Who got the most screwed over

1 hour ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Ah, the mysteries of friendship. The surviving iota of s.o.b. Tyrion. The shit who calls a man friend and then constantly shits on him because the poor dollop head suffered genital mutilation. Hahahahahaha.

His job was to be Tyrion’s best friend, even though Tyrion got him killed. 

Varys was head of the Tyrion Fan Club, he certainly wasn’t just using him as a pawn in a game to install a false monarch on the throne, that would be stupid hahahaha

I feel that House Tully, House Tyrell, House Martell and House Greyjoy were completely screwed as entities. Characters like Edmiure Tully, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Elaria Sand, The Sandsnakes, Euron Greyjoy, Asha Greyjoy and even The Blackfish were ruined because they made them cartoonish, stereotypical and straight dump which I HATED TO DEATH. 

Then come some main characters like Tyrion Lanniser, Littlefinger and Varys that were completely destroyed after season 5.

Daenerys was destroyed from day 1, they wrote her completely wrong imo. 

Jaimie/Brienne where not that good without the Lady Stoneheart storyline.

Cersei shouldn't have gone that far into the story but since fAegon was erased from the face of the earth she was dragged into awful storylines that made no sense.

Euron... I won;t even start on him, if you have read the books you know he is completely different.

The fate of Stannis was also handled very poorly. He is not an endgame character imo but they didn't do him justice.

As for all the characters they cut... well there are so many mistakes in this series that it's pointless to take this convo further.

Stannis. D&D certainly bungled a lot of character arcs, and some characters were translated horribly from book to screen, but Stannis was a character they had a very low opinion of to begin with and coloured his depiction in the show with their clear bias against him. The showrunners having such an extreme interpretation of a very grey character -- boiling him down, to quote Benioff, to an "unquestionably terrible king" without empathy or humanity -- did him an enormous disservice, essentially making him an outright villain long before they had cause to. His more humane qualities in the books are either downplayed or absent entirely, while his negative ones are jacked up all the way. It's like they tried really hard to make viewers hate this guy, and it pleased me to see how that didn't take. I went from apathetic on the character to rooting for him purely out of spite for the contempt D&D had for him.

On 6/22/2019 at 5:46 AM, Jamie Lannister said:

did him an enormous disservice, essentially making him an outright villain long before they had cause to. His more humane qualities in the books are either downplayed or absent entirely, while his negative ones are jacked up all the way.

It's accepted that there are serious differences between book and show. I agree that Stannis was turned into a worse person in the show. However, I liked his portrayal in the show. It was entertaining. 

I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but both Renly and Loras got hit pretty hard with the show playing up hard gay stereotypes with the two characters.  Especially how the show made them both seemingly wildly promiscuous rather than them having some unique caring and committed relationship.

2 hours ago, Minsc said:

I haven't seen them mentioned yet, but both Renly and Loras got hit pretty hard with the show playing up hard gay stereotypes with the two characters.  Especially how the show made them both seemingly wildly promiscuous rather than them having some unique caring and committed relationship.

Combined with Renly being unable to have sex with Magaery, unless it's buggery.

19 hours ago, Minsc said:

I have mixed feelings on this view.  For the most part the relationship between Renly and Loras seemed like an actual relationship (the shaving scene, the way Loras reacted to Renly’s death, etc).  Renly wasn’t in much of the show but out of the six whole seasons Loras was in, his homosexuality overall was definitely treated as a novelty.  The show failed in general to make Renly the tall and handsome manly man he was in the books but that isn’t really a criticism of his relationship with Loras.  

16 hours ago, SeanF said:

Combined with Renly being unable to have sex with Magaery, unless it's buggery.

Given the context of the scene, Margaery was probably lying to Joffrey about this. 

3 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

I have mixed feelings on this view.  For the most part the relationship between Renly and Loras seemed like an actual relationship (the shaving scene, the way Loras reacted to Renly’s death, etc).  Renly wasn’t in much of the show but out of the six whole seasons Loras was in, his homosexuality overall was definitely treated as a novelty.  The show failed in general to make Renly the tall and handsome manly man he was in the books but that isn’t really a criticism of his relationship with Loras.  

