The Last Fox X-men Thread - no spoilers

The Anti-Targ

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

The x-men films are a perfect example. Nonsensical continuity acceptable in first class and DOFP. Not acceptable in apocalypse as it's an awful film

I actually think the time travel in the X-Men movies is easier to tolerate because I can never remember what the hell happened in the last one and I find the whole franchise such a mess that my expectations are rock bottom.

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I actually think the time travel in the X-Men movies is easier to tolerate because I can never remember what the hell happened in the last one and I find the whole franchise such a mess that my expectations are rock bottom.

Yeah, they almost established that it doesn't make any sense and that we should try not to worry about it. 

If magneto "ages" as he has from the 60s to 90s in the fassbender era of films there won't be an issue with him not appearing 80+ in the MCU!

Apparently Jason Momoa is angling for the role of Wolverine. I think Jason Momoa is great and all, but that's hard pass from me.  Unless they are going to do some sfx shenanigans and shrink him down to 5'3" I don't want him in that role. Find him a role that he fits naturally (Sabretooth?). Marvel has the chance to make Wolverine the stocky dude with a short man's complex and either needs to cast accordingly or do sfx to make whoever plays him be the right height in the movie.

Thor meeting a 5'3" Wolverine for the first time is a very different interaction to him meeting a full sized Jason Momoa version of Wolverine.

38 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Apparently Jason Momoa is angling for the role of Wolverine. I think Jason Momoa is great and all, but that's hard pass from me.  Unless they are going to do some sfx shenanigans and shrink him down to 5'3" I don't want him in that role. Find him a role that he fits naturally (Sabretooth?). Marvel has the chance to make Wolverine the stocky dude with a short man's complex and either needs to cast accordingly or do sfx to make whoever plays him be the right height in the movie.

Thor meeting a 5'3" Wolverine for the first time is a very different interaction to him meeting a full sized Jason Momoa version of Wolverine.

It could be worse. They could cast the twilight vampire as the Batman. That was a joke. It would never happen in reality.

26 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

It could be worse. They could cast the twilight vampire as the Batman. That was a joke. It would never happen in reality.

Occasionally for better, but unfortunately usually for worse, there are lots of things that are a joke but they still end up happening in reality.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I've posted this before but I still don't get the desire for Wolverine's character to be casted to a short actor. That is the most irrelevant characteristic in an actor that I can think of to look for. Acting ability, storywriting, character conflict and possibly a million other variables matter more before I get to the height of the actor. Frankly I would never think of a person's height as even a possible requirement to a role except for..

Is there some storyline where Wolverine's height and physical stature is key to his character? Because Wolverine is not Tyrion where if Arnold Swarzenegger played Tyrion, then yes I would fundamentally disagree with the casting choice.  Otherwise, Wolverine is an uncouth person who can get rabidly berserk and height doesn't matter. Logan the movie pulled off a great version of that character.

39 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

I think I've posted this before but I still don't get the desire for Wolverine's character to be casted to a short actor. That is the most irrelevant characteristic in an actor that I can think of to look for. Acting ability, storywriting, character conflict and possibly a million other variables matter more before I get to the height of the actor. Frankly I would never think of a person's height as even a possible requirement to a role except for..

Is there some storyline where Wolverine's height and physical stature is key to his character? Because Wolverine is not Tyrion where if Arnold Swarzenegger played Tyrion, then yes I would fundamentally disagree with the casting choice.  Otherwise, Wolverine is an uncouth person who can get rabidly berserk and height doesn't matter. Logan the movie pulled off a great version of that character.

Having  a complex about being short is part of Wolverine's comicbook character. You don't have to cast a short actor, but the character should be played as being short, well below average for a man. So if they don't cast a short actor they should digitally manipulate the film (or use forced perspective in filming) to make him short. Somehow I get the feeling Momoa isn't interested in being shrunk to 5'3".

And making Wolverine short is a potential clear point of difference between MCU Wolverine and Fox Wolverine.

Part of the logic to the name Wolverine is because the actual animal is diminutive (for a predator) and very aggressive. It's an oversized weasel, albeit looks like a midget bear. So why would you call an actual bear of a man, like Momoa, Wolverine?

Does wolverine have a chip on his soldier about being short? I don't remember it. I mean the whole lost memories (,or returned shitty memories) and being a military lab rat probably over-ride his stature as a prime motivator.

You could probably still call yourself wolverine for having sharp claws and being a vicious bastard. 

I think not being Hugh Jackman will be enough to delineate the two portrayals of Wolverine. Although it would be a nice touch if the actor is short (is the devito campaign still going?). Even better would be people complaining the character was too short after the casting.

Being short is one of Wolverines core characteristics. He's not some tall heroic looking superhero, hes this angry little dude who can't control his temper and is very good at ripping things apart. I don't think the movies really captured that, as good as Jackman was, he was just too tall and good looking. Also he needs to be hairy.. and maybe, you know, wear the costume!!

