Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Ask D&D

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Perhaps the Lannister soldiers are all religious fanatics who are glad to be roasted alive for Cersei, but I have my doubts.  And, if they are, that's seems like yet another example of implausible writing.

And, yes, I have followed the series.

If you followed the series then why are you acting like you don't know how loyal Lannister soldiers are? That's what they showed us, even after the Battle of Goldroad they didn't abandon the city and still fought for Cersei.

Why Lannisters are still loyal to Cersei? I think there are many reasons why, but still that would be a better question than questioning the righteous siege plan.

Edited by RYShh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RYShh said:

If you followed the series then why are you acting like you don't know how loyal Lannister soldiers are? That's what they showed us, even after the Battle of Goldroad they didn't abandon the city and still fought for Cersei.

Why Lannisters are still loyal to Cersei, I think there are many reasons for why, but I think that would be better than questioning the righteous siege plan.

Well, you're ignoring those bits of the series that show Lannister soldiers surrendering.  You're ignoring the fact that soldiers surrendered at the Goldroad, rather than be roasted alive.  You're ignoring that they threw down their arms to Grey Worm and Jon rather than be stabbed.  This is in support of an argument which totally defies any kind of military logic - that Lannister soldiers will let themselves be burned alive by dragons because they are so devoted to Cersei.

And, then, you're ignoring the fact that sieges result in lots of people starving to death, because it doesn't fit your argument.

No military commander, possessing weapons of mass destruction that are capable of taking out their opponent's HQ, would hesitate for a moment in using them.  It's poor writing to have Dany doing things that make little military sense, so as to level the forces between her and Cersei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Well, you're ignoring those bits of the series that show Lannister soldiers surrendering.  You're ignoring the fact that soldiers surrendered at the Goldroad, rather than be roasted alive.  You're ignoring that they threw down their arms to Grey Worm and Jon rather than be stabbed.  This is in support of an argument which totally defies any kind of military logic - that Lannister soldiers will let themselves be burned alive by dragons because they are so devoted to Cersei.

And, then, you're ignoring the fact that sieges result in lots of people starving to death, because it doesn't fit your argument.

No military commander, possessing weapons of mass destruction that are capable of taking out their opponent's HQ, would hesitate for a moment in using them.  It's poor writing to have Dany doing things that make little military sense, so as to level the forces between her and Cersei.

The point is they know what a Dragon did to the Lannisters, that's the point. They knew that. Yet they still didn't abandon the city and still fought until the gates have been breached. They were going to fight until the gates have breached, that's what they didn't want to do, breaching the gates with their army and their dragon, because they didn't want to kill innocents. That's the point, and you still keep insisting on ignoring their point. They already explained why Daenerys shouldn't do that, Tyrion explained, Varys explained even Jon said she shouldn't do that when she asked what should she do in Dragonstone. The question you're asking is already answered many times in the series.

Again, I tried to explain it to you the difference between sieging a castle and sieging a city, but you're either not reading it or not wanting to understand. Castles are easy to hold it, cities are not like that, especially King's Landing where million people lives, they will turn against them easily once they started to get hungry. They couldn't control a million starving people in the city, that's nothing like holding a castle, it's completely different.

It's not poor writing at all, it's just you don't understand the thing they told in the series. It's not like I like D&D's writing, but this is completely fair. All Daenerys should do wait and not hurry, instead she ''kind of forgot'' Euron and get Rhaegal and Missendei killed, then she gets pissed off and attacked the whole city, and it happened exactly like what Tyrion and Varys thought it would, million people died because Daenerys's stupidity.

Edited by RYShh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, RYShh said:

The point is they know what a Dragon did to the Lannisters, that's the point. They knew that. Yet they still didn't abandon the city and still fought until the gates have been breached. They were going to fight until the gates have breached, that's what they didn't want to do, breaching the gates with their army and their dragon, because they didn't want to kill innocents. That's the point, and you still keep insisting on ignoring their point. They already explained why Daenerys shouldn't do that, Tyrion explained, Varys explained even Jon said she shouldn't do that when she asked what should she do in Dragonstone. The question you're asking is already answered many times in the series.

Again, I tried to explain it to you the difference between sieging a castle and sieging a city, but you're either not reading it or not wanting to understand. Castles are easy to hold it, cities are not like that, especially King's Landing where million people lives, they will turn against them easily once they started to get hungry. They couldn't control a million starving people in the city, that's nothing like holding a castle, it's completely different.

