland!!! Help the Twins for once in your miserable existence!!!

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Okay Yankees, it's time for you to sweep Cleveland!!! Help the Twins for once in your miserable existence!!!

By "miserable" you mean the most storied franchise in the history of American sports, right?

Boy oh boy is the NL Central a dreary, mosquito-filled festering swamp of disappointment. Apologies for the rant, but I can't only complain about my Cardinals looking like the worst "First Place" team in the league.

The Pirates thought they might compete and are a complete disaster. Lucky for them they don't have any really terrible contracts, and their farm system is merely quite mediocre - an improvement on the three top teams' farms. 

The Reds were buyers at the deadline and have some exciting youth movement going on. I don't think they're going to catch anyone, but they might be OK next year.

The Cardinals have looked really good two times - the first thirty games then a nice stretch in July. Other than that they have trouble getting a run over the plate more than once every three innings or so. We extended Molina and Carpenter, both grandfathered in to unnecessary extensions because Its The Cardinals reasons. These are two of my favorite guys, I've followed both since they were in MiLB. And if they both retired tomorrow, I'd be in line to offer my services to drive their truck in their parades. Both are so atrocious at the plate that they're costing us chances every time they start, on top of 20 million salaries. It's a bummer. Our farm system has two great hitters and a bunch of Mehhhhh.

The Brewers sound great if you read off names, but have as many underperformers as the Cardinals or Cubs. Their farm system has one stud and a whole lot of long-shots or disappointments after. Plus, they're the Brewers and they really should get back to fourth or fifth place where they belong.

You might think the Cubs would be 10 or 15 games up by now with the matching roller-coaster seasons their two main competitors have had. But they're right there as well, looking very scary sometimes, then showcasing their unreliable bullpen, underwhelming starters, and unbalanced lineup for disasters like last night's 9th inning meltdown. That's like the first damn time in my life I've been happy for Bryce Harper, for fuck sake. They have the worst farm system in the division, which is impressive with how lackluster the Cards and Brewers are.

The Dodgers, Braves, and even bizarrely hot Mets all look like they'd wallop the division winner here. This ain't 2014, and we might see some major FO or coaching changes if everyone continues to fall over eachother to try to 'win'.

The Mets better take 2 out of 3 from KC. Our schedule is hard the last part of the season and we need to beat the shitty teams. im used to late season collapses as a met fan though. but its almost sept and theres meaningful baseball. cant be mad at that.

16 hours ago, DMC said:

By "miserable" you mean the most storied franchise in the history of American sports, right?

They sure weren’t storied last night. Both our teams suffer from the same problem. We can mash, but our pitchers aren’t trustworthy. That’s why I don’t think either team can win the ALCS.

46 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Both our teams suffer from the same problem. We can mash, but our pitchers aren’t trustworthy. That’s why I don’t think either team can win the ALCS.

Meh, we'll see.  If almost all the pitchers (except Green) the Yanks used last night are even on the postseason roster, then yeah.  But if they actually do get Sevy and Betances back, they got enough to win.  Dunno about the Twins, but the Yanks are gonna rely on the pen in the postseason, and it's pretty damn good.

I'm all in on a Yanks-Dodgers WS. That's a fucking classic match up right there.

5 hours ago, Myshkin said:

I'm all in on a Yanks-Dodgers WS. That's a fucking classic match up right there.

Fixing for a loser’s threepeat?

58 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fixing for a loser’s threepeat?

Well if I had my pick of likely AL playoff teams to face in the WS I'd take the Twins, no hesitation. But since that's highly unlikely, I'd rather face the Yanks than the 'Stros. I like how our pitching lines up against theirs. Plus, the history.

On 8/16/2019 at 6:17 PM, Myshkin said:

Well if I had my pick of likely AL playoff teams to face in the WS I'd take the Twins, no hesitation. But since that's highly unlikely, I'd rather face the Yanks than the 'Stros. I like how our pitching lines up against theirs. Plus, the history.

If you want Clayton’s playoff ERA to get even worse, we’ll be happy to help.

Well Ty, the Yanks split with Cleveland which did help you guys since the Twins have won four straight - even though I was hoping for a 3-1 series victory, but, CC sucked yesterday.  Anyway, you're welcome.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well Ty, the Yanks split with Cleveland which did help you guys since the Twins have won four straight - even though I was hoping for a 3-1 series victory, but, CC sucked yesterday.  Anyway, you're welcome.

Wonder if CC makes the post-season roster. i cant see them giving him a start but maybe a couple innings out of the pen. I wonder what # they bat Stanton when he comes back. they cant have Judge and Stanton hit back to back in the lineup IMO with their strikeout %'s. Their lineup and pen has got them where they are but I see them losing to Houston for sure.

3 hours ago, The Last Storm said:

Wonder if CC makes the post-season roster. i cant see them giving him a start but maybe a couple innings out of the pen. I wonder what # they bat Stanton when he comes back. they cant have Judge and Stanton hit back to back in the lineup IMO with their strikeout %'s. Their lineup and pen has got them where they are but I see them losing to Houston for sure.

I think CC will definitely make the postseason roster.  You want to have four starters, so even if they get Sevy back, you still gotta consider the fact German will probably be used as a reliever - if at all - at that point to limit his innings.  Which means you got Tanaka, Paxton, Sevy, and _______.  Right now, I'd rather put CC in that blank than Happ, although we'll see what happens.  

If everyone's healthy, they'll break up Judge and Stanton with Voit, I suspect.  Or maybe Hicks.  Or Didi in the considerably likely case the former two aren't going to be healthy for the postseason.  

I think the ALCS being Yanks-Stros is probably what's gonna happen, but who knows even that.  If it is though, I definitely wouldn't say anything "for sure."  First, there's still, what, six weeks left for injuries/recovery from injuries?  So, who knows what things look like in October.  But also, while I think Houston is the favorite, I wouldn't characterize them as strong favorites.  Maybe 60-40 odds for Houston, 66-33 tops.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I think CC will definitely make the postseason roster.  You want to have four starters, so even if they get Sevy back, you still gotta consider the fact German will probably be used as a reliever - if at all - at that point to limit his innings.  Which means you got Tanaka, Paxton, Sevy, and _______.  Right now, I'd rather put CC in that blank than Happ, although we'll see what happens.  

If everyone's healthy, they'll break up Judge and Stanton with Voit, I suspect.  Or maybe Hicks.  Or Didi in the considerably likely case the former two aren't going to be healthy for the postseason.  

I think the ALCS being Yanks-Stros is probably what's gonna happen, but who knows even that.  If it is though, I definitely wouldn't say anything "for sure."  First, there's still, what, six weeks left for injuries/recovery from injuries?  So, who knows what things look like in October.  But also, while I think Houston is the favorite, I wouldn't characterize them as strong favorites.  Maybe 60-40 odds for Houston, 66-33 tops.

Houston's starting pitching can be scary in a 7 game series but your right there is a lot of time from now till then. I suspect they slow down Germans innings big time. Look at the Nationals and what those idiots did when Strasburg pitched great in the regular season and they didnt pitch him in October. German has to be #3 starter assuming Sevy is back