Jump to content
The Anti-Targ

The Last Fox X-men Thread - no spoilers

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

It seems X-men depart Fox with a whimper rather than a bang, which pretty much reflects the departure of the entire Marvel Fox roster, with the exception of Deadpool. Unless the bang is the franchise hitting rock bottom.

Still, some YouTube reviewers are saying that fans of the X-men should still go see it, because it has good moments. It's just that the good is outweighed by the bad. My problem is that I'm not really an X-men comics fan, but I generally liked the X-men movies. I've not been a comic reader since I was pre-teen really, so for all comicbook movies I'm a respecter of the source material, but not very knowledgeable. So the question is whether that "if you are an X-men fan you should see it" review applies to me or not.

Anyway, looking for impressions from people who do take the risk to see it in theatres (once it opens). But until then do you think it will be as bad as the current review aggregate suggests?

Edit: Some people saying Sophie Turner actually does a good job, which is nice to hear that she has developed into an actor of reasonable talent.

Edited by The Anti-Targ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It seems X-men depart Fox with a whimper rather than a bang, which pretty much reflects the departure of the entire Marvel Fox roster, with the exception of Deadpool. Unless the bang is the franchise hitting rock bottom.

Still, some YouTube reviewers are saying that fans of the X-men should still go see it, because it has good moments. It's just that the good is outweighed by the bad. My problem is that I'm not really an X-men comics fan, but I generally liked the X-men movies. I've not been a comic reader since I was pre-teen really, so for all comicbook movies I'm a respecter of the source material, but not very knowledgeable. So the question is whether that "if you are an X-men fan you should see it" review applies to me or not.

Anyway, looking for impressions from people who do take the risk to see it in theatres (once it opens). But until then do you think it will be as bad as the current review aggregate suggests?

Edit: Some people saying Sophie Turner actually does a good job, which is nice to hear that she has developed into an actor of reasonable talent.

Keep in mind that people have been saying she's a genius actor for years. They said it about her performance in the last one (shit), and every source I've seen says she's the worst thing in the film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no desire to see the Dark Phoenix story butchered for the second time on the big screen, but I disagree that Deadpool was Fox’s only success with the X-Men. Logan was excellent, and X2, DoFP, First Class were all solid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I was not impressed with Turner in the early seasons of GoT, and I didn't watch 6-8 so I don't know how she developed in the end stages of that show. But I was definitely not wowed by her performance in X-Men Apocalypse. I thought it was a curious choice for her to be Jean Grey. In hindsight they might have been better off going with J-Law as Grey, and I think Olivia Munn was short changed as Psylocke and she would have been a good Mystique, and perhaps more willing to mostly walk around in a tight blue bodysuit.

Well, now all roles are open with a complete course correction and fresh start. The question is how long will we have to wait?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I have no desire to see the Dark Phoenix story butchered for the second time on the big screen, but I disagree that Deadpool was Fox’s only success with the X-Men. Logan was excellent, and X2, DoFP, First Class were all solid. 

You're correct. What I meant was the manner of the final act in each Fox-Marvel franchise, in which Dark Phoenix is the final X-men movie. I see Deadpool as a separate franchise, but Wolverine solo movies are part of the broader X-men franchise. Others might have a different view of how to franchise the various Fox-Marvel movies. Logan was definitely a brilliant exit for Jackman's Wolverine and Stewart's prof X. Their renditions of these characters are thankfully untainted by Dark Phoenix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually even the poor reviews I’ve read say Turner is one if the few actors that bothers to put any effort in. Also everything I’ve read so far says the first 20 mins ate completely awesome then it goes downhill real fast.

Also I won’t spoil it here but who Chastain is playing is apparently not a secret in the actual film at all and no one knows why it’s kept secret in the trailers. I will who she is actually playing is pretty stupid.

Also I liked Turner in the last film. Pretty much the scenes with the younger X-men in that film are the only ones that I didn’t fall asleep durning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I haven’t seen a single review state she’s the worse thing in the film. I’m no mega fan or anything but every review I’ve read pretty much singles out Lawrence and Chastain of giving the worst performances of their career with Hout being mentioned as a close second.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it was JackBauer (he of zombie Bradley Beal fame) that went around telling everyone on this board that Sophie was going to deliver practically an Oscar worthy performance leading up to Apocalypse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Actually even the poor reviews I’ve read say Turner is one if the few actors that bothers to put any effort in. Also everything I’ve read so far says the first 20 mins ate completely awesome then it goes downhill real fast.

Also I won’t spoil it here but who Chastain is playing is apparently not a secret in the actual film at all and no one knows why it’s kept secret in the trailers. I will who she is actually playing is pretty stupid.

