Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Summer Bodies (TBD)

Anyone thinking of dropping £240 on the magic new Nike trainers?  I'd be interested to see how they impact on the times of a normal person.

56 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Anyone thinking of dropping £240 on the magic new Nike trainers?  I'd be interested to see how they impact on the times of a normal person.

With the weight of £240 lifted from your person suspect your time would improve. 

That is an insane amount to me. Don't see why a recreational runner would spend that much on a pair of shoes, but I guess there are plenty of people willing to do it.

The most expensive training shoes I ever bought cost around 80-85€, a pair of Reebok Crossfit Nano 6. Been using them for close to 3 years now, so I guess it's time to change them. My running shoes were usually in 50-60€ range and I'd change them yearly.

The Adidas Boost runners (or sneakers here) cost $200.  Those are just regular running shoes for casual running or comfortable daily wear.  I’m pretty sure the equivalent Nike’s cost about the same.  Boost are more nattily styled than the slightly cheaper and more basic Adidas Bounce line.  But either way, I don’t think you can get a pair of Adidas or Nike here for less than $100, and generally they’re well north of that.

Adidas Boost are really comfortable though.  I keep a pair just for wearing at home, like slippers, and another couple of pairs for walking to and from my office.  They definitely wear out within two years of that amount of wear time.  

On 10/18/2019 at 2:23 AM, BigFatCoward said:

For recreational runners the marginal gains you get from them will be massively eclisped by pretty much anything else you could spend your money / time on. So no, I certainly won't be dropping stupid cash on them.

But I do know a few people who've raced in the Vaporflys and they  are meant to be insanely fast. Plus almost all the records in the last couple years have been broken in one iteration or another of them which does make me curious.

On 10/18/2019 at 10:00 AM, baxus said:

That is an insane amount to me. Don't see why a recreational runner would spend that much on a pair of shoes, but I guess there are plenty of people willing to do it.

Agreed. I feel the same way about running watches, where you're paying 2-5 times as much for the higher models that only seem to have a few extra features. For 90% of amateur runners, that feels like overkill, especially on things like battery life where the base models have a pretty good duration already. Perhaps I'm undervaluing features like smart pay though...

I've struggled a bit with running this week, but I have been out for 3 short runs. Today I did 6k, most of which was really steady - but I did go for it on a local Strava segment and got my first "CR", which is nice. Also a 1K PB in the process - 3:42. My second best half mile time is apparently 2:59, so maybe I'm not as close as I thought to a sub-6 minute mile...but hey ho. Back out tomorrow for a long slow run so at least my mileage will be back up.

After years of rowing I was quite fed up with the machine and hated it rather passionately which resulted in avoiding it whenever possible. On Friday we did a circuit workout where one of the stations was the rowing machine and surprisingly it felt pretty cool. It could be because sets were only a minute long, though. :D 

I've gone running on Saturday for the first time in months and quite enjoyed an easy 5k run along the river in my neighbourhood.

EDIT:

@Iskaral Pust I am yet to try on a pair of running shoes that aren't comfortable. Especially Adidas. Those fit my foot like a sock, I don't even need to try them on - a pair of 43 1/3 and I'm good to go.

Edited by baxus

You Yanks with your barbaric units of measurement. :P 

European sizes, man. Look it up. ;) 

Just checked my shoes, European 43 1/3 is size 9 1/2 US.

1 hour ago, baxus said:

You Yanks with your barbaric units of measurement. :P 

European sizes, man. Look it up. ;) 

Just checked my shoes, European 43 1/3 is size 9 1/2 US.

Are you sure you haven't confused US and UK sizes? They are similar but not identical. From what I found 9 1/2 US is more like 42 European. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Shoesize-adult-en.svg

Two weeks left of my 12 week program/goal and I'm pretty happy that I have been able to stick with it.  Chest and back today, but we did a lot of chest in my barre class on Saturday - so I was still a bit sore and stuck to 100 push ups and reverse flies instead of the 130 I wanted.  Felt pretty good still.  Hovering around the 10 lbs lost mark after 10 weeks, but seeing some noticeable gains in strength, size, and endurance.  

I do think my metabolism is slowing down after this 3 month cut, so I'm going to increase my kcals 100 a week for the following 6 weeks finishing off at around 2300 kcals a day before starting another 12 week cut cycle.  Hoping that will help speed up the metabolism while doing a mini-bulk phase.