It's not poor writing at all, it's just you don't understand the thing they told in the series. It's not like I like D&D's writing, but this is completely fair. All Daenerys should do was waiting and not hurrying, instead she ''kind of forgot'' Euron and get Rhaegal and Missendei killed, then she gets pissed off and attacked the whole city, and it happened exactly like what Tyrion and Varys thought it would, million people died because Daenerys's stupidity.

I'm well aware of what Jon, Tyrion, and Varys said at Dragonstone, and I'm well aware that this advice is militarily stupid.  If I can take out my enemy's HQ with a dragon, a drone, a B52 bomber, I'm going to do so.

I'm not going to put that HQ under siege in the hope that eventually the inhabitants will rise up against their leader.  

Nor am I going to conclude that there is any ethical difference between killing civilians during an attack on my enemy's HQ or killing them by starvation.   The civilians who died in Episode 5 were not collateral damage, but people who died because Dany flew up and down each street torching them, for shit and giggles.

Edited by SeanF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I'm well aware of what Jon, Tyrion, and Varys said at Dragonstone, and I'm well aware that this advice is militarily stupid.  If I can take out my enemy's HQ with a dragon, a drone, a B52 bomber, I'm going to do so.

I'm not going to put that HQ under siege in the hope that eventually the inhabitants will rise up against their leader.  

Nor am I going to conclude that there is any ethical difference between killing civilians during an attack on my enemy's HQ or killing them by starvation.   The civilians who died in Episode 5 were not collateral damage, but people who died because Dany flew up and down each street torching them, for shit and giggles.

Oh right, you can always disagree and you can side with the villains, that's fine. All I am saying they already gave the answer to that question by using Tyrion, Varys and then Jon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Did you draw the cave paintings yourselves?

No, the children of the forest painted them, did we not make that clear? (that isn't my question).  With all the followup we did to that storyline, I really don't understand how people missed that...  That was one the biggest plot points this season.  I mean, think how different the battle of WInterfell would have been without dragonglass.

 

Question: Is Bran the actual villain of the series, having manipulated events to cause the death of hundreds of thousands so he would sit the Iron Throne?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

There are plenty of threads to discuss things in. This is supposed to be a playful Q&A. 

Answer the question above your like you think D&D would & then ask ONE question. 

I'm going to give this a try for you, to get it restarted and your signature line has given me an idea.

Dear Dingbats,

Why did you change "Edd, fetch me a block" to "Olly, get me my sword?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, legba11 said:

No, the children of the forest painted them, did we not make that clear? (that isn't my question).  With all the followup we did to that storyline, I really don't understand how people missed that...  That was one the biggest plot points this season.  I mean, think how different the battle of WInterfell would have been without dragonglass.

 

Question: Is Bran the actual villain of the series, having manipulated events to cause the death of hundreds of thousands so he would sit the Iron Throne?

 

 

OOPS, I tried to restart, didn't see your post.

Answer:  We kinda forgot that you might want answers like that, who cares if Bran was a villain planning all this.  Didn't you notice Dany committing the genoicide? 

Question: 

Dear Dingbats,

Why did you change "Edd, fetch me a block" to "Olly, get me my sword?"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks @Lady Fevre Dream

Well, we knew the line went something like that & wanted to show how creative we are. Besides we weren't sure what a block was or what it would be used for. 

 

Q: Why didn't Jaime & Cersei just take a couple steps to the side to avoid their death?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Q: Why didn't Jaime & Cersei just take a couple steps to the side to avoid their death?

A: Because we wouldn't have thought of doing that and the only person smarter than us is Einstein. And let's face it, Jaime Lannister is no Einstein. We specifically ascribed him an IQ of 67 (because we hate him), which was contagious (he gave it to tyrion).

Q: What was the whole point of the iron bank? And why not make better use of Mark Gatiss?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did Ellaria Sand avenge the murder of her paramour by killing her paramour's brother and nephew?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

Q: What was the whole point of the iron bank? And why not make better use of Mark Gatiss?

Well as you all know, the Iron Bank is where they store all the iron in Essos.  Once it became clear that dragonglass was the key ingredient of this story, the Iron Bank became pointless.  We're pretty sure George will realize this flaw in his story and do the same.  That was a treatment for S7 Ep5 where we introduce the Dragonglass Bank with a woman in charge who is emotionally unstable and is dangerous because of that.  We had to cut that plotline out, if only there was a way we could have had more time.

