Leap

Exercise & Fitness: Summer Bodies (TBD)

@Iskaral Pust, a pint of Ben and Jerry's is a serving size and that's just a known fact!

I've just returned from a vacation to see the rest of my family. Ate tons, but since we were up in the mountains also got to stay pretty active (including hiking a 14er), and hit one easy training run. Back home today with an easy 3 miler, have an 8 mile long run tomorrow. On track for my half marathon next month! It's probably going to be slow but I'm beginning to think I'll actually be able to finish.

As far as weight, not having so much luck with that. I am trying to be healthy, but I'm more focused on enjoying time with my boyfriend before he has to return to his home country and getting all my training in. Been roughly constant about 8 pounds above my goal weight for a while.

3 hours ago, Starkess said:

@Iskaral Pust, a pint of Ben and Jerry's is a serving size and that's just a known fact!

Preach it!   And enjoy your time with family and bf.  No point in fixating on diet while in a vacation mindset. 

@Impmk2 best of luck in your marathon. 

Through an act of supreme self discipline, I did manage to get two midweek workouts after all.  I did legs on Tuesday evening after work and then got up early on Wednesday morning for shoulder press and pull-ups before going to the airport.  Since then it has been long work days, terrible sleep in hotels, indulgent dinners with clients, and too much sitting in conference rooms, airplanes and taxis.  But I’m back now and will get two more sessions over the weekend. 

My weight is still up at 187-188lbs, but thankfully none of my pants or belts feel tight.  I’m getting back to a sensible diet without stressing about it.  I’m eating well while at home (except for that ice cream binge), but it’s the restaurants when out of town that set me back.

Lots of sleep needed tonight.  I’m so looking forward to it.

I’m still doing a short run after weights when time permits.  I tried running outdoor on the lakefront trail right beside us, but the water level in Lake Michigan is very high this summer, which means the lakefront trail between Ohio St. beach and Oak St. beach is under water.  So running there means edging into the bike trail, with has a ~15 degree lateral tilt that I can really feel in my knee ligaments.  So despite the beautiful weather and lake breeze, I’ve resigned myself to running on the treadmill instead.  It’s a pity.  This is the devastation of global warming. 

I've been running/hiking 2-4 hours everyday for the past few months I added in the running as my weight loss had platituded, that worked but I've noticed I'm getting some pain in my left shin so I stopped the running today but continued on through the local forests/lake/gourges. I decided to load carry instead so I headed to some shops got two 2 litre bottles of drink and carried these back home that took about an hour, for a total of a 3 hour trip.  Weighed myself and saw my weight has gone down again (though mostly water loss of course) but it seems to have done the trick and my leg doesn't hurt!  I'm averaging 3 hours a day training and will run if my leg doesn't hurt, if it does I'll go pick up some heavy shopping and carry it home.  The other day I checked my resting pulse it was 55, down from 60, this is from adding in the running, the improvement in my cardio from adding in the running is significant.  Down 28lbs another 20 to go to my goal.

Marathon update:

Ran a 3:25:18 (4:51/k pace). Super happy with the time given the knee playing up, and the fucking horrible conditions. Was blowing a gale, 6C with an apparent temperature of close to freezing on the start line, and sporadic rain throughout.

Last 10k were into a massive headwind which near broke me. Still, great experience. Has to be the hardest run I've ever completed.

Today I loaded up 15lbs into my backpack and hiked/1 hour, left the backpack locked to my bike, then alternated between sprinting and walking for 2 hours.  No pain in my calf! (I think it was a tendon near the shin).  I now have instead an aching right tricep lol, but it's not the same sort of pain more in line with the other aches in my body (and soul lol).  I think I'm suited to the sprinting especially upwards, my quads are big from weight training, I went on a spin cycle to see how fast I could sprint and did 34 mph for a short distance, I'd love to crack 40 mph I don't know how that will translate to road cycling.

Heatwave ongoing in Belgrade at the moment, 35ºC temperatures for days now. Working out is much more difficult for me in that weather. I manage it by going to crossfit before work, but when I'd like to throw in a run on the weekend I just can't. Waking up at 6 o'clock is fine by me on workdays but on weekends I try to sleep in for as long as the kid lets me. And even at 7.30 it's already 25-27ºC which is too hot for me.

Hopefully, workout conditions will improve this weekend and I'll be able to go for a run, since the forecast is for heatwave ending on Thursday.

