Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Summer Bodies (TBD)

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Anyone got any advice/exercises to ease hip aches and pains? I’ve been waking up full of aches and pains in my hips lately and it makes even walking pretty uncomfortable

Could it be a mobility issue? If so, I would suggest you look up some hip mobility exercises online. Doing those is a bit boring but I've found them pretty useful for both exercise and even more so in every day life. It made playing on the floor with a one year old (rolling around, getting up, lifting her of the floor etc.) much easier.

On 10/9/2019 at 4:36 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Anyone got any advice/exercises to ease hip aches and pains? I’ve been waking up full of aches and pains in my hips lately and it makes even walking pretty uncomfortable

Yoga will help open up your hips and most likely help relieve pain.  Find a slow, hatha, or yin class near you and go a couple times a week.  I prefer it heated (103-105) since it opens me up more, but any class should be able to help.

Arms & shoulders today.  100 military presses, 100 high pulls, 50 bicep curls, 50 tricep pushups.  It's crazy how much that works my arms.

I went to a startlingly intense random yoga class across from my hotel yesterday. I'm not exactly not able to move today, but can definitely feel it. (It's so hot here and the humidity is so high, it was probably close to being heated, which was kind of nice once I'd settled into it.) They've got another class tomorrow...lets see if I get my act together enough to go.

THanks all. I guess 12-14 years of gymnastics coupled with various other bodily abuses over the year is catching up to me. I’ll give your suggestions a try

17 hours ago, aceluby said:

Arms & shoulders today.  100 military presses, 100 high pulls, 50 bicep curls, 50 tricep pushups.  It's crazy how much that works my arms.

Are you just talking total reps regardless of number of sets?  These numbers still sound wild.  

I did military press the other day and just did three sets of 9 or so and shut it down before I strained too hard to mind the elbow issue.  

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

How many of you could run 1k in the time he just averaged over the marathon? 

I might be able to do 1k at that speed but I definitely couldn't do 5k in 14 minutes. Doing a marathon at that speed is insane.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I could go maybe a mile on a really good day.

What an incredible feat. Kipchoge will go down with the greats in sport and athletics, if he wasn't doing that before. Really glad I managed to switch it on for the last 10 minutes - this is probably the single greatest achievement in running history. I hope he tries is at an official event now. 

I don't really race short distances, but on the occasions that I've tried, my best 1km has been 3:40-something. Just under a minute slower than his average pace over the course of the marathon. I'm hoping to do a sub-6 mile at some point this year, which is just under 90s/mile slower than his average pace. Truly incredible. And Kipchoge's not bad either.

Truly insane. My only solace is that my half marathon PR is still slightly under the marathon record!

I think I could manage about 200m at that pace.

Apparently it's all because of those fancy new Nike shoes. But in case of the women's record it is an official world record. As far as the men's record is concerned, Kipchoge's 2018 time run at the Berlin Marathon still holds. Of course, 2:01:39 is just as insane as the time he ran in Vienna. 

On 10/12/2019 at 11:43 AM, ljkeane said:

I might be able to do 1k at that speed but I definitely couldn't do 5k in 14 minutes. Doing a marathon at that speed is insane.

I was timekeeping at a parkrun yesterday and not a single one of the over 500 runners did it in 14 minutes.

4 hours ago, Denvek said:

I was timekeeping at a parkrun yesterday and not a single one of the over 500 runners did it in 14 minutes.

Yeah. At my local parkrun, the fastest pace was 17:XX out of ~650 people. There are sometimes a few runners who turn up regularly and do it in the 16s, and might have a PB in the 15s, but the number of people who can do a sub-15 minute parkrun even among club runners has to be quite small. It's ludicrously fast.

Speaking of ludicrously fast, I am somewhat far from that at the moment - it's been a very slow week. After my week mostly off, I ramped back up to 24km, but only the 5k I did was remotely quick. I managed 11km today at 4:59/km, but I was absolutely dead on my feet by the end. My heart rate was nearly at 190 on that last split, even though it was half downhill (granted, off the back of a split that was half uphill). However hard it was, anything below 5:00/km counts as alright in my book, so I'm not too disappointed even though I felt naff. This week I should be back up to 30-something km, and I'm going to set at least one session aside for 400m repeats. The only pace I can comfortably find by feel is 5:00/km, so I will try to get used to something a bit faster for short distances.

Return to workouts for me this week, after September was ruined by travel and the common cold (twice). 

I was in the gym Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.  Lifting is going pretty well but aerobic stamina is still reduced after those viruses, so I’ve been doing some rowing too after weights to try and build back some cardio stamina. 

I had low energy and felt reluctant to go each time, but I remembered how it always goes better once I’m there and get started.  I’m so glad I had the resolve to get back to it. 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:02 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

THanks all. I guess 12-14 years of gymnastics coupled with various other bodily abuses over the year is catching up to me. I’ll give your suggestions a try

Now I feel really stupid, suggesting mobility exercises to a gymnast :lol: 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:48 AM, BigFatCoward said:

I'm pretty sure 1k in under 3 minutes was well out of my reach even when I was in my best long distance running shape. At that period I remember one training where we were doing 3 sets of 3kms and I finished all three right on 12 minute mark but I don't remember ever running faster than that.

On 10/12/2019 at 2:19 AM, Triskele said:

Are you just talking total reps regardless of number of sets?  These numbers still sound wild.  

I did military press the other day and just did three sets of 9 or so and shut it down before I strained too hard to mind the elbow issue.  

Total # of reps.  I'm doing a German Volume Training program for the next 6 weeks, which means a superset of two 10x10 compound movements (chest/back, quads/glutes, shoulders/arms) and then a 3x15 superset of two isolated movements - with 90 seconds of rest between each superset.

Monday is chest/back, but last week the pushups were a bit too easy so I went with a 10x12 with pushups and 10x10 reverse fly's.  Isolations were 3x15 chest fly and 3x15 bent row.

10 weeks into my 12 week program and am down 10 lbs, but have increased in strength significantly, so I'd guess 15 lbs of fat lost and ~5 lbs of muscle gained.  Starting to actually see some results now.

Couple of 5ks down this week, both at a steady pace. 

I wasn't as far gone as I'd worried with the press-ups. No difficulty in pumping out 30-50 per night, and more than that I can't be bothered with just yet.