The Last Fox X-men Thread - no spoilers

The Anti-Targ

7 hours ago, red snow said:

I agree it will probably be forgotten about in the sense they will not waste time delving into it too much and quickly operate as if it isn't a major thing but there is no way they will retcon it out if existence 3 months (our time) after introducing it. Surely they would have corrected that in Endgame if there wasn't some reason for keeping it. You don't shackle a franchise with something like that unless there's some kind of plan.

Whether the time jump makes it easier or harder to do mutants is the big question. 

I'll wait and see what Far From Home does, but they essentially laid the groundwork for forgetting the five years already...unless the convenience of having Peter's entire class/school be among the snapped was intentional...

7 hours ago, red snow said:

Whether the time jump makes it easier or harder to do mutants is the big question. 

I don't really see how it matters much in terms of however they choose to introduce mutants.  Like Anti-Targ said, how does whether it's, say, 2019 or 2024 affect anything other than Magneto's age - which needs to be addressed regardless?

17 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

unless the convenience of having Peter's entire class/school be among the snapped was intentional...

I don't think it will be the entire class, just the classmates who are actual characters and we saw in the last one...they all were conveniently snapped too.

2 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'll wait and see what Far From Home does, but they essentially laid the groundwork for forgetting the five years already...unless the convenience of having Peter's entire class/school be among the snapped was intentional...

The maddening thing is the thought that the only issue is whether all if Peter's classmates were snapped. The planet should be an absolute mess but it's looking pretty clear that everyone just shrugs and moves on because it's a popcorn franchise.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I don't really see how it matters much in terms of however they choose to introduce mutants.  Like Anti-Targ said, how does whether it's, say, 2019 or 2024 affect anything other than Magneto's age - which needs to be addressed regardless?

I don't think it will be the entire class, just the classmates who are actual characters and we saw in the last one...they all were conveniently snapped too.

The point was that mutants might have existed (maybe none of them were snapped for instance) beforehand and that 5 years was a chance for them to gather and consolidate for safety.

In terms of magneto, if they choose him, then 5 years makes quite a difference. Let's say magneto was  only 5 (he's usually depicted as being 10+) at the end of world war 2. That's making him 79 now or 84 in the MCU timeline. It does make a difference. Although i agree with most in that they'll need a work around anyhow if they want a long term villain. Would actually be refreshing to have Magneto at the age he should be for a single film instead of being in every single film.

57 minutes ago, red snow said:

The maddening thing is the thought that the only issue is whether all if Peter's classmates were snapped. The planet should be an absolute mess but it's looking pretty clear that everyone just shrugs and moves on because it's a popcorn franchise.

Exactly.  They should have simply returned to moments after the first snap...might have made for more dramatic tension if Stark, who didn't want to lose what he had gained after those five years, was faced with a choice where he could fix what should have been an actual wrecked world...

11 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Exactly.  They should have simply returned to moments after the first snap...might have made for more dramatic tension if Stark, who didn't want to lose what he had gained after those five years, was faced with a choice where he could fix what should have been an actual wrecked world...

Pretty much the entire mess is because Stark didn't want to lose 5 years which is particularly selfish when he died in the process of fixing it. Surely he could have snapped "and i get to keep my daughter"? I guess the point was there were millions of others who arguably didn't want to lose the 5 years and probably a lot of lives created besides his daughter. But they didn't convey that so it comes off as a massive egotistical decision. Which is actually really fitting of Stark's character. But very, very messy and selfish.

I think this thread might be setting a record for not really talking about the film in question! It does at least highlight how the x-men are very popular and there's a lot of enthusiasm fir what comes next even if the current film is completely ignored

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

All of Peters friends were snapped, they said that a while ago.

Rather convenient isn't that, lol

I hated the time skip as well. They basically spent 30 minutes of this film doing very little aside from "and this is what's knew with this character and this is what's knew with this character", instead of actually advancing the plot. I mean if the time skip had to happen, I'd almost prefer it to happen at the start of the movie, instead of giving us a 20 minute adventure of the surviving Avengers killing Thanos, which seemed laughably easy after the climax of the previous film.

52 minutes ago, red snow said:

Pretty much the entire mess is because Stark didn't want to lose 5 years which is particularly selfish when he died in the process of fixing it. Surely he could have snapped "and i get to keep my daughter"? I guess the point was there were millions of others who arguably didn't want to lose the 5 years and probably a lot of lives created besides his daughter. But they didn't convey that so it comes off as a massive egotistical decision. Which is actually really fitting of Stark's character. But very, very messy and selfish.

I think this thread might be setting a record for not really talking about the film in question! It does at least highlight how the x-men are very popular and there's a lot of enthusiasm fir what comes next even if the current film is completely ignored

Stark doesn't fix it, Hulk fixes it.

What I would do is make the snap have some odd effects which introduces mutants into the world. It can only be snapped people, but it can be anyone. 

This makes older mutants like Xavier and magneto odd, but it gives a lot of dynamism to the rest and answers quickly the "why aren't you around" bit.

The other is a simply alt reality thing. We have already established alternate realities; it isn't hard to have another one merge into this one somehow. 

3 hours ago, red snow said:

In terms of magneto, if they choose him, then 5 years makes quite a difference. Let's say magneto was  only 5 (he's usually depicted as being 10+) at the end of world war 2. That's making him 79 now or 84 in the MCU timeline. It does make a difference. Although i agree with most in that they'll need a work around anyhow if they want a long term villain.

