Sign in to follow this  
Myshkin

MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Completely shocking news (Death of Tyler Skaggs - no cause of death given at this time). I'm stunned.

Edited by Bronn Stone

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

That was a pretty good bat flip.

Sanchez's bat flip in the 10th today wins the bat flip game.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I concur, and what a bomb. I’m surprised they didn’t just put him on there.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

6 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I concur, and what a bomb. I’m surprised they didn’t just put him on there.

It has set the standard by which all future bat flips must be judged.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:32 PM, Myshkin said:

Cody Bellinger is a bad man.

It's really impressive how much he's improved at the plate in his short career.  He showed power since day one but was such a strike out machine.  He's tightened it up so much.

Now obviously not the insane extent of the Doyers, but the lowly Cardinals have clawed back above .500 with just up rookie Tommy Edman hitting 9th inning game-winning hits two games in a row (albeit @ Seattle).  Paul DeJong will be the lone STL all start which is sad since he's just having an OK year and perhaps worse than that because he had a good first month and has sucked since that.  Ozuna would have made it probably if not for just getting injured.

By the way, someone pointed out to me the other day that just a few years ago Miami's outfield was Ozuna, Stanton, and Yellich.  Holy shit.  

ETA:  Holy shit some more.  Frank Luntz in the front row behind home plate tonight.  

Edited by Triskele

Had us an earthquake here in SoCal a few minutes ago, Dodgers and Pads played right through it.

6 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Had us an earthquake here in SoCal a few minutes ago, Dodgers and Pads played right through it.

7.1 they're saying. Crazy stuff. Stay safe!

14 minutes ago, Myshkin said:

Sort of fun (saying this as someone indeed safe and hope there's no harm out East) how I was feeling it in the living room in LA proper  while watching the game and wondering when the broadcast would address it and then saw the camera shaking a bit and the commentators finally said something.  Never saw any player react though which was kind of amazing.  

Root for STL tonight Dodger fans.  If you value your souls.  

9 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

7.1 they're saying. Crazy stuff. Stay safe!

It hit way out east of here, thankfully in a place with low population density. Here in Long Beach it was just about a minute of gentle rolling.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

It hit way out east of here, thankfully in a place with low population density. Here in Long Beach it was just about a minute of gentle rolling.

Thunder and lighting...

Marisnick-Lucroy collision.

Perfectly legal play a generation ago.  Dead wrong today.  Lucroy left him a lane and Marisnick didn't take it and instead lowered the shoulder and blew him up.

Suspension should be coming and will be well-deserved.

23 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

Marisnick-Lucroy collision.

Perfectly legal play a generation ago.  Dead wrong today.  Lucroy left him a lane and Marisnick didn't take it and instead lowered the shoulder and blew him up.

Suspension should be coming and will be well-deserved.

It was a rough collision to watch but his foot was pretty much on the line and the when the throw came in it looked like it pulled Lucroy into Marisnick's path.  I agree he'll probably face some sort of discipline for it.

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It was a rough collision to watch but his foot was pretty much on the line and the when the throw came in it looked like it pulled Lucroy into Marisnick's path.  I agree he'll probably face some sort of discipline for it.

That is where Lucroy's foot is SUPPOSED to be.  He's supposed to leave a path to the plate and the runner is supposed to take that path to the plate.  Being "pretty much on the line" leaves the entire other half of the line for Marisnick's use.

Marisnick's left foot is at least a foot and a half on the same side of the line as Lucroy in the step before contact occurs.  You can even see the footprint being created.

And my take is that Marisnick swerved into Lucroy with his last step.  And I suspect the commissioner's office will see it the same way.  Expect a significant suspension.

6 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

That is where Lucroy's foot is SUPPOSED to be.  He's supposed to leave a path to the plate and the runner is supposed to take that path to the plate.  Being "pretty much on the line" leaves the entire other half of the line for Marisnick's use.

Marisnick's left foot is at least a foot and a half on the same side of the line as Lucroy in the step before contact occurs.  You can even see the footprint being created.

And my take is that Marisnick swerved into Lucroy with his last step.  And I suspect the commissioner's office will see it the same way.  Expect a significant suspension.

Is his foot supposed to be there before he has the ball?  And what happens when the throw pulls him into the path of the runner? It looked like when the ball comes in he steps over that line and Marisnick had to change course in anticipation  of Lucroy receiving the ball and he guessed really wrong. 

They probably will and I expect an adjustment to the rule next season.  

The guidance the umpires and league offered the players is that the catcher has to leave a path and the runner has to take the path.

Lucroy set up on one side of the line.  Marisnick came barrelling down that same side.  It's actually an open and shut case.

The catcher isn't blocking the plate.  He has left a direct path and the runner is obligated to take it.

Edited to add:  Had Marisnick been on the other side of the foul line and the throw dragged Lucroy into his path, then he'd be fine.  But he wasn't, it didn't and he isn't.

Edited by Bronn Stone

Ooof, Vlad Jr. Wow.

Round 2!

JocPop and Vlad Jr. was incredibly entertaining.

Edited by kairparavel

Yeah that was quite the round between Vlad and Joc.  Quite the show overall by Vlad in general, but he gassed out at the end (totally understandably).