Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Myshkin

MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Recommended Posts

I have friends and family in Cali.  Now I'm wondering if I should bother them with a "do you know what a bubbler is" question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My buddy just confirmed that we used to call them bubblers. I honestly don’t remember using that though. I actually had to google the term just to make sure DMC meant what I assumed he meant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is kind of what I was referring to, the one that got stolen.  But it wasn't just double chambered, the primary bowl was fucking huge.  We could smoke 2 grams in one pack with that thing.  Damn now I'm getting all nostalgic about it.  Fuck you Chris Berman!

I am quite surprised bubbler is so foreign to many of you as a term.  I would think it's regional, but I've mentioned the term in..DC, Orlando, Tampa, Philly, Pitt, NY, SF, SD, Chicago, Lubbock.  I don't think I've ever encountered any confusion about it.

Edited by DMC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

My buddy just confirmed that we used to call them bubblers. I honestly don’t remember using that though. I actually had to google the term just to make sure DMC meant what I assumed he meant.

Prolific use of a bubbler can lead to that side effect.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe I missed out because I had a hookah for most of my 20s and early 30s, so we called it that, and didn't really use other words? This is like a Berenstain Bears situation for potheads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say, this thread derail is quite the demonstration of how bored people get during the all star break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DMC said:

Gotta say, this thread derail is quite the demonstration of how bored people get during the all star break.

Counterpoint: colloquial names for water pipes is more interesting than roughly 5 out of the 7.5 months of baseball season. But I'm happy to let the derail end after having determined that "bubbler" is the favored usage of communist objectivists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, David Price needs to learn what an apology is, and to come to terms with the fact that he's not entitled to anyone's forgiveness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Ugh, David Price needs to learn what an apology is, and to come to terms with the fact that he's not entitled to anyone's forgiveness.

It didn't take him long to blow the postseason goodwill he finally earned. Even if he's been the only halfway competent starter this year: fuck him, the thin-skinned paranoid prick. Maybe he needs to manufacture this shit to keep himself motivated.

ETA: I should add that a big part of this re-erupting was because of WEEI, the preferred sports radio station of Boston MAGAts. They cherrypicked the one quote on the "feud" from a long story about Eck and tweeted it out and got Price all sniffly about it again.

Edited by DanteGabriel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Listen I'm a Dodger fan and a child of the 80s; my baseball awakening occurred at the exact moment that Kirk Gibson crushed Dennis Eckersley's soul. But guess what? I fucking love Eck. Dude was a hell of a ballplayer, a hell of a personality, and he clearly loves the game, despite how much it's hurt him over the years. I remember him crying during his retirement announcement as he talked about how much the game meant to him. I choked up too. Point is, fuck David Price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the breakdown of Aaron Boone's ejection including audio, it is glorious. Respect to him for giving props to the opposing pitcher too.

Edited by Arch-MaesterPhilip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it weird that I'm actually kinda rooting for the Giants? Would love to see them hold on to their trade chips in some misguided attempt to compete this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Is it weird that I'm actually kinda rooting for the Giants? Would love to see them hold on to their trade chips in some misguided attempt to compete this year.

No.  If I was a Dodgers fan that'd be exactly what I'd be rooting for.  As a Yankee fan it'd suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 9:57 PM, Myshkin said:

Listen I'm a Dodger fan and a child of the 80s; my baseball awakening occurred at the exact moment that Kirk Gibson crushed Dennis Eckersley's soul. But guess what? I fucking love Eck. Dude was a hell of a ballplayer, a hell of a personality, and he clearly loves the game, despite how much it's hurt him over the years. I remember him crying during his retirement announcement as he talked about how much the game meant to him. I choked up too. Point is, fuck David Price.

Eck has been the man about the whole thing.  So much so that Gibson has apologized for his boorish behavior!!!

I am picturing Mitt Romney in 2012 saying "He's apologize for America!" and Myshkin being like "Yeah!  He is!!"

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Is it weird that I'm actually kinda rooting for the Giants? Would love to see them hold on to their trade chips in some misguided attempt to compete this year.

These Giants are the only team hotter than STL who is finally playing well at long last after the pre-season hype.  *

I am trying to recall if I've ever rooted for The Vile under any circumstances, and the only instance that I can imagine might have been an extremely targeted playoff situation, late season.  But your sentiments are coming from a similar place, Goblin King. 

I picture you as cult leader of sorts explaining to your followers that, yes, sometimes it is permissible to root for the San Francisco Giants.  

*except also those Astros who are just really good

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about a back and forth. Twins got robbed in the eight on some bad umping, but otherwise that was a crazy game. And also a great example of why we need robot umps. The dude literally couldn’t see the bottom third of the strike zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...