MLB 2019: The Good, The Bad, and The Mets

Myshkin

7 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Sorry for continuing the off-topic drift, but is "bubbler=bong" a regional thing? Because here in my corner of New England, a bubblah is a water fountain. I like the bong meaning better.

Bubbler vs. Bong.  I grew up in Rochester NY, and have not bought glass since I moved away at 18 in 2003.  So, I don't think it's much of a regional thing, no.  Maybe generational?  Used to get weed from Vermont, and they definitely had the same definitions, as did the Toronto people I dealt with.  Maybe you Bostonians are just particularly weird.  :P

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Bubbler vs. Bong.  I grew up in Rochester NY, and have not bought glass since I moved away at 18 in 2003.  So, I don't think it's much of a regional thing, no.  Maybe generational?  Used to get weed from Vermont, and they definitely had the same definitions, as did the Toronto people I dealt with.  Maybe you Bostonians are just particularly weird.  :P

Bah, I never heard that term in California, Oregon, or Washington either. You're the weird one. Probably some Canadian thing that trickled down to your border territories. But I'm totally stealing that term for local use. I'm gonna make bubblah happen. You'll be hearing it in the Bawston accent soon.

This is kind of what I was referring to, the one that got stolen.  But it wasn't just double chambered, the primary bowl was fucking huge.  We could smoke 2 grams in one pack with that thing.  Damn now I'm getting all nostalgic about it.  Fuck you Chris Berman!

I am quite surprised bubbler is so foreign to many of you as a term.  I would think it's regional, but I've mentioned the term in..DC, Orlando, Tampa, Philly, Pitt, NY, SF, SD, Chicago, Lubbock.  I don't think I've ever encountered any confusion about it.

11 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

My buddy just confirmed that we used to call them bubblers. I honestly don’t remember using that though. I actually had to google the term just to make sure DMC meant what I assumed he meant.

Prolific use of a bubbler can lead to that side effect.  :P

2 hours ago, DMC said:

Gotta say, this thread derail is quite the demonstration of how bored people get during the all star break.

Counterpoint: colloquial names for water pipes is more interesting than roughly 5 out of the 7.5 months of baseball season. But I'm happy to let the derail end after having determined that "bubbler" is the favored usage of communist objectivists.

2 hours ago, Myshkin said:

Ugh, David Price needs to learn what an apology is, and to come to terms with the fact that he's not entitled to anyone's forgiveness.

It didn't take him long to blow the postseason goodwill he finally earned. Even if he's been the only halfway competent starter this year: fuck him, the thin-skinned paranoid prick. Maybe he needs to manufacture this shit to keep himself motivated.

ETA: I should add that a big part of this re-erupting was because of WEEI, the preferred sports radio station of Boston MAGAts. They cherrypicked the one quote on the "feud" from a long story about Eck and tweeted it out and got Price all sniffly about it again.

Listen I'm a Dodger fan and a child of the 80s; my baseball awakening occurred at the exact moment that Kirk Gibson crushed Dennis Eckersley's soul. But guess what? I fucking love Eck. Dude was a hell of a ballplayer, a hell of a personality, and he clearly loves the game, despite how much it's hurt him over the years. I remember him crying during his retirement announcement as he talked about how much the game meant to him. I choked up too. Point is, fuck David Price.

1 hour ago, Myshkin said:

Is it weird that I'm actually kinda rooting for the Giants? Would love to see them hold on to their trade chips in some misguided attempt to compete this year.

No.  If I was a Dodgers fan that'd be exactly what I'd be rooting for.  As a Yankee fan it'd suck.

Talk about a back and forth. Twins got robbed in the eight on some bad umping, but otherwise that was a crazy game. And also a great example of why we need robot umps. The dude literally couldn’t see the bottom third of the strike zone.

Archived