Also I liked Turner in the last film. Pretty much the scenes with the younger X-men in that film are the only ones that I didn’t fall asleep durning.

Several reviews I've read/seen state turner et al are still the highlights and can't be blamed for the film being dull/pointless.

I think Jeremy Jahns summed it up best, saying the Fox/Disney merger was underway just before filming and pretty much everyone's heart went out of the project. Why spend any more money on the last installment in a franchise.

What boggles my mind is why you let the guy who wrote last stand and apocalypse have a shot at writing and directing. I also heard he shot most of the recut fant4stic film - hardly glowing.

I have noticed conflicting reports about the least bad half of the film though.

I also don't get the "reshoots because of similarities with captain marvel". If the film had been released in its original slot it would have been several months before cap marvel was released. So it can't possibly be the only reason - unless Disney said "you can't mess with our release - change it". Which actually could explain the "well, fuck it all then" which seems to be the general impression the reviews are giving - a film in which no ones heart was in it.

I have a free cinema to use but think i might just see endgame again instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Turner was definitely one of the least awful things in Apocalypse and I'm sure she will do a solid if unspectacular job here. 

Most of the criticisms I've seen of the movie so far have been that it seems to have backed off having a darker edge, and that it probably would have been more powerful had it been R rated and shown the truly dark side of the Phoenix. 

That and reports that the timeline stuff in the X-Men has totally gotten itself into a mess. 

Here's hoping for a complete reboot in 5 years time. X-Men were my favourite comics growing up and I'm sad there is hardly anything from all the movies for me to cling to and think 'oh yes this feels like something I used to like'. Even X-Men 2 is a far from perfect movie, and Logan feels more like an epilogue to an X-Men that never existed. 

 

Edited by Heartofice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread could still last several years if we have to wait for "new mutants" to be released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just seen it (don't worry no spoilers).

I was underwhelmed. The storyline is a bit ho-hum, and while there are some nice action sequences, the main emotion I was feeling while watching it was "slightly bored".

Sophie Turner is fine (but not amazing). For me, Fassbender and McAvoy were the acting highlights. Fassbender in particular has great screen charisma.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jeor said:

I've just seen it (don't worry no spoilers).

I was underwhelmed. The storyline is a bit ho-hum, and while there are some nice action sequences, the main emotion I was feeling while watching it was "slightly bored".

Sophie Turner is fine (but not amazing). For me, Fassbender and McAvoy were the acting highlights. Fassbender in particular has great screen charisma.

I feel like most of this applies to every xmen movie since and including first class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I feel like most of this applies to every xmen movie since and including first class

Booo!

I'll die on the First Class is great hill. Days of Future Past is also not without its great moments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, Nictarion said:

Logan was excellent, and X2, DoFP, First Class were all solid. 

The first film was perfectly solid as well, I thought.  Also, I didn't hate Apocalypse as much as most did.  Wouldn't call it solid, but..competent?  Whereas Last Stand and the two Wolverine movies were not.  Also, I think Deadpool, and especially Deadpool 2, is vastly overrated.  Ryan Reynolds tries too hard and it's pretty dull humor, just dressed up because there's a ton of it and he says naughty words.

Anyway, man I'm not sure the last time I saw as scathing reviews as Dark Phoenix is getting.  Definitely will not be seeing it for some time.  Well, scratch that, sure I'll be bored one night and watch it illegally online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Booo!

I'll die on the First Class is great hill. Days of Future Past is also not without its great moments.

I watched it on tv again 2 nights ago and if they stuck to the original plan of a magneto origin film instead of merging it with the first class idea i think it would have been magnificent as all the fassbender scenes and his nazi hunting is great.

 

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I legit loved the second Wolverine film minus the last 10 mins or so. 

Same here 

There's only apocalypse and wolverine origins that has been truly awful. I also caught origins before first class and the SFX in thst film is horrific. When he discovers his adamantium claws in the bathroom it's like they used a commodre 64 to render them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

X3 is a goddamn travesty. I saw it on HBO or something about a year ago and actually thought I might have just been too hard on it. And then the movie started.

 

ETA: Folks are too hard on X1 though

Edited by Jace, Basilissa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X1 will always be special for the fact that it started the comic book movie craze all those years ago. There was a handful of good ones before that like Blade and Burton’s Batman, but most comic movies pre-Xmen were terrible. It hasn’t aged particularly well, and I will never forgive Singer for ruining Rogue so badly (and Cyclops to a lesser degree), but it’s still a pretty good movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DoFP is actually one of my favourite X-movies. Logan and Deadpools were very good. X1 and X2 average. First Class decent. The rest of them were dogshit.

Haven't seen the new one, and given the reviews I don't intend to. Also, Sophie Turner is an awful actress.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×