Did Tywin waste his legendary wealth?

Br16

On 6/7/2019 at 2:33 PM, Aebram said:

I'd say Tywin's biggest financial blunder was starting a war.  It seems out of character for him.  He was always so cold and calculating; and he didn't even like Tyrion.  

I was always under the impression that  Tywin used this as an opportunity to get Tyrion killed. Then when he shows up with 300 or so wildling clansmen to fight the Northern army he's actually quite impressed, considering Tyrion brought with him these fighters he can use as a meatshield for his army. 

then sends him off to another likely death by putting him on the weak side of the flank without telling Tyrion the plan, effectively using him as bait. The position was supposed to get swamped so the Northern forces can be attacked on two sides, and driven into the lake. Tyrion was probably meant to drown in that lake.

Clansmen do better than expected, Tyrion survives and the situation has deteriorated at that point when they hear of Whispering Woods & Jaime's capture, his army routed, Battle of the Camps & Robb sitting strong at Riverrun.

Tywin does a cold calculation and decides he actually really needs Tyrion ( as all his power is derived from him) and can use Tyrion's specific abilities in the capital, getting the small council in line and checking Cersei's / Joffrey's perceived foolishness (Neds execution etc).

He became valuable in that moment, after proving himself of worth twice.  and he loves Jaime and will try get him freed.

as to why Tywin didn't just have him outright killed, kinslaying is meant to be a thing in the books i suppose.

This is a non-issue.

George has confirmed that the Lannister control basically unlimited resources, and when you control a never-ending stream of gold then you can use in whatever way you want.

11 hours ago, lrresistable said:

as to why Tywin didn't just have him outright killed, kinslaying is meant to be a thing in the books i suppose.

Tywin keeps Tyrion around because he is Joanna's son. He loved that woman very, very much, and apparently cannot bring himself to slay a creature she gave birth to. If he didn't love her so much he likely wouldn't have shied back from kinslaying. Also, if he knows/believes Tyrion isn't his seed he would never see him as a Lannister if Joanna hadn't been his own first cousin, a Lannister of Casterly Rock herself. That makes him part of the family in a way he would have never been had Tywin's wife been a Marbrand or Lefford or Crakehall.

Archived