Golden Company Exiles

5 hours ago, blindaviator94 said:

Will any of the Golden Company exiles become important to the story? Do you believe any will reclaim ancestral titles or holdings?

I think so, but giving ancient castles away will not be appreciated by all the lords of westeros. Its also the question if this are really exciled lords or people who uses these names or take advantage of those names. This can cost some big problems i think! 

12 hours ago, Seaserpent said:

I think so, but giving ancient castles away will not be appreciated by all the lords of westeros. Its also the question if this are really exciled lords or people who uses these names or take advantage of those names. This can cost some big problems i think! 

I think this Aegon plot line will be exciting but would end in tears. The hidden prince trained in secret to be perfect, and then returning to reclaim his birthright from tyranny with the aid of valiant loyalists sounds like too much of a trope to me. GRRM will subvert it in my view. Other commenters propose that Young Griff might fall at the hands of Robert Strong (undead Mountain), and I feel that would be a very GRRM ending. 

10 hours ago, Br16 said:

I think this Aegon plot line will be exciting but would end in tears. The hidden prince trained in secret to be perfect, and then returning to reclaim his birthright from tyranny with the aid of valiant loyalists sounds like too much of a trope to me. GRRM will subvert it in my view. Other commenters propose that Young Griff might fall at the hands of Robert Strong (undead Mountain), and I feel that would be a very GRRM ending. 

It would be rather ironic that a Targaryen is killed by a man who is falsely claiming to be a member of House Strong.

Robert is going to have to get through the faith's champions. You think an undead will go unnoticed by the High Septon, the Faith Militant and nobles who will be watching the trials and Black Balaq  with his Dragonbone archers ready to ambush Cersci, her guards and Robert? I expect Margery to survive, welcome Aegon and take a seat next to him while  Cersci Robert and Tommen meet their end (kinda too bad for Tommen).

Answering the question regarding the golden company exiles, the lords will be well taken care off, the bastards less so

4 hours ago, Gerg Sknab said:

Robert is going to have to get through the faith's champions. You think an undead will go unnoticed by the High Septon, the Faith Militant and nobles who will be watching the trials and Black Balaq  with his Dragonbone archers ready to ambush Cersci, her guards and Robert? I expect Margery to survive, welcome Aegon and take a seat next to him while  Cersci Robert and Tommen meet their end (kinda too bad for Tommen).

Answering the question regarding the golden company exiles, the lords will be well taken care off, the bastards less so

Good point, however, my gut feeling is that this won't happen in sequence. I think what could happen is that as the trial is underway, everybody's plots simultaneously clash. Perhaps Just as Cersei and Faith are about to erupt into a fight, Young Griff and his troops infiltrate the city with the help of Varys (as everyone is distracted by the trial and Connignton would probably want to get to the capital asap to beat greyscale) and all hell breaks lose. Then in the panic and battle, on the cusp of victory, Young Griff encounters Robert Strong and falls, and the city falls into sectarian chaos with rioting looters,  Faith militant , leaderless and angry GC, Reachmen and House Lannister Guardsmen/Gregor dividing the city.  

On 6/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, Br16 said:

I am a believer that Aegon will first sit the throne before Daenaerys and in the end Aemon (Jon Snow) So it will end in tears.

6 hours ago, Seaserpent said:

I am a believer that Aegon will first sit the throne before Daenaerys and in the end Aemon (Jon Snow) So it will end in tears.

A very reasonable prediction. However, I always have this feeling that Daenerys will never sit the throne or have a proper coronation. She's more like someone who would do well in some rough and tumble political environment where people compete to be elected. Its very hard to fit her into any model of stereotypical sovereigns. She's not all around cruel like Maegor, She's not as realpolitik competent as Aegon I, she is also not like some "perfect prince" type royalty such as Good Queen Alysanne, Y Griff or Rhaegar. Most Monarchs are either widely loved, widely hated or treated with indifference as a stern or temperate safe pair of hands. However, Daenerys' case is very partisan. She has a large base that adores her because of her platform, and a strong opposition who abhors her deeply because of her ideology. I think she'll do better running for elections that sitting on Iron Throne. 

