The Last Fox X-men Thread - no spoilers

The Anti-Targ

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

X3 is a goddamn travesty. I saw it on HBO or something about a year ago and actually thought I might have just been too hard on it. And then the movie started.

ETA: Folks are too hard on X1 though

It's a shame as i thought the opening with angel was really good. But yes it was downhill from there (the same was true in wolverine origins aa the title sequence would have made a great film - two semi-immortal antagonists through every war since the 1800s). 

At least they didn't have vinnie Jones as juggernaut. Thank you Deadpool for doing juggernaut right.

44 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

X1 will always be special for the fact that it started the comic book movie craze all those years ago. There was a handful of good ones before that like Blade and Burton’s Batman, but most comic movies pre-Xmen were terrible. It hasn’t aged particularly well, and I will never forgive Singer for ruining Rogue so badly (and Cyclops to a lesser degree), but it’s still a pretty good movie. 

Just finally seeing all the characters on the big screen blew me away. I was never a huge X-Men fan but did read a bunch of their stuff. The early scene when Sabretooth first attacks, and Cyclops and Storm saved them gave me chills at the time. I still prefer X1 over X2(which I think is vastly overrated). 

I love First Class, DoFP was solid and Apocalypse/X3 were embarrassing.

Haven't seen it, but apparently J-Law is the leader of the team? LOL!

For those unfamiliar with the source material, but who know the MCU, Mystique leading the X-men, but without any connection to Rogue & Nightcrawler. is pretty much exactly like Loki leading the Avengers, but not being related to Thor and Odin at all. A big part of what made this universe fail is more weight on stars sleepwalking through the material than the characters.

Yeah Mystique hasn’t been like her comic counterpart since the first film. I mean, no way in the comics would she even be in the same room as magneto let alone work with him.

Also as meh as Apocalypse was I almost think I would have enjoyed it more if it had been worse. Origins is SO bad I get a kick out of watching it occasionally.

For me, there are sort of three tiers of X-movies.

The top tier has First Class, Logan, and Days of Future Past.

The middle tier has X1, X2, The Wolverine.

The bottom rung has X3 and Apocalypse.

I never saw Origins so I don't know where to place it (although consensus seems to be bottom rung). Sadly I think on reflection that Dark Phoenix is probably bottom rung material.

9 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah Mystique hasn’t been like her comic counterpart since the first film. I mean, no way in the comics would she even be in the same room as magneto let alone work with him.

I could see them working together, but being friends, nope. But that wasn't so absurd- having her lead the team is.

2 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

I could see them working together, but being friends, nope. But that wasn't so absurd- having her lead the team is.

We all know why she's the leader of the team though and it's entirely down to the fact that they lucked out in signing an actor who was about to become a major celebrity. Granted, they didn't have to make Mystique a leader but they did need to max out her role/exposure. Even if it seemed pretty clear that Lawrence wound up in at least two more X-men films than she wanted.

I'm surprised the comics didn't do the usual thing of imitating the films but I guess with the comics hating Fox they were insulated from all of that.

Has anyone actually watched the new film? This thread seems to largely consist of us stating why we aren't watching.

42 minutes ago, red snow said:

Has anyone actually watched the new film? This thread seems to largely consist of us stating why we aren't watching.

LOL, yep.

43 minutes ago, red snow said:

Me! I saw it. And unfortunately that's why I've put it in the bottom rung. On the whole it is just...boring.

5 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Me! I saw it. And unfortunately that's why I've put it in the bottom rung. On the whole it is just...boring.

I'm glad you are taking a hit for the rest of us. Noble action.

24 minutes ago, Jeor said:

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm glad you are taking a hit for the rest of us. Noble action.

I wish in the little "like button" menu there was a 'salute' option. Because @Jeor is a goddamn patriot.

Fassbender, McAvoy, McKellen, Stewart, Jackman and Dafne Keen saved the X-Men franchise IMO. Even the best films (First Class, DoFP and Logan) would have probably been quite mediocre at best without those performances.

The entire original trilogy fell very flat for me personally. I agree with the consensus that 2 is the best, and 3 is the worst, but all in all I would say all three films are kinda similar in quality.

So I would say that I am quite looking forward to a full reboot in the MCU, but maybe slightly apprehensive that Professor X and Magneto can only go downhill after the last 2 actors that played them.

2 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

I don't think it is overstating the case to call you a hero. 

We certainly owe Jeor for true heroic service to the board.

1 hour ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

Fassbender, McAvoy, McKellen, Stewart, Jackman and Dafne Keen saved the X-Men franchise IMO. Even the best films (First Class, DoFP and Logan) would have probably been quite mediocre at best without those performances.