Right.  No matter what he's really too old.  Or at least older than you'd want when introducing the character.  Unless he was running for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Re: How they introduce them into the MCU - honestly I don't see what the big deal would be if it was just explained as Xavier and Erik hid their abilities for obvious reason, Charles established a school as a type of haven, and now he has a group of 20-somethings that are ready to fight along with a group of teenagers that are still learning how to use their gifts.  I would totally be fine with that explanation, but apparently most wouldn't?

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right.  No matter what he's really too old.  Or at least older than you'd want when introducing the character.  Unless he was running for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Re: How they introduce them into the MCU - honestly I don't see what the big deal would be if it was just explained as Xavier and Erik hid their abilities for obvious reason, Charles established a school as a type of haven, and now he has a group of 20-somethings that are ready to fight along with a group of teenagers that are still learning how to use their gifts.  I would totally be fine with that explanation, but apparently most wouldn't?

Honestly, I don’t have a problem with it either.

32 minutes ago, DMC said:

The X-men were always fighting villains, even though they were teens- when they first faced Magneto, they were all 15-16.

Also, have the X-men as adults teaching teenagers and kids at the school is exactly what the Fox films did, I'd prefer something new. Not to mention that, considering how they aren't likely to have solo movies, starting with the original team as teenagers not only allows viewers to see them grow, but means that Wolverine won't join the team at the beginning, reducing the risk of the movies becoming Wolverine & his Amazing Friends like the Fox films did.

1 minute ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Also, have the X-men as adults teaching teenagers and kids at the school is exactly what the Fox films did, I'd prefer something new. Not to mention that, considering how they aren't likely to have solo movies, starting with the original team as teenagers not only allows viewers to see them grow, but means that Wolverine won't join the team at the beginning, reducing the risk of the movies becoming Wolverine & his Amazing Friends like the Fox films did.

Yeah we just fundamentally disagree on this.  I don't want it to be a bunch of teenagers.  20-somethings have plenty of time to grow/evolve as characters anyway.  Hell, how old was Hugh Jackman when he took the role that he did for, like, twenty years?  I don't wanna watch a John Hughes movie, which is what it will devolve into if it's a bunch of teenagers.

I agree with Wolverine not being introduced til later.  It's going to be very difficult for the next guy considering how iconic Jackman is as Logan.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I'm cool with that too but there's a few folk feel the x-men have to be teenagers. I'm not against the idea but don't think it's essential (or in the MO of every MCU film besides spider-man). Like you, no reason they can't have some x-men as teachers and some as students. Yes, the fix films did this but so has the comics from giant size x-men onwards (which is when the x-men took off as a series). New mutants and generation x are the versions of the x-men that focused solely on the teen x-men.

I mean, really, when I think about it this whole discussion of "how are they gonna integrate the Xmen into the MCU in a way that makes sense" is farcical.  What about the MCU actually makes sense?  I'm not going to go over all 21 movies, that'd be exhaustive, but let's take the last two big ones - Infinity War and Endgame.  In Infinity War, why wasn't there a huge multinational air force ready to destroy the alien invaders?  Wakanda is presumably in Africa, and the US itself has enough firepower stationed in the Middle East to completely obliterate that ship within hours.  Same thing with Endgame.  Dr. Strange opens up those portals?  K.  The entire galaxy is against this guy.  They could easily destroy his army with overwhelming force.  But, they're comic book movies, so I just shrug and enjoy.  Which is what most people will do no matter how they introduce Xmen. 

I really don’t want them to be teachers in a school, mostly because that means there will be teenage mutants and teenagers are generally annoying in anything. 

That also means I really don’t want them to be teenager Xmen. 

Ideally i’d say you just start with some mid 20s OG characters who have been hiding out. Nobody wants to see an origin story and so just introduce their backstories subtly. 

And yeah really I don’t think it matters that much if some people wanna scream about  ‘ugh where were these guys when Thanos was rolling about’. As mentioned, there’s a ton of hand waving already, only internet oddballs get worked up about that stuff 

9 hours ago, DMC said:

I mean, really, when I think about it this whole discussion of "how are they gonna integrate the Xmen into the MCU in a way that makes sense" is farcical.  What about the MCU actually makes sense?  I'm not going to go over all 21 movies, that'd be exhaustive, but let's take the last two big ones - Infinity War and Endgame.  In Infinity War, why wasn't there a huge multinational air force ready to destroy the alien invaders?  Wakanda is presumably in Africa, and the US itself has enough firepower stationed in the Middle East to completely obliterate that ship within hours.  Same thing with Endgame.  Dr. Strange opens up those portals?  K.  The entire galaxy is against this guy.  They could easily destroy his army with overwhelming force.  But, they're comic book movies, so I just shrug and enjoy.  Which is what most people will do no matter how they introduce Xmen. 

Bottom line is if the films are entertaining people won't mind the continuity. It's when a film doesn't hold up well that the nitpicking becomes more of an issue. I think the time travel in endgame is BS but it's still a great action adventure with strong character beats so I'm cool with it. Whereas Ultron I'm less forgiving of.

The x-men films are a perfect example. Nonsensical continuity acceptable in first class and DOFP. Not acceptable in apocalypse as it's an awful film

Archived