What is the importance of the Hrakkar, the White Lion?

The last six visions before the final one to which she succumbs represent: 1) Trying to save Drogo upon whom she was nearly totally dependent; 2) her longing for the sheltered days of her early childhood; 3) her dragons hatching; 4) the punishment exacted on the wine seller, the man sent by the usurper to kill her and her unborn son, the action that convinced Drogo to begin preparations for an invasion of the Seven Kingdoms;5) a prized beast hunted by Dothraki; and 6) the wise women of the Dothraki paying her homage.

The first two of these six visions show Daenerys's early dependence on others. The second two show her dragons hatching, and Daenerys beginning to act the way the blood of dragon would be expected to act. The third two show what appears to be happening at the end of Dance, where Jhaqo finds her in the Dothraki Sea (we can associate Daenerys with the white lion since she wears the pelt of the hrakkar), and perhaps, what will happen in Winds, when Daenerys, the mother of dragons, and Drogon, the stallion who mounts the world, unite the the Dothraki into a single khalasar. 

On 6/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:
On 6/7/2019 at 8:23 PM, Morte said:

The pelt because of this:

coin of Alexander the Great

and on the root this:

Statue of Herakles

The vision: May be of the hrakkar, but also may be on of the Lannister brothers. Context? :dunno: We'll see.

It's funny that you brought up Alexander the Great and Hercules.

I've always been of the thought that Daenerys Targaryen is the result of George R.R. Martin asking "what if Alexander the Great was female," "what if Alexander the Great was anti-slavery," "what if Alexander the Great had weapons of mass destruction" and put those questions in a high fantasy setting with dragons, wizards, zombies and magic trees.

I agree.

Her campaign in Essos does have similarities to Alexander; and if she ends up magdeburgerising a deviant city, it would imho be prove (together with the pelt and her filly) for him at least taking inspirations here.

On 6/14/2019 at 8:21 AM, Lost Melnibonean said:

he third two show what appears to be happening at the end of Dance, where Jhaqo finds her in the Dothraki Sea (we can associate Daenerys with the white lion since she wears the pelt of the hrakkar),

Ah, an interesting take that the white lion is Dany lost in the Dothraki sea at the end of Dance. :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Ah, an interesting take that the white lion is Dany lost in the Dothraki sea at the end of Dance. :thumbsup:

It's not accurate because Dany was wearing Meereenese fashion when she left the city with Drogon.  So no, the white lion is not her.  There is only one candidate, Jaime Lannister.  He will be executed for a future treason, like he doesn't already deserve it, and the pelt is the trophy of a Dany + Dothraki  triumph over the lion.

On 6/16/2019 at 11:46 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

It's not accurate because Dany was wearing Meereenese fashion when she left the city with Drogon. 

Dany discards the tokar in the pit when she orders it closed, indicating she's had it with the Meereenese. She's in her undergarments (a linen undertunic) at this point. 

On 6/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

You betcha. B)

On 6/16/2019 at 2:16 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

It's not accurate because Dany was wearing Meereenese fashion when she left the city with Drogon.  So no, the white lion is not her.  There is only one candidate, Jaime Lannister.  He will be executed for a future treason, like he doesn't already deserve it, and the pelt is the trophy of a Dany + Dothraki  triumph over the lion.

21 hours ago, Bowen 747 said:

Dany is the Black Dragon.  The White Lions are the Lannisters.  Yeah so she will skin at least one of the Lannisters.  The lion in the tall grass has to be Tyrion.  He will die for his part in the second betrayal.  

It's a good theory, it's the leading theory, and it's been around for years. I like mine better. :dunno:

On 6/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, Ghost+Nymeria4Eva said:

Dany discards the tokar in the pit when she orders it closed, indicating she's had it with the Meereenese. She's in her undergarments (a linen undertunic) at this point. 

The white lion is clearly Jaime Lannister.  White, for the KG.  Lion for being a Lannister.  He either gets killed by the Dothraki or better even, by dragon fire.  I'm down with slow-roasting the Kingslayer.  

13 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The white lion is clearly Jaime Lannister.  White, for the KG.  Lion for being a Lannister.  He either gets killed by the Dothraki or better even, by dragon fire.  I'm down with slow-roasting the Kingslayer.  

I get what you mean but at the same time the only colour Jaime is ever associated with is gold. He has a golden sword and a golden armour, his hair is gold and he is Tywins golden son.

All I can think of is that one time Cersei said he looked drained when all in white, which rather empathises that white isn't his color. Thats my take at least.

15 hours ago, Sigella said:

I get what you mean but at the same time the only colour Jaime is ever associated with is gold. He has a golden sword and a golden armour, his hair is gold and he is Tywins golden son.

All I can think of is that one time Cersei said he looked drained when all in white, which rather empathises that white isn't his color. Thats my take at least.

He wears black on red a couple of times, at the welcoming feast for Robert at Winterfell and on his way to Riverrun from King's Landing in Feast. 

2 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

He wears black on red a couple of times, at the welcoming feast for Robert at Winterfell and on his way to Riverrun from King's Landing in Feast. 

That is a curious combo, thanks for pointing it out.