A little over a week back into working out again and I'm down 7 lbs.  I know I've been carrying a lot of water weight, but had no idea it was that much.  Started getting up at 5 every morning to get a workout in and bought some kettlebells and have been doing different variations of those plus some bodyweight exercises and some HIIT for my cardio.  Also introduced a morning  & afternoon protein shake and just counting calories on the diet side, staying under 2,000 kcals.  So far so good.  Gonna try to stick to this for a 12 week cut, then I'm going to up my kcals to 3,000 for an 8-12 week bulk phase.

A nice easy day for me today, just a 2 hour walk.  In my wildest dreams I'll achieve 40mph/10seconds, currently at 34mph/6 on the bike, quite a diffence indeed, still I feel I have a chance!  Athletically I have two routes:  200m time trial, the other would involved losing quite a lot of muscle and walk/sprint utramarathons.  I love the outdoors so the second is a definite in the farther future.  I've been avoiding sprinting because I thought it would injure myself but I found jogging was doing that to me and sprinting and walking is amazing!

I got two midweek workouts again, with legs on Tuesday evening and then shoulder press and pull-ups on Wednesday evening. 

Weekend workouts will be a challenge this time.  We’ll be visiting friends out of town.  I have an ambitious plan to do legs again on Friday evening and then do bench press and rowing on Saturday morning just before we leave.  There’s a sizable risk that will fall through.

One thing I'm happy to report is that after once reporting that I could only hand for like 30 seconds I can get like 1:30 now, and that's even doing some stuff up there like leg raises.  There's some kind of mental trick, at least for me, where doing the leg raises creates some kind of distraction from the grip element that allows me to go a bit further where I felt like I was dying a 50 seconds and then start going those and before I know it I'm still up there at 90.  

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

One thing I'm happy to report is that after once reporting that I could only hand for like 30 seconds I can get like 1:30 now, and that's even doing some stuff up there like leg raises.  There's some kind of mental trick, at least for me, where doing the leg raises creates some kind of distraction from the grip element that allows me to go a bit further where I felt like I was dying a 50 seconds and then start going those and before I know it I'm still up there at 90.  

A good mental trick for grip strength is “melting steel”.  When deadlifting or doing pull-ups, imagine your grip is so strong that your fingers are sinking into the bar, pressing deep grooves into the steel.  It’s like the idea of aiming your punch through a point rather than to a point.

16 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

A good mental trick for grip strength is “melting steel”.  When deadlifting or doing pull-ups, imagine your grip is so strong that your fingers are sinking into the bar, pressing deep grooves into the steel.  It’s like the idea of aiming your punch through a point rather than to a point.

Great tip thanks.   I've also seen online talk about focusing on squeezing the bar on other lifts.  

I actually did manage to reach the gym on Friday evening and Saturday morning.  And then ate too much while visiting our friends.

I think I'll be able to get two midweek gym sessions this week too.

Back on the bike after accident earlier in the summer, its amazing how sore your ass gets when its not used to it. 

I'm thinking about running a half-marathon in Ljubljana, Slovenia at the end of October.

Would probably work great for my weight loss but it would be a struggle to add two more runs a week for the next two months to my workout schedule. 

Managed to get a decent run in tonight after a dodgy month due to work - my weekly streak is still just about intact, but I've really lost my groove unfortunately. Also a persistent almost-shin splint in my right leg isn't going away. However, tonight's 5k wasn't too bad, at 4:24/km I haven't lost too much yet. 

Had a great few days hiking last weekend. On Saturday we went out on a route that I hadn't necessarily thought too hard about, mileage wise. Ended up being 23 miles, which I had no trouble with. I am trying to get my running back on track, but I would also like to see if I can go out and do a 30 mile hike some day soon. 

The fact that it was already 26ºC when I left home this morning around 6.45 combined with the fact I had business dinner rather late last night made my morning crossfit workout quite interesting. :blink: 

Also, I've lost what little strength for strict pull-ups I had before my three and a half months break. Will need to improve that soon.

Tendonitis in my knee is still giving me grief 1.5 weeks post marathon. Turns out running 42k on a dodgy knee isn't the best idea. Who knew?!

Ah, the feeling of setting a goal with a date and achieving it. The wedding is this Friday, and I'm a pound under my target goal I set in May. Didn't get the ab definition I wanted, probably because I refused to cut out beer, but still it feels good, and where it really shows is in athletics. Been killing it playing tennis this summer (not so much on the links though). Next goal is to have a six pack and to start packing on some bulk by the end of the year. I got a lot leaner in my limbs than I expected (I had a really low cal diet, so it makes sense).