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Being short is one of Wolverines core characteristics. He's not some tall heroic looking superhero, hes this angry little dude who can't control his temper and is very good at ripping things apart. I don't think the movies really captured that, as good as Jackman was, he was just too tall and good looking. Also he needs to be hairy.. and maybe, you know, wear the costume!!

But that is the depiction of wolverine that will now be definitive in many people's eyes.

I think the issue is one of Hollywood perception in that because wolverine is a leading character who can hold his own movies they tend to think Hollywood leading man which tends to be tall and good looking.

Paul giamatti, ribisi and tom hollander (not spider-man!) all look the part but Hollywood is reluctant to go that way.

If they could convince Daniel Radcliffe to hit the gym (wolverine has to be stocky, ideally with massive forearms), his star power would probably let them take a chance on a non Hemsworth look. Radcliffe also seems to like out-there roles and it would definitely draw a lot of attention.

If they were thinking out of the box they could maybe cast a non white person (but if height is a sticking point you can guarantee ethnicity will be). I've no idea how tall joe taslim (the raid, warrior etc) is but he has the right physicality and ferociousness to embody a/the wolverine. I'm just not sure how strong his English acting is currently. Then again wolverine doesn't need to be too chatty and he's doing more work in America so his English acting will improve.

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I also thought, though I might be wrong that the whole Jean Grey, Wolverine, Cyclops love triangle thing was more Jean and Cyclops being an item, and Wolverine having a brooding unrequited love for Jean, because basically he ain't no hunk, so can't compete with Cyclops in the hawtness department, as well as not being able to compete personality-wise.

47 minutes ago, red snow said:

Does wolverine have a chip on his soldier about being short? I don't remember it. I mean the whole lost memories (,or returned shitty memories) and being a military lab rat probably over-ride his stature as a prime motivator.

You could probably still call yourself wolverine for having sharp claws and being a vicious bastard. 

I think not being Hugh Jackman will be enough to delineate the two portrayals of Wolverine. Although it would be a nice touch if the actor is short (is the devito campaign still going?). Even better would be people complaining the character was too short after the casting.

Sharp claws isn't a particularly unique feature of the weasely family among carnivora. But the mustelid family of carnivores is among the smallest (in body size and weight) of the carnivore families, so that is a characteristic of its type. Though still not unique. But still, when people (who don't know the X-men but do know their carnivores) hear "wolverine" they think small and mean.

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

But that is the depiction of wolverine that will now be definitive in many people's eyes.

I think the issue is one of Hollywood perception in that because wolverine is a leading character who can hold his own movies they tend to think Hollywood leading man which tends to be tall and good looking.

Paul giamatti, ribisi and tom hollander (not spider-man!) all look the part but Hollywood is reluctant to go that way.

If they could convince Daniel Radcliffe to hit the gym (wolverine has to be stocky, ideally with massive forearms), his star power would probably let them take a chance on a non Hemsworth look. Radcliffe also seems to like out-there roles and it would definitely draw a lot of attention.

If they were thinking out of the box they could maybe cast a non white person (but if height is a sticking point you can guarantee ethnicity will be). I've no idea how tall joe taslim (the raid, warrior etc) is but he has the right physicality and ferociousness to embody a/the wolverine. I'm just not sure how strong his English acting is currently. Then again wolverine doesn't need to be too chatty and he's doing more work in America so his English acting will improve.  

Tom Cruise has been one of Hollywood’s most popular leading men for several decades and he’s basically a hobbit. 

5 minutes ago, red snow said:

Height of the character is a sticking point for me, but not necessarily the actor. But still, I don't care about ethnicity at all. Indeed I think a decent change up for a very long lived character who doesn't age could make for a good slavery narrative, which is a pretty good reason to be mad at the world for a very long time. Wolverine could have been born a slave in the pre-abolition American South. And after seeing The Upside, I think Kevin Hart could pull it off, as well as being able to deliver great comedic moments. Dunno if he's washed off the homophobic stink though, and he's getting on in years, so he may not have convincing longevity as a slow to age character.

5 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Tom Cruise has been one of Hollywood’s most popular leading men for several decades and he’s basically a hobbit. 

But ALWAYS his height is fudged in his movies. Has he ever played a character people are supposed to see as hobbit sized? Usually the impression is that he's above average in height

My preference would have been someone like Joaquin Phoenix or a Russell Crowe type, like Tom Hardy. These guys are all around 5'9 - 5'10, thickly built and look like they could lose their shit over the smallest thing. That is exactly the type of person who should be playing the guy. 

Being short isn't the only characteristic, but not being tall and lean and not looking heroic is pretty important, he needs to a dirty looking angry dude. 

I think we should immediately discount actors who are completely wrong for the role but who are short.. like Radcliffe, and especially Hart (really can't see any real reason to change Wolvies race at this point)

There’s also Kit Harington, who was the leading man on the biggest show in the world for almost a decade. 

It would probably be harder for them to have Logan be hairy, and not particularly attractive, than it would for him to be short, imo. 

23 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Shit.

The internet says he's 2 inches taller than I am.

Screw it. I'm just gonna accept fate and go burglarize a dragon.

Archived