The entire original trilogy fell very flat for me personally. I agree with the consensus that 2 is the best, and 3 is the worst, but all in all I would say all three films are kinda similar in quality.

So I would say that I am quite looking forward to a full reboot in the MCU, but maybe slightly apprehensive that Professor X and Magneto can only go downhill after the last 2 actors that played them.

I'll be honest, i haven't seen the original 3 since the MCU launched. I suspect they were good at the time as there was little else to compare them too beyond Catwoman and superman returns. I think batman begins was even after X3. 

The casting of xavier and magneto have been undeniable highlights. Fassbender and McAvoy are rare talents in the sense they can still impress when the rest of a film stinks (sadly they've had plenty of opportunities to prove this). Both of them clearly like playing in the superhero/SF genre.

I hope McAvoy in particular gets a chance to play an MCU character down the road. He's said he'd like to play the riddler, something the batman folks should consider 

This whole franchise has been such a disappointment from First Class for  ( outside of Logan)

Mainly because in First Class you can see the seeds of a great movie. Fassbender is just great and any scenes with him make you realise what this franchise could have been. Then there are so many moments of just silly but uninteresting action and a plot that doesn’t really amount to any thing. First Class is also a great example of the franchise as a whole, because it doesn’t know what it is or what it’s trying to be and doesn’t really do anything well.

Its not dark and gritty like a DC movie, and it’s not bright and colourful like a Marvel movie. This second bunch of Xmen movies sort of exist in a middle ground of trying to be both earnest and serious , but also full of over the top action. They never get the balance right or manage to stand out in any way

Plus so many of the Xmen just seem to be either bland and uninteresting, or just simply forgotten about and rarely fleshed out. 

God I can’t wait for Marvel to get them back.

3 hours ago, Ser Arthur Hightower said:

That's an interesting topic about how they'll do that. I feel like with formally introducing the multiverse, Disney can put the X-Men in their own universe but have the occasional cross over, like Mysterio in Spider Man 2, assuming Mystrerio isn't just full of shit and totally made up the whole 616 and 833 line to bamboozle Fury and Peter and he's totally from the same world as Peter. Not sure how canon to the MC(Mv)U Into the Spiderverse or Venom is. I imagine Disney holds those two movies at arms length and they neither confirm nor deny the truth of a multiverse in the MCU.

I've seen one pundit think that bringing the X-men into the Avengers continuity (esp post Endgame) kind of undercuts a lot of the social commentary around racism and intolerance that is an ongoing theme in the X-men. So if Disney wants to lean on those themes it might be better if they start with a clean slate in an Avengers-less universe.

Hah! I appreciate the support, all.

The highlights of Dark Phoenix are, predictably, in Fassbender and McAvoy's performances. Unfortunately, Fassbender doesn't have a huge amount of material to work with, and the film has a number of major storyline issues, it just seems to lack impetus - hence my review of "boring".

It does seem tricky as to how they'll integrate X-Men into the MCU. There doesn't seem to be "room" for the whole mutant storyline within what we've been seeing with the Avengers - especially given that there would be historic issues as Magneto / Professor X should have been kicking around for quite a long time in the Avengers timeline. Unless they do a "First Class" type thing where the X-Men are only formed much later.

32 minutes ago, Jeor said:

Hah! I appreciate the support, all.

The highlights of Dark Phoenix are, predictably, in Fassbender and McAvoy's performances. Unfortunately, Fassbender doesn't have a huge amount of material to work with, and the film has a number of major storyline issues, it just seems to lack impetus - hence my review of "boring".

It does seem tricky as to how they'll integrate X-Men into the MCU. There doesn't seem to be "room" for the whole mutant storyline within what we've been seeing with the Avengers - especially given that there would be historic issues as Magneto / Professor X should have been kicking around for quite a long time in the Avengers timeline. Unless they do a "First Class" type thing where the X-Men are only formed much later.

My biggest concern has and will continue to be how they will be able to do justice to Magneto.  The Holocaust is now too far in the past to have a survivor out terrorizing the world now.  It’s been mentioned on this forum before that he could be changed in ethnicity to another victim of ethnic cleansing, but I honestly feel that any real change to Magneto’s backstory is a bit of an insult.

19 minutes ago, Rhom said:

My biggest concern has and will continue to be how they will be able to do justice to Magneto.  The Holocaust is now too far in the past to have a survivor out terrorizing the world now.  It’s been mentioned on this forum before that he could be changed in ethnicity to another victim of ethnic cleansing, but I honestly feel that any real change to Magneto’s backstory is a bit of an insult.

I think you can explain around that.  It's entirely plausible that Wolverine is hundreds of years old, in fact it make sense in his case.  Perhaps the mutant gene leads to longer life - they're like the Dunedain.

Archived