One of my issues is they have a scene where Olenna basically says that Renly slept with every stable boy in King's Landing or something of that sort.  Now, I understand that Olenna is likely being snide it still works to further the image of Renly and Loras's relationship as not being all that committed to each other.

5 hours ago, Minsc said:

One of my issues is they have a scene where Olenna basically says that Renly slept with every stable boy in King's Landing or something of that sort.  Now, I understand that Olenna is likely being snide it still works to further the image of Renly and Loras's relationship as not being all that committed to each other.

Did she?  What season was that?  I just rewatched 1-4 and I didn’t hear this line.  Either I missed it or it’s something from season five or beyond.

10 minutes ago, YoungGriff89 said:

Did she?  What season was that?  I just rewatched 1-4 and I didn’t hear this line.  Either I missed it or it’s something from season five or beyond.

I think it was around the plot when Loras is arrested.

edit:S5E6

On 6/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, Plain, Simple Tailor said:

In comparison to the books, who did the show most heinously misinterpret? 

Another thing is appearence. I think Dany (and by extension the other Targs) sometimes looked weird with those obvious wigs. Moreover, the dark eyebrows.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:22 PM, Dreadscythe95 said:

I feel that House Tully, House Tyrell, House Martell and House Greyjoy were completely screwed as entities. Characters like Edmiure Tully, Loras Tyrell, Mace Tyrell, Elaria Sand, The Sandsnakes, Euron Greyjoy, Asha Greyjoy and even The Blackfish were ruined because they made them cartoonish, stereotypical and straight dump which I HATED TO DEATH. 

Not every difference to the book is "ruining". Yes, there are differences but some are even well done -- considering they had to adapt the content for a TV show.

GoT has more important characters than any other show and even more characters were not possible. 

Edmure Tully is a little bit too dumb here maybe, but it was fine with me. The story did not suffer from it.

Loras Tyrell was a splendid character in-show. What didn't you like, just considering the show? He was an excellent fighter, a smart man, a homosexual without typical cliches. Fine with me.

Mace Tyrell was just a side-character and I agree maybe a little bit too dumb and ridiculous. They could have had him a bit more serious.

Elaria Sand was great. The character was ideal for the show, just a side-kick but with some good scenes. What more to expect from a show?

Euron was ruined somehow, much too much like comedy in the end. I didn't like that at all. 

2 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Not every difference to the book is "ruining". Yes, there are differences but some are even well done -- considering they had to adapt the content for a TV show.

GoT has more important characters than any other show and even more characters were not possible. 

Edmure Tully is a little bit too dumb here maybe, but it was fine with me. The story did not suffer from it.

Loras Tyrell was a splendid character in-show. What didn't you like, just considering the show? He was an excellent fighter, a smart man, a homosexual without typical cliches. Fine with me.

Mace Tyrell was just a side-character and I agree maybe a little bit too dumb and ridiculous. They could have had him a bit more serious.

Elaria Sand was great. The character was ideal for the show, just a side-kick but with some good scenes. What more to expect from a show?

Euron was ruined somehow, much too much like comedy in the end. I didn't like that at all. 

Loras was ridiculous and a completely different chatacter from the books. And he was a homosexual full of cliches. Do you forget that he was arrested because of him sleeping with that man of Littlefinger? He was also shaving Renly's armpits (lol). He was both cliche and stereotypical. They made his whole presonality revolve around that.

Edmiure Tully was AWFUL. They made him stupid. The changes may not affect the series but they ruin the characters we love. In the last episode of the series Sansa told him to shut up for god's sake and he is the Lord of Riverrun.

Elaria Sand was a very bad character. Everything she does is completely wrong, like the whole Dorne storyline and she is completely different in the books. Not to mention that she was cringey as fuck.

31 minutes ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

And he was a homosexual full of cliches.

Really? He was masculine and an excellent fighter. Not so much cliche for me.

32 minutes ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

he was arrested because of him sleeping with that man of Littlefinger

Homophobia in medieval times is not cliche but realistic.

32 minutes ago, Dreadscythe95 said:

They made his whole presonality revolve around that.

Not really. It revolved around sword fighting, too.

Archived