21 hours ago, Sigella said:

The connection between KG white and Lion is too strong.  If we take "white" in isolation, yes, you can be right.  However, when you put the two together, understand that this context is about an execution (the naked man getting dragged was executed for attempted assassination of the rightful queen of Westeros and a Khaleesi of the Dothraki people) of somebody who wronged Khaleesi.  Jaime is the white lion of the KG.  The vision is heavy on cloak.  The white lion pelt, the cloak.  The white of the KG, another trophy pelt. 

15 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

The connection between KG white and Lion is too strong.  If we take "white" in isolation, yes, you can be right.  However, when you put the two together, understand that this context is about an execution (the naked man getting dragged was executed for attempted assassination of the rightful queen of Westeros and a Khaleesi of the Dothraki people) of somebody who wronged Khaleesi.  Jaime is the white lion of the KG.  The vision is heavy on cloak.  The white lion pelt, the cloak.  The white of the KG, another trophy pelt. 

I agree that out of the KG Jaime is the most likely white lion. But I'm not sold that he is the best match to represent the white lion in general, due to being a gold lion. If his hair turns white I'll fully accept your argument, though :) 

On 6/21/2019 at 12:05 AM, The Lord of the Crossing said:

Jaime is the white lion of the KG.  The vision is heavy on cloak.  The white lion pelt, the cloak.  The white of the KG, another trophy pelt. 

The question I am pondering since, well, almost ever, is whether the trophy isn't Jaime as a KG in her service, as the vision stands between the dead poisoner and the crones creeping from the lake (which is most likely the vision of her taking control over the Dothraki).

The brazier was cold again by the time Khal Drogo returned. Cohollo was leading a packhorse behind him, with the carcass of a great white lion slung across its back. Above, the stars were coming out. The khal laughed as he swung down off his stallion and showed her the scars on his leg where the hrakkar had raked him through his leggings. "I shall make you a cloak of its skin, moon of my life," he swore.
{Daenerys VI AGOT}

It's definitely about Jaime.
The scars on Drogo legs caused by the white lion parallels the scarred legs of Bran caused by Jaime.
It may even have something to do with Scar from the Lion King ... Simba's evil usurping uncle (who is also loosely based on King Claudias from Hamlet).

Some of you guys think the hrakkar pelt foreshadows Dany avenging her family by killing Jaime as a trophy in the future.

I think the white lion pelt she wears foreshadows Jaime protecting Dany in the future ... coming to her rescue at some point.

Dany had named [Jorah] the first of her Queensguard . . . and when Mormont's gruff counsel and the omens agreed, her course was clear. She called her people together and mounted her silver mare. Her hair had burned away in Drogo's pyre, so her handmaids garbed her in the skin of the hrakkar Drogo had slain, the white lion of the Dothraki sea. Its fearsome head made a hood to cover her naked scalp, its pelt a cloak that flowed across her shoulders and down her back. The cream-colored dragon sunk sharp black claws into the lion's mane and coiled its tail around her arm, while Ser Jorah took his accustomed place by her side.
{Daenerys I ACOK}

The white lion may have something to do with Viserion too ... maybe even Mormont as well.

For fun: Have you guys seen the Lion King musical?
Its fearsome head made a hood to cover her naked scalp, its pelt a cloak that flowed across her shoulders and down her back.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 3:39 AM, Morte said:

The question I am pondering since, well, almost ever, is whether the trophy isn't Jaime as a KG in her service, as the vision stands between the dead poisoner and the crones creeping from the lake (which is most likely the vision of her taking control over the Dothraki).

I never thought of this.  I suppose it is possible the KG under Jaime Lannister will serve her and bend to her will.  That is a trophy of sorts. 

On 6/21/2019 at 9:20 AM, Sigella said:

I agree that out of the KG Jaime is the most likely white lion. But I'm not sold that he is the best match to represent the white lion in general, due to being a gold lion. If his hair turns white I'll fully accept your argument, though :) 

It's not to do with his hair.  It's the white uniform of the KG.  Everybody's hair turns white eventually.  

12 hours ago, The Lord of the Crossing said:

It's not to do with his hair.  It's the white uniform of the KG.  Everybody's hair turns white eventually.  

There are plenty of characters named for the colour of their hair:

The Grey Lion (some Lannister with grey hair ser Arlan jousted with)

Ulf the White (white haired dragonseed from the Dance)

Black Walder (black haired Walder Frey)

The Red Widow (red haired lady Rowan)

Red Ronnet (red haired Connington)

But I don't know any character named for the color of their uniforms (except Renly's short-lived rainbowguard). 

I don’t know if this association is intentional, but some of the animal pelts that appear throughout the books seem to be a combination of the sigil of one family/ person/ institution, and the field colour of another, like...

White lion (Dany) = Lannister + Stark

Red wolf (Jon Con) = Stark + Lannister/ Blackfyre (?)

Shadowcat (Tyrion) = Night’s watch/Benjen + Catelyn

A fusion of the foes/ people they encountered or that otherwise have influenced their storyline?

Or alternatively past and future houses/ alliances/ marriages? It definitely reminds me of the westerosi wedding ceremony... Alys’ wedding in particular, since her cloak is also a combination of 2 families

Archived