 

Q: So you hire Ciaran Hinds, a very well regarded actor, to play Mance Rayder  a seemingly important character, but then you ghost him and kill him off with only about 10 total lines of dialogue  What's up with that?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SeanF said:

Why did Ellaria Sand avenge the murder of her paramour by killing her paramour's brother and nephew?

Pick whichever of the following seems most plausible to you: (a) If Oberyn wasn't allowed to live, why should Doran and Trystane get to? (b) You do realize that Dorne is the land of sun, sand, and sex, right? All Dornishfolk are a bit soft in the head. (c) Women, once they get a taste of power, invariably turn into vicious crazy bitches. It is known.

As-yet-unanswered:

15 hours ago, legba11 said:

Question: Is Bran the actual villain of the series, having manipulated events to cause the death of hundreds of thousands so he would sit the Iron Throne?

1 hour ago, legba11 said:

Q: So you hire Ciaran Hinds, a very well regarded actor, to play Mance Rayder  a seemingly important character, but then you ghost him and kill him off with only about 10 total lines of dialogue  What's up with that?. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, legba11 said:

Q: So you hire Ciaran Hinds, a very well regarded actor, to play Mance Rayder  a seemingly important character, but then you ghost him and kill him off with only about 10 total lines of dialogue  What's up with that?. 

"Mance is such an crucial character in the story and we wanted to give him justice, so we gave him this very dramatic death. Also we wanted to subvert expectations, as it seems a bit obvious that we will want to keep a good actor around"

While really thinking:

"WHO DAT?"/ "Damn, this dude was costly and we sure did not know what to do with this character."

My question to D&D:

Could you please describe the thought process behind the decision to have people hide in the crypts during the battle of Winterfell? And all of the characters who have seen the army of the dead being happy with this plan?

Edited by Dokivi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dokivi said:

 

Could you please describe the thought process behind the decision to have people hide in the crypts during the battle of Winterfell? And all of the characters who have seen the army of the dead being happy with this plan?

We needed some dead on living killing action you could actually see.

Was the existence of different settings for dragon fire from 'blow up rockwalls and boats' to 'slowly cook folks until they look like Luke Skywalker's aunt and Uncle' foreshadowing to Drogon's superior intelligence?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Was the existence of different settings for dragon fire from 'blow up rockwalls and boats' to 'slowly cook folks until they look like Luke Skywalker's aunt and Uncle' foreshadowing to Drogon's superior intelligence?

Ah, finally someone who understands us! Yes, yes, Drogon is super intelligent, we're so happy that you were able to pick up on that. Drogon is a semi-god. He can do anything. A dragon in the machine if you will. 


How was Cersei able to become ruling queen even though her last son died? Why didn't we get to see how the people of King's Landing reacted to her ascension to the throne? Were there rebellions? Or was the people happy with the arrangement? Even if her power depended on the strength of the Lannister army, shouldn't there have been some among them who would prefer to support Jamie over her, just on the basis of him being male (and not having blown up the sept) and plot to put him in power?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Vanadis said:

How was Cersei able to become ruling queen even though her last son died? Why didn't we get to see how the people of King's Landing reacted to her ascension to the throne? Were there rebellions? Or was the people happy with the arrangement? Even if her power depended on the strength of the Lannister army, shouldn't there have been some among them who would prefer to support Jamie over her, just on the basis of him being male (and not having blown up the sept) and plot to put him in power?

We have clearly established through the Bad Pussy storyline in Dorne that assassinating the ruler means you are universally accepted as the new ruler.  Tommen's death was an own-goal, so the credit in the boxscore goes to the nearest person.  Cersei.  We didn't have time to develop this story, but she is also head of the church through this same process.  The people loved this as she was much better than the "Church Council of the Four Guys who Quartered the Fatty High Septon During the Riot" or CCFGQFHSDR as it was commonly known.

 

Q: How did snow suddenly hit King's Landing after Dany's attack on a bright, sunny day?  I mean it was a lot of very cold snow.  Enough to cover a dragon, which is a massive creature of "Fire made Flesh"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, legba11 said:

Q: How did snow suddenly hit King's Landing after Dany's attack on a bright, sunny day?  I mean it was a lot of very cold snow.  Enough to cover a dragon, which is a massive creature of "Fire made Flesh

It was plainly shown in Dany's vision in the Houses of the Undying that some sort of white stuff would be falling. If it's snow or ash we will leave it for the audience, we can't do everything around here!

 It just looks really cool, yeah?

 

Q: How many dothraki are left? What will they do now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...