Probably Aegon will be the winner of the game of thrones for some time, so he might give some unoccupied castles to his allies or strip castles/lands from Lannisters/Tyrells/their allies (Dragonstone, Brightwater Keep, Storms End, Darry, Harrenhall, Riverrun). Daenerys will be the one to kill him 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:02 AM, Br16 said:

A very reasonable prediction. However, I always have this feeling that Daenerys will never sit the throne or have a proper coronation. She's more like someone who would do well in some rough and tumble political environment where people compete to be elected. Its very hard to fit her into any model of stereotypical sovereigns. She's not all around cruel like Maegor, She's not as realpolitik competent as Aegon I, she is also not like some "perfect prince" type royalty such as Good Queen Alysanne, Y Griff or Rhaegar. Most Monarchs are either widely loved, widely hated or treated with indifference as a stern or temperate safe pair of hands. However, Daenerys' case is very partisan. She has a large base that adores her because of her platform, and a strong opposition who abhors her deeply because of her ideology. I think she'll do better running for elections that sitting on Iron Throne. 

We allready see in Mereen that she is not fit to rule, but i can see a dance-like scenario, where she defeats or banish Aegon and sit the throne like Rhaenery as a bitter lady. Maybe she ends roughly the same way with dragon fire, maybe through Aemon (Jon).

• 3 weeks later...

Laswell Peake ‘still has friends in the Reach’ who could help him reclaim Starpike or the other two castles formerly of the Peakes. Franklyn Flowers the ‘brown apple Fossoway’ could be given Cider Hall as payback for the Fossoways raping his mother.

On 6/8/2019 at 11:17 AM, Br16 said:

I think it is more likely Daenerys will kill him, which will make it her darkest moment (she is currently on a path to villain) and starting her redemption arc. But yeah, as much as I hate it, I do not see him holding the throne for long.

• 5 weeks later...

I think JC will prove important to legitimizing Aegon to the lords of the realm, and die after ensuring he is entrenched in Westeros before Daenaerys arrives with fire and blood. In addition, I feel as though Aegon will definitely be important to the story, especially the determination of whether he is legit or not, as that will have a significant impact on Daenaerys's plotline. 

On 6/7/2019 at 11:26 AM, blindaviator94 said:

Will any of the Golden Company exiles become important to the story? Do you believe any will reclaim ancestral titles or holdings?

Jon Connington is obviously important, and Homeless Harry is too since he commands, at least nominally, one the single most powerful military forces currently in Westeros. Haldon Halfmaester and Lysono Maar are playing important roles too. 

I think fAegon is going to topple Cersei and the Lannisters, ending that plot arc, and complicating Dany's.  Cersei's arc is pretty much done.  She got everything she wanted, and watched it crumble before her eyes.  I bet she goes out with a big bang though.

On 8/15/2019 at 11:05 PM, nyser1 said:

Aren't a lot of the GC folks descendants or claimed descendants of actual exiles? They can take the names they want? I.e. could have a TomBrady of House Stark.

Yeah, there are some such in the company, most notably them Mudds, Strongs, and Coles (and possibly also them Mandrakes and Lothstons). But there are also actual descendants of Westerosi exiles - like Strickland, who is descended from some guy who went into exile with Bittersteel - and there are men who actually bear bastard names like Rivers (our buddy Tristan), Flowers (our buddy Franklyn), Hills (our buddy Caspor), and Stones (our buddy Humfrey).

One would assume that those men would not bear bastard names if they weren't bastards - and if they are bastards they are definitely Westerosi by birth, born in the Riverlands, the Reach, the West, and the Vale, respectively, or else they wouldn't bear those specific bastard names.

All this makes it very unlikely that those men have any Blackfyre veteran roots - unless we weirdly assume Blackfyre partisans secretly migrated back to Westeros to father bastards there who then later moved with them back to Westeros. And for Franklyn we can already confirm that nothing of that sort ever happened - we already know the backstory of that guy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 8:22 PM, Seaserpent said:

We allready see in Mereen that she is not fit to rule, but i can see a dance-like scenario, where she defeats or banish Aegon and sit the throne like Rhaenery as a bitter lady. Maybe she ends roughly the same way with dragon fire, maybe through Aemon (Jon).

We've not seen that, we've seen she commits mistakes, we also see she made good calls and is ready to compromise.

Archived