5 hours ago, Loge said:

Are you sure you haven't confused US and UK sizes? They are similar but not identical. From what I found 9 1/2 US is more like 42 European. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f6/Shoesize-adult-en.svg

As I said I checked the shoes I'm wearing at the moment. Those are Adidas EUR 43 1/3, US 9 1/2, UK 9.

Shoe sizes are wildly inconsistent anyway.  I wear 11.5 US in sneakers, which is 11 UK or 46 European. 

But when I wear dress shoes it’s usually 11 US for standard width (D) or 10.5 US if they have a really wide fit (EEE) available. 

So for each new shoe producer, I have to first figure out how their length corresponds.  But once I know that, then it’s usually consistent.  I can buy new Adidas online and just trust that 11.5 will be fine. 

Edit: correct conversion to other regions.

Edited by Iskaral Pust

I've been away this week but still managed to get in some miles (and build on the previous week, which is the important thing). That said, for a number of reasons all my runs have been fairly slow. I think that's partly because Edinburgh is a lot hillier than anything I've been running on for years now, but also just a sense of wanting to look around - and in particular not get lost. I did succeed in getting up Arthur's Seat the other night, but I definitely won't be attempting that again without a headtorch. Super dangerous, but also my favourite run in months. 

Planned to get a run and/or a swim in over the weekend but ended up not doing either, due to some last minute changes to my schedule and a bit of laziness on my part.

Did a crossfit session this morning so I'm back on track again. Hopefully, it lasts a while now. :D 

I had two very good weeks of consistent exercise and then last week was obliterated by work travel and then by moving house half way across the country.

But now we’re finally situated, at least for the next several months.  Our leased condo has a very basic fitness center, so my wife and I joined a commercial gym (Equinox).  I don’t know yet how much time the new job will leave for exercise, but I do at least have access to good equipment when time permits. 

I will finally be able to use barbells instead of a Smith Machine.  So I’ll have to be slightly careful about my form as I make that change. 

Well, finished my 3 month goal of sticking to my workout plan and diet.  Did really well with IIFYM, lost 15 lbs total, and definitely gained a good bit of muscle in the process of lifting again.  Going to stick with my 10x10s for the next couple of weeks, then switch it up to a full body HIIT program until the new year; then go to 4 day push/pull/lower/upper split for a 3 month bulk, then cut again before summer.  First time I've had a plan like this and really felt like I'll have no problem sticking to it.

@aceluby well done.  Your diet control is seriously impressive.

I did three sessions this week at the new gym, with another ahead on Sunday.  I had to reduce weight on squats in order to master stability and form, but I expect to progress again once I’m used to the free barbell.  Deadlifts with a hex bar were easier for form than with a straight bar.  Pull-ups were awkward because none of the frames offer a regular straight bar; they’re all variations on angles.

I also had an intro session today with a trainer.  My body fat is 16% (about what I thought) and my overall composition is pretty good. He says I could definitely progress my lifts by 30-40% if I train with him because I’ve been too repetitive in my lifts.  My old condo gym didn’t have enough equipment for significant variation.  Of course he just wants a client, but I may try a session per month for a while to see if it helps. 

Thanks @Iskaral Pust!  Losing weight hasn't been hard for me (lord knows I've done it enough times now).  Gaining weight.... also not hard ;) .  What's been really hard is finding a balance once the weight comes off.  I'm really hoping to lose another 10 lbs, get down to 190, then carefully work my way back up to 205 over a 12 week period, and then cut down to 190 again with 5-10lbs of muscle I didn't have this year. 

Today was leg day.  100 60 lbs kettlebell squats and swings in supersets, starting each superset every 3 minutes.  Works out to about 90 sec on, 90 sec off.  Then a few sets of calf raises and 30 lbs weighted situps.  Feeling a bit sluggish now, hopefully a walk this afternoon will loosen things up again.

Well, I've been consistently running, but my times are really struggling lately. Work has been insanely full on so I'm mostly glad that I've just maintained 3-4 runs per week, but I suppose it's also impacting my actual times as well. No PBs any time recently, or anything like it. 

Hopefully come December I'll be breathing a bit easier at work and I can focus